PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

JDS3
04-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Hello everyone. My name is John. I have been recently laid off from the pipeline and want to start my own lawn care business. I live in North Louisiana. I look forward to reading the forums and see what everyone has to say. I have already enrolled in the school and will be starting that asap.

See you on the forum, John

Steve
04-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi John,

Welcome to our forum!

I am glad to hear you enrolled in the online lawn school class (http://www.gopherforum.com/index.php?pageid=GopherHaul-Lawn-Care-Business-School) that really should get you on your feet.

What kinds of things are you planning on doing to get the word out about your business?

Have you ever run a business before?

JDS3
04-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Never really run a business. I do have a friend that does mow some lawns on the side for extra cash and has to turn ppl away everyday due to his regular job. So he is gonna start telling them to call me.

As far as getting my name out, I plan on doing flyers and business cards. I have several really nice neighborhoods in my area and surounding areas. Figured i would go around passing out flyers.

Steve
04-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Are you involved in any community based organizations you can also network and market through?

don black
04-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Hi Everyone , I'm New To This So I Thought I Would Say Hello And Introduce Myself. My Name Is Don Black, I Just Started My Own Lawn Care Services This Year,and I Am Interested In Getting Some Tips From Everyone On How To Get Buisness,i Have Buisness Cards On Their Way,flyers Are Done And Passed Some Out Already,i Do Work Full Time, But If I Can Get Egnough Buisness, I Will Quit My Current Job (which I Do Not Like Anyway) It Just Seems Like The Current Economy Is Having Alot Of People Cut Their Own Lawns,also I Have Heard To Price The Job At $1 A Minute ? So A 1 Hour Job Would Be A $60 Job. I Would Like To Make Money And Gain Customers By Seeing The Excellent Work That I Do. Any Help And Suggestions Would Be Appreciated. Thanks, Don

Steve
04-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Hi Don,

Welcome to our forum!

Did you let everyone know on your block you are now in business? Do all your friends and family know? How were you distributing your flyers?

don black
04-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks For Responding, Everyone On The Block Here Is Aware Of My Buisness Now, I Have Had A Few People Take Flyers For Me ,to The Beauty Salon Or Their Jobs,i Also Put Some In Paper Boxes And Also Spoke To A Few People And Gave Them One As Well, Alot Of The Feedback I Am Getting Is The Economy Forcing Them To Save By Mowing The Lawn Themselves.i Do Offer Them Fair And Very Competitive Pricing, I Try To Stay A Little Lower Than Everyone Else If Possible, And The Few Fellow Lawn Care Companies I Have Talked To Really Dont Offer Much Help On Getting Customers, I Know Times Are Hard But I Not Gonna Go Cut Their Throat To Get A Customer From Them, Then You Get A Few People Who Try To Lowball You, But I Hold My Own On My Price,i Offer Mowing, Mulching,weedeating ,edging ,hedge Trimming, Gutter Cleaning And Debris Removal ,as Well As Some Flower Beds And Fertilizing, But Not Getting The Response I Would Like To Get ! Any Suggestions?

Steve
04-20-2009, 09:04 PM
But Not Getting The Response I Would Like To Get !

This is fascinating. What kind of responses would you be satisfied with?

Any Suggestions?
I think anything you can do, one time job wise, that can give you an opportunity to meet a new customer is a great thing. If you can do jobs homeowners don't want to or can't, you could open the door for other services like lawn care.

Have you experimented with craigslist.com in your area?

don black
04-20-2009, 09:18 PM
I Would Like To Hear That They Will Keep Me In Mind Or They May Know Someone That They Can Refer Me To ,or Great Estimate Let Me Think About It .

I Never Push Anybody, I Just Explain What I Will Do For Them And How Satisfaction Will Be Guaranteed,and That Other Services Are Available For A Fee ,depending On The Service Needed.

I've Tried Advertising On Craigslist,got A Few Phone Calls But Nothing To Promising,i Actually Have 2 Postings On There Now, But I Am Currently In The Process Of Making Signs For My Trailer, So That May Pull In Some New Customers.

Steve
04-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Well I think what is really important is getting to know people. When they know you, they will think of you and call you when they need your services. The more people you know the better.

This is the tough part of getting started. Making that jump to where people now accept that Don is a guy who runs a lawn care business. That I need to call Don when I need such services.

Have you thought or any wild or outlandish promotional ideas that you just weren't too sure you would like to experiment with?

What do you think that could set you apart the most?