PDA

View Full Version : Lawn care trade magazines

Steve
04-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Is it me or do you feel that lawn care trade magazine talk over the head of the average new start up lawn care business?

Have you ever found that to be the case or no?

turfmaster
04-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Maybe for those who no nothing at all about lawn care. But then again those people might be a little premature in going into the business . That is why forums like this are way better than the trade magazines. I think anybody wanting to go in this business should spend a year on this forum reading and asking questions. When I started 20+ years ago there was no internet. Longer learning curve for sure. :)

Steve
04-19-2009, 10:06 PM
When you were first getting started, what do you think were the sticking points?

What was the toughest part about getting started that you wish you would have known more about?

turfmaster
04-19-2009, 10:15 PM
I would have to say marketing and then equipment choices. Like everything else equipment is faster and better than 20 years ago.

Steve
04-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Marketing is one of those things that seem like mystical especially when you first get started.

If nothing is working, you tend to think if I throw some money at any marketing, it will improve my situation.

What advice would you have to new lawn care business owners about marketing
?

turfmaster
04-19-2009, 10:56 PM
To be honest word of mouth from my current customers and talking face to face with potential new customers (selling them on my services and company)
have worked the best for me. Yes I do the flyers still and newspaper ads but I like the salesmanship part of running my small business.

Steve
04-19-2009, 10:59 PM
but I like the salesmanship part of running my small business.

Do you feel like you were always into being a salesman for your business or is that something that you developed over time?

I think this is something many newer lawn care business owners really don't jump on. It's not the norm that someone is a showman and really loves driving in new sales. Most people seem to prefer sitting back and waiting for sales to come to them.

That is a big problem, especially when you just get started.

turfmaster
04-19-2009, 11:24 PM
The salesmanship thing did evolve over time. One thing for sure competition was not that fierce 20 some years ago in lawn care. The hard part nowadays about getting started is getting the customers. My advice is to target a subdivision or area in which you would like to work. Pass out the flyers not on the paper boxes but go to the front door and place them. Sometimes you will meet the homeowner that way and you can talk to them about your services.
People will connect your face with your flyer. I always staple my business card to the flyer also. This looks much more professional. Most people don't like them rolled up flyers on their mail box flags and that is illegal. They don't like flyers blowing all over their lawns and streets.

Steve
04-20-2009, 12:17 AM
Pass out the flyers not on the paper boxes but go to the front door and place them. Sometimes you will meet the homeowner that way and you can talk to them about your services.

Should a lawn care business owner simply put it in the door or should they knock?

Also, I think this is a sticking point too, what should you do or say if someone does indeed answer the door? How do you keep them from saying no thank you and slamming the door shut?

turfmaster
04-20-2009, 12:43 AM
I don't knock. I just place flyer in door. If they are in their front yard I will approach them and talk to them. The only downfall with going door to door is it's time consuming. If they were to slam the door in your face they probably
don't want your services anyway.

swstout
04-20-2009, 12:44 AM
Should a lawn care business owner simply put it in the door or should they knock?

Also, I think this is a sticking point too, what should you do or say if someone does indeed answer the door? How do you keep them from saying no thank you and slamming the door shut?

When I canvas a neighborhood, I knock. If no answer I put a advertising nagnet on the door. Most doors now are metal or at least the doorknow is. Vista pring has Company magnets that they will print your info on 50 for $9.99. Flyers they just throw away; magnets they will probably put on their frig.

If they don't want to talk to me, I give them a magnet anyway!

Steve