PDA

View Full Version : New to the lawn care game.

Gopher Lawns
04-25-2009, 02:01 AM
Hi everyone,

I have decided to start my own lawn care business here in New Zealand. I hope to do this part time at first then hopefully go to a full time situation. I joined up to make friends and mentors who could give me new ideas and advise when I need it. As far as I've seen nobody does lawn care like Americans here. I was interested to know how much the average American family spends on their lawn care a year. I would also like to know how much it costs to mow an average 1/4 acre section there and what services you provide for the money. I look forward to getting to know you.

Gopher Lawn Care

Steve
04-25-2009, 02:10 AM
Hello and welcome to our forum!

As far as pricing goes, did you see the average lawn care price (http://www.gopherforum.com/uploaded-files/pages/average-price.php) page here? That could help you out quite a bit.

What got you interested in starting your own business? Did you ever run a business before?

Gopher Lawns
04-25-2009, 03:26 AM
Hi Steve,

Yes I do have business experience but in another field and have decided that I need to do something I enjoy. The outdoors is where I like to be, I like the idea of not having to invest so much money to see reasonable profits. Do you know of any software programs that work in meters and liters that we can use to estimate quantities.

Steve
04-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Yes I do have business experience but in another field

What kind of field was it ?

Do you know of any software programs that work in meters and liters that we can use to estimate quantities.
For what kind of estimating?

Gopher Lawns
04-26-2009, 01:36 AM
I'm from the Hospitality business running Hotels and restaurants. I was interested in estimating mowing times and fertilizer applications but we use the metric system here. Just like to say this is a fantastic site really appreciate your help.

Steve
04-26-2009, 08:41 PM
I was interested in estimating mowing times.

I am thinking you should be able to use the free estimator still although you might have to convert the distances. I should play around with that.

I'm from the Hospitality business running Hotels and restaurants.

What skills do you think you were able to bring with you from that field into your lawn care business?