PDA

View Full Version : eBay Express?

Steve
04-26-2006, 02:14 AM
I like this idea and I think it will take off. You shouldn't have to buy and sell everything with an auction format. That gets old if you just want to sell something fast or buy something fast.

Would you use this service? What do you think of it? Good or bad move for eBay?

Redherring (http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=16630&hed=eBay+Offers+Fixed+Prices) - eBay has begun previewing a web site called eBay Express that offers fixed prices from eBay merchants to help shoppers avoid the sometimes-disappointing auction process.

To keep the site from running into the kinds of fraud complaints that eBay is accustomed to dealing with, the Express site is only open to sellers who have achieved a positive feedback score of 98 percent or more. They also need to have accumulated 100 points or more in feedback from buyers. All the merchants are based in the United States.

To make buyers feel even more secure, all their purchases are covered by a purchase protection system that allows them to recover the full purchase amount from sellers who do not deliver the items as promised.

tiedeman
04-26-2006, 02:26 AM
my personal opinion on ebay: It's a dead dog. People are looking elsewhere due to the high fees with ebay.

Steve
04-26-2006, 02:27 AM
Oh very interesting. What other sites do you feel are better to use than eBay?

How do the fees differ?

tiedeman
04-26-2006, 02:33 AM
I personally don't know if they are 100% better, but I keep on hearing about people using UbId or the Yahoo Auction.

I am not ripping on ebay or anything, I have an account with them, have sold and bought in the past, very nice setup, but I think that their time is coming to an end. They are going to end up another silicon valley failure.

tiedeman
04-26-2006, 02:37 AM
I also forgot about Amazon.

I just pulled up their market analysis for the past 2 years, and they peaked at about 60 in December of 04, but since then they have mostly been in the 30 to 40 range. They currently sit at 34 I think

kc2006
04-26-2006, 07:10 AM
I agree with Troy. The fee's are getting crazy. It used to be cheap to list stuff, now to list an item that starts at $500 I'm looking at about $7 to list it (a basic listing really) and then 1.5% of the close price I believe, plus 3% is taken out of paypal is they pay with paypal.

I don't see why they're going with the ebay express, if you don't want auction format just look for auctions that are "buy it now" boom done. I just saved ebay alot of money instead of starting another website http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif