PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Equipment question

tomcat172002
04-23-2009, 07:27 PM
The other day I went and bought new Stihl equipment. When I got to the dealership the guy said we have one trimmer but we don't have the edger your looking for. He asked me if I could wait a few days? Then the salesman said hold on a second he came back and said we do have one left. When I got it looked like they just wiped off alot of dust also it had a chalk mark x on the muffler. I got home and tried it out it was ok but it seemed to hesitate when I ran it. I called Stihl gave them the serial number and asked when it was produced. They said 07. I paid full price I would expect a 2009. Stihl said we don't keep our products like that. I understand but for $400 for an edger thats more than most lawnmowers. I called the dealership and they told me they would try to fix it but they won't exchange it. I called Stihl and asked them they told me the regional manager will give me a call tomorrow. I don't want to burn any bridges with the dealership but at the same time I don't want to get screwed either. Also I am a small guy with just 20 customers I don't have a fleet or alot of money either. I just wanted a good new edger not a problem piece of equipment that the dealership just unloaded on me (if thats what this is??) What do you guys think?

picframer
04-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Well my opinion is that it should have been a new product, I have a lot of Stihl equipment including edgers and never have an issue with them, I buy through John Deere so even if I used something, if I didn't like it they would take it back no question.

I have no idea what the laws are in your state, where I live I can force any seller to take back any product for 30 days, even a vehicle.

Steve W
04-23-2009, 09:26 PM
I would not let the dealer push his junk off on me. I would take it back and tell them if they want me as a future customer they need to replace it TODAY!

tomcat172002
04-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Well I called Stihl back today. The rep told me that the dealer said they would take it back and they were supposed to call me. The Dealership never did. I called and said when can I come in and pick up my new edger? I went in and they opened the box on a new edger. They changed out the bottom heads and I used it. It seemed to work great. But the other one they put right back on the shelf. Its like they never believed me that it wasn't working right. Also the new model was a little different then the 2007 I could tell by the sitickers. These guys never even gave me the courtsey to call me back!?! They carry Scag and Stihl and are really close to my house. But I can help but feel they tried to screw me. This is the only downside to grass cutting for me dealing with them. Does anyone else have these problems?

majoe7
04-24-2009, 09:44 PM
I went in and they opened the box on a new edger. They changed out the bottom heads and I used it. It seemed to work great. But the other one they put right back on the shelf.

I am wondering why you just didn't take the one in the box and say Thanks, see ya? Why would they have to change out anything? This must be their practice of taking advantage of customers or know that you are a small LCO for now and tried to scam you.

IMO, I wouldn't deal with them in the future they might try to overcharge you if you had to have repairs made at their business. When you pay for something that is new, New is New.