PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Game: Surviving the Recession

c4trash
04-19-2009, 07:21 AM
Just had time to get back to the forum have been real busy over the last couple of months
I have been re doing my Business Plan and came across this document

Report on research into the tactics and strategies used by firms to survive and prosper during recessionary periods
It includes tips from WalMart,Coca Cola and others and after reading it decided to change my business to incorporate some of the ideas
it can be found at
http://www.nzte.govt.nz/press-room/NZTE-Press-Releases/Pages/Research-shows-focused-confident-businesses-survive-recessions.aspx
Its a PDF file so you will need Acrobat
The main tip I learn t was you cant be all things to all people and by shedding no core activities you can concentrate on the ones that give you the most buck for the least effort

Steve
04-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Oh absolutely.

This reminds me of a conversation I was having with a business owner recently and they made a lot of money on this one specific service they sold and then they were asking me how to market their other not so profitable services.

I asked them why are you doing that? Why not focus on what is the easiest for you to do and what makes you the most profit? Become an expert in that skill set and you will do very well.

The main tip I learn t was you cant be all things to all people and by shedding no core activities you can concentrate on the ones that give you the most buck for the least effort

What kinds of services were you considering dropping to focus on others?

c4trash
04-20-2009, 01:47 AM
Am getting out of the domestic lawn business for private clients unless they are in the upper earning thresh hold and pay cash on completion or by Automatic payment
I will still do the lawn for the tenants of my real estate agents and other corporate customers because they guarantee payment
I also used to hire 44 gal drums to my domestic customers or on a single basis thats going out the door
I was always being asked to do various little jobs for people now unless they meet my hourly rate plus dump fees then don't agree to it
I am switching focus to my Property Managers Real Estate Companies and their tenants
I charge a good premium rate because 9 times out of 10 the job needed to be done yesterday
I also cant be bothered spending 8 hrs mowing lawns when I can do 1-2 hrs work for the same money
There are too many out there including every person with a car and trailer offering to do lawns at a lower price
My favourite saying when they say Im too expensive is "Thats Ok find some one else" I dont even get out of my vehicle for less than $XX's