PDA

View Full Version : Side racks

tomcat172002
04-20-2009, 09:50 PM
I have a question regarding my side racks. The edges of the racks are tearing up my trimmer and edger . I have tried everything from putting innertubes on it to foam. Everything just seams to wear down. What can I do to stop the edges from cutting into my equipment?

Steve
04-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Tom do you have a picture of the specific area so we can see whats going on?

justin_time
04-20-2009, 10:07 PM
These racks will solve your problem

http://www.trailerracks.com

Steve
04-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Justin,

Do they solve the problem because there is less wiggle room? Is the wiggle room that is causing the wear and tear?

The tighter the fit the better?

swstout
04-20-2009, 10:11 PM
I have a question regarding my side racks. The edges of the racks are tearing up my trimmer and edger . I have tried everything from putting innertubes on it to foam. Everything just seams to wear down. What can I do to stop the edges from cutting into my equipment?

I use indor/outdoor carpet remnants. They are a pain to put on (I sewed them on and then bolted them in one place), but they seem to be holding up.

Steve

majoe7
04-20-2009, 10:32 PM
I have equipments racks that are rubberized also and they do to tend to scuff up my equipment a little. Wear and tear. What I have done is that I find some old wash towels and fold them in and place them around the bar and push down on the clamp to secure them. They stay in place and keep everything snug like a bug. No wiggle room.

Maybe this can help you out.

justin_time
04-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Justin,

Do they solve the problem because there is less wiggle room? Is the wiggle room that is causing the wear and tear?

The tighter the fit the better?

There are blocks that you install on the trimmer permanent (you can always remove them) but they stay put when you use it until it goes back on the rack

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280/jitys/trimmer.gif

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280/jitys/Support_Side.jpg

Steve
04-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Oh I didnt get that last time you showed it. THAT IS COOL!

justin_time
04-20-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm ordering these pretty soon.. CAN'T WAIT !!!

usmcman001
04-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Justin I just got mine last week. Havent put them on yet but will tomorrow hopefully. Tehy seem well built. Ill post some pics when done.

Steve
04-21-2009, 12:47 AM
I can't wait to see.

Do the blocks get in the way at all?

tomcat172002
04-21-2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the input.

I just ordered the trimmer racks. That is my problem that my side equipment has been taking a beating from the racks. This looks like it should eliminate the problem.

Thanks

Tom

usmcman001
04-21-2009, 10:26 AM
From the looks they do not get in the way at all. They are small and very light aluminum. I am thinking about painting them black though. They come in safety yellow only according to the manuf. I called to see if I could order something else and they said they do this for safety and to be able to look out mirrors when leaving job to make sure you have tools.

walkerlawncare09
04-21-2009, 11:54 AM
I dont know your set up and i see you have already ordered the trailer racks.

But I had my trailer racks built ($15) and lined the inside w/ the soft part of velcro strips and that keeps them from turning and putting wear on the shafts.

Just an idea that worked for me.

usmcman001
04-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Well went and bought black hammered spray paint this afternoon and painted the racks to get rid of the yellow! I couldnt stand it. Well next I mounted the pieces that stay permanent on the tools and guess what they dont stay tight like advertised!!! NO!!!!! I already painted the bars! I have all echo equipment. I am calling in the morning! This sucks as I have a bunch of work tomorrow and wanted to try it out. I thought about using a piece of yard hose so the clamo stays tight. I expected different with spending this much.

tomcat172002
04-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Let me know about what happens. I hope this system works with my equipment it sure did cost enough.

usmcman001
04-22-2009, 11:04 PM
I called and they it was because I use Residential equip right now. The tubing is smaller diameter. I solved it though I got 3/4 pvd and cut a piece and split it to pop on shafts and it fits perfect now. I used it otday for my jobs and no spinning and it is perfect!!! Love it. Get pics tomorrow.!

Steve
04-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Oh that's creative! Looking forwards to seeing them!

Nice job.

justin_time
05-07-2009, 12:07 PM
I just ordered myself some racks from http://www.trailerracks.com

Expected delivery date from Florida is May 12.. CAN'T WAIT

Will post pictures

justin_time
05-08-2009, 08:54 AM
My racks are on the way. Their currently in Buffalo, NY right now, I assume they will cross the border tonight and will be in Toronto tomorrow then in my hands Tuesday morning.

I can't wait :D

voodooray
05-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Yeah, I cant wait to see the pictures.

usmcman001: I am with you on the paint! I dont think I could stand the bright yellow.

Anyway, I want to buy this rack too... just waiting to see some more pictures and real world feedback on them first

-ray

justin_time
05-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Yeah, I cant wait to see the pictures.

usmcman001: I am with you on the paint! I dont think I could stand the bright yellow.

Anyway, I want to buy this rack too... just waiting to see some more pictures and real world feedback on them first

-ray

I am keeping the Yellow, it will match with my new letters/stickers on my trailer

voodooray
05-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Well thats cool for you since it will match your lettering like you said. My trailer is all black, I am designing a front rack for storage and such, when that is done I will install 24x24" signs there on each side.

justin_time
05-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Well thats cool for you since it will match your lettering like you said. My trailer is all black, I am designing a front rack for storage and such, when that is done I will install 24x24" signs there on each side.

My trailer is also black.

hotwired
05-13-2009, 05:05 AM
I was just ranting and raving about this yesterday!! I would say that 99.99% of my 2 cycle wear and tear comes from being on the racks. These do look like they'll solve quite a bit. I use a smaller trailer, 10' with single axle and I live in Maine (pot holes, frost heaves, etc.) so my trailer is f****** airborne half the time I'm driving! ** (I self censored) ** I'm thinking these will help with the bouncing ** These things get shaken so much that when I look in the rear view mirror, it looks like the engine is going to get ripped right off the shaft ** Has anyone seen those new trimmer racks that have the "boxes" on them ????

voodooray
05-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Hey Justin! How's it going, I take it you got your racks and are installing them or already have.

Just wondering if you took any pictures yet?????

justin_time
05-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Hey Justin! How's it going, I take it you got your racks and are installing them or already have.

Just wondering if you took any pictures yet?????

Yeah I got 1 rack installed, i have to drill holes through the side rails and it ain't easy. I need a bigger drill (will borrow my dad's hammer drill so I can do the rest)

My trimmer rack is installed, I have the spool rack (for trimmer line) and the hand tool rack to install.

Be patient, i will get you guys pictures when it's all done, and with the letters and new signs. It will look sharp :)

tomcat172002
05-17-2009, 12:33 PM
I just bought the trailer rack system. Its awesome. I love everything about it. They solved all the problems that I was having. I guess my only question is what do I do with the old ones?

Steve W
05-17-2009, 12:41 PM
I just bought the trailer rack system. Its awesome. I love everything about it. They solved all the problems that I was having. I guess my only question is what do I do with the old ones?