PDA

View Full Version : Walt Disney

Steve
04-17-2009, 08:32 PM
I am reading a book that references a quote from Walt Disney.

The quote is "I don't make pictures to just make money. I make money to make more pictures."

What do you think of that quote?

Is that something we should all strive for?

Should we strive to do what we do not just to make money but to be able to do more of what we do?

musician/lawnman
04-17-2009, 09:00 PM
I would say, No matter how you try to pull that off.... In our industry, If you said to a customer "I don;t mow lawns just to make money, I make money so I can mow more lawns...." They just aren't going to buy that. Let's face it, alot of us like yard work & maybe even really enjoyed it when it was just our lawn at home. But there are few if any that just whole heartedly LOVE going out & mowing 15-20+ lawns a day, then dealing with maintenence, then paperwork, then bed..... repeat....
I do enjoy my work, but It's not like I'm a surgeon that I could say "I just love helping people!" or even as a musician I could maybe say "I do it for love of the music" Nobody can realistically say "I mow lawns for love of the grass" & sound believable.

swstout
04-17-2009, 09:05 PM
I am reading a book that references a quote from Walt Disney.

The quote is "I don't make pictures to just make money. I make money to make more pictures."

What do you think of that quote?

Is that something we should all strive for?

Should we strive to do what we do not just to make money but to be able to do more of what we do?

Good question!

My Grandmother, who died at age 101, was quite the philosopher - always saying exactly what was on her mind! At her 50th wedding anniversary, we were talking about - what ekse - money. She said "Moner isn't everything, but it's way of whatever is in second place".

Thinking back on her life (prompted by this post) she led an impoverished life. A dairy farmer who had 18 children. To say the least, money was tight, the work was hard, her life was hard. But, year after year they kept at it. Even after her husband died she kept the farm (chickens only at this point) when the property was in high demand. She didn't have to do it but she did, always wanting more for the farm.

I think, even though money is important (ahead of whatever is in 2nd place), it's the challenge that drives us.

After thought, while at the same anniversary, she was asked how she could possiably have 18 children by a local TV reporter. While on LIVE TV for the news, she said "Well, the G*D D**n Train went through at 4:15 every morning. It was too early to get up and too late to go back to sleep"!

Steve

(http://www.gopherforum.com/</font)

Steve
04-17-2009, 09:14 PM
I would say, No matter how you try to pull that off.... In our industry, If you said to a customer "I don;t mow lawns just to make money, I make money so I can mow more lawns...." They just aren't going to buy that. Let's face it, alot of us like yard work & maybe even really enjoyed it when it was just our lawn at home. But there are few if any that just whole heartedly LOVE going out & mowing 15-20+ lawns a day, then dealing with maintenence, then paperwork, then bed..... repeat....
I do enjoy my work, but It's not like I'm a surgeon that I could say "I just love helping people!" or even as a musician I could maybe say "I do it for love of the music" Nobody can realistically say "I mow lawns for love of the grass" & sound believable.
Do you think we should all strive to do that thing where we feel the way Walt felt or no?

Nobody can realistically say "I mow lawns for love of the grass" & sound believable.

Could someone say it about landscaping? Would that be possible?

What would you say would make it on your top 5 list of things that you could say this about?

She said "Moner isn't everything, but it's way of whatever is in second place".
I'm not sure but did you mean "Money isn't everything, but it's way ahead of whatever is in second place?"

That is a very fascinating view and that was a great story about what she said to the tv reporter LOL good for her!

swstout
04-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Do you think we should all strive to do that thing where we feel the way Walt felt or no?

I think it's human nature to do so!

Could someone say it about landscaping? Would that be possible?

What would you say would make it on your top 5 list of things that you could say this about?

Is it emotions or feelings? Feelings you can talk about, emotions rule your life. What you do or don't do is ruled by your emotions. Feelings are the talk, emotions are the walk!

Your drive is internal, you either have it or you don't.

I'm not sure but did you mean "Money isn't everything, but it's way ahead of whatever is in second place?"

Yes, money (first day with my new fingers)

That is a very fascinating view and that was a great story about what she said to the tv reporter LOL good for her!

It won't let me send because I answered above. Maybe this will let it go through.

musician/lawnman
04-17-2009, 11:47 PM
she was asked how she could possiably have 18 children by a local TV reporter. While on LIVE TV for the news, she said "Well, the G*D D-n Train went through at 4:15 every morning. It was too early to get up and too late to go back to sleep"!

That is funny as hell.

Steve,
I'm not saying everyone should drop all else & chase dreams throwing reason & responsibility out the window, so no I'm not advising anyone to change careers. I just mean the comment would be likely to come off canned & fake that's all.

Steve
04-18-2009, 12:08 AM
I just mean the comment would be likely to come off canned & fake that's all.

I can understand that.

I just wonder if we all have things we would love to do like that. Or maybe we don't. Maybe we don't aspire for that or even dream for that to happen. In what ever choice we make.

swstout
04-18-2009, 12:13 AM
That is funny as hell.

Steve,
I'm not saying everyone should drop all else & chase dreams throwing reason & responsibility out the window, so no I'm not advising anyone to change careers. I just mean the comment would be likely to come off canned & fake that's all.

Oh I agree whole heartedly. Not only would it come off canned and fake, it makes it look like you are trying to convince yourself.

It's man's nature to advance, to improve. If you love your intensions more than your job, you're on the right track with your profession!

Steve