PDA

View Full Version : new guy

skeltor
04-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Hi, I'm Charles I live in Tulsa, OK. This is not the first time mowing. I just got off the road and needed a supplement income. I found this web forum by mistake but really like what I have seen so far. I was on here for 3hrs last night. I am hoping to make this a more permanent solution for extra income next year, I'm just trying to get my feet wet this year. Thank you

Steve
04-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Hi Charles,

Welcome to our forum!

What kinds of things are you doing to promote your lawn care business?

skeltor
04-19-2009, 08:07 PM
A lot of my advertisement is door hangers, and word of mouth. I'm trying to land a contract with a Realtor.

Steve
04-19-2009, 09:10 PM
That is fantastic!

How are you going about meeting up with these realtors?

DaSchnozz
04-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Hi, My name is Dan. I live in Michigan. I am currently taking over my step fathers Lawn Care business and I heard about this site and decided to check it out. I love Lawn Care and I am all about learning tips from the pros out there! :)

Steve
04-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi Dan,

Welcome to our forum!

You got a great advantage there. You have a step father who has been in the business for a while.

What made him decide to pass it on to you and what do you think about carrying on the torch like this?

DaSchnozz
04-19-2009, 09:28 PM
well he would rather do a tree farm. I just love being out side and working with the very cool equipment. When i started 5 years ago I had NO idea what i was doing, but after 5 years of this work, I have helped pick up large jobs and help give a good reputation for his business.

Steve
04-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Oh that is great! There still will be a lot of potential synergy between the two of you then. Have you thought about having a green house on the property to grow any of the plants you would need through out the year?

DaSchnozz
04-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Actually yes, that has been a thought, but no definite decisions have been made yet. I am excited to finish our spring clean ups and get to actually cutting! :D There is a lot of work to be done this year and the warm weather is always more pleasant to work in...in my opinion.

Steve
04-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Dan,

Did your step-father give you any business or marketing advice that really stood out and has helped you so far?

skeltor
04-20-2009, 05:53 PM
It's going, not what I wanted to hear but it's news. I need to be more aggressive in my advertising. I might be taking over some accounts from a friends dad.

Steve
04-20-2009, 06:17 PM
I might be taking over some accounts from a friends dad.

That would be fantastic. Is he giving them to you or selling them to you? Or what?

skeltor
04-20-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm taking some of them over. Maybe 8 or 10. There not big money lawns but they will do.

Steve
04-20-2009, 10:06 PM
That is great. When you are there, you can then market to the neighbors and pick up more customers. There is one flyer in our free flyer section that says 'Sorry about the noise.' It's a perfect flyer to use in such a situation.

Also don't forget to use the clover leaf marketing technique (http://lawnchat.com/?p=156).

I bet that could help out quite a bit.

DaSchnozz
04-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Well we are a smaller business, So we are more personal with each of our customers. I honestly don't feel the need to market our business. It's a small farming community and every one knows everyone, so 90% of our jobs come from hear say. I plan on going to school to take some business courses and learn that so if I would like to really expand later on, it would be possible.:cool:

Steve
04-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Well at least you are aware of all these options. Keep us posted on how everything goes.

skeltor
04-23-2009, 06:20 PM
I forgot to mention that I was a small engine mechanic. I made the switch because of the flexibility of a mowing schedule.

Steve
04-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Oh thats fantastic! do you still offer those services? That could be a great way to meet new members of your community and sell them on your other services. I have some free flyers on that in the template section.