PDA

View Full Version : Global economy

Steve
04-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Do you feel a global economy improves our competitiveness in the U.S. or does it hurt us?

tiedeman
04-17-2006, 10:44 PM
I feel it hurts us. Look at China right now. The last 5 years of their growth, has dramatically hurt us not only in steel prices, but gas prices as well

Steve
04-18-2006, 12:33 AM
The thing I think of especially is the auto industry. Is out auto industry going through a shake up now because of the global economy and ultimately is that a good thing for us or not?

I was watching a show on Delphi and GM. They said Delphi made spark plugs for GM. It cost Delphi $2.00 per plug to make them and GM bought them for $1.50. The math made no sense and I am guessing this is why Delphi has gone bankrupt.

GM now buys spark plugs from China for $.50 a piece.

Will this force us to rethink the way we make things and make us more competitive?

kc2006
04-18-2006, 12:43 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ April 18 2006,1:33)]Will this force us to rethink the way we make things and make us more competitive?
I think there's only so far you can go to rethink things or make systems more effecient.

It's like the lawn industry, take someone who does nothing by the books and he can charge 15 a lawn and still make money, where as us who do everything by the books would need 25+ just to make a profit from it.

I think it's all because of their labor costs, that's how they're getting away with doing stuff cheap, but alot of times their material isn't as high quality as ours (steel for example)

Steve
04-18-2006, 03:04 PM
That is a very good point. What I wonder next is what happens when the people of these other countries want to be paid more and want better lifestyles. Then wouldn't the cost of production go up in those countries?

tiedeman
04-18-2006, 05:42 PM
I personally think what is going to happen is two things:
1. The US is going to start to invade these oil rich countries and take them over. Perfect example is Iran which is the 2nd largest oil producer. If the US was to invade Iran right now, take over the government, take over the oil fields, then probably gas prices would dramatically decrease.

2. The US is going to become a third world country.

Steve
04-18-2006, 09:56 PM
I would like to see more innovative technology development to help us use alternative energies. Such as solar.

We have many bright minds, I would like to see them put it to great use.

tiedeman
04-18-2006, 10:07 PM
I can honestly see gas at $4.00 a gallon this summer

Steve
04-18-2006, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't bet against you.

The thing I wonder now is, was it such a great idea to let Exxon and Mobil merge?

tiedeman
04-18-2006, 10:15 PM
I am totally for the government taking over the oil industry. Let them set the prices for the industry. I don't see why each state should have it's own set rate for the entire state. It's the same as taxes. Each state has their own state tax. Why can't they do that with the oil? For example, I am paying $2.95 here in gas right now, yet 20 miles away, the price is only $2.80. Why? Set the price the same in the entire state.

Perhaps the state should step in, instead of the federal side then.

Steve
04-19-2006, 12:46 AM
Did you see this?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006....58.html (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/04/14/amid-soaring-gas-prices-_n_19158.html)

Last year, Exxon made the biggest profit of any company ever, $36 billion, and its retiring chairman appears to be reaping the benefits.

Exxon is giving Lee Raymond one of the most generous retirement packages in history, nearly $400 million, including pension, stock options and other perks, such as a $1 million consulting deal, two years of home security, personal security, a car and driver, and use of a corporate jet for professional purposes.

maelawncare
04-25-2006, 05:13 PM
makes you feel like you got into the wrong industry huh??

kc2006
04-25-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm really hoping something is done about the gas prices, it's just sick. I've never spent over $3 a gallon, got it at 2.99 today, I would refuse to drive if it gets to 4 dollars (aside from business driving). While I was filling up today I was thinking, I should start charging for estimates, $3-$5 that would be refunded if they sign on. It could be good or bad, it would either weed out the price shoppers and leave serious calls only...or it would scare everyone away because no one charges for estimates.

When I bought my diesel, fuel was 1.35 a gallon, and I had been paying 2.25-2.50 for about a whole year before that for regular gas. I bought the truck and it went up to 1.65 and never went down, I've owned it for a little under 2 years now and prices have more then doubled...just sick.

Steve
04-25-2006, 09:19 PM
Do you think this will help at all?

Bush takes aim at rising gasoline prices

CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/25/bush.energy/index.html) - Calling the oil issue a matter of national security, President Bush outlined a plan Tuesday to cut gasoline costs and temporarily stopped deposits to the U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

tiedeman
04-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Nope, it will not help at all. *Bush is just putting up a smoke screen.

Right now, I know some sentators are trying to eliminate the federal tax on gas for a while

Steve
04-25-2006, 09:51 PM
What percentage is the federal tax on gas? How much is your state tax on it?

tiedeman
04-25-2006, 11:31 PM
I think the federal is around 18 cents a gallon.

Each state is different in regards to tax. *I know here in Michigan it's around 19 cents a gallon and a 6% sales tax. As well as some type of environmental fee

tiedeman
04-25-2006, 11:34 PM
Gas Tax (http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp)