PDA

View Full Version : One time mowing payed off

swstout
04-16-2009, 12:15 PM
I offer 1 time mowing on my site. I target vacationers stating I will take care of their lawn while they're on vacation. Last week on a slow day I did one such job. It was about 11:00 and I was done for the day so I did a little extra. I trimmer some of his trees that had branches hanging so low that you couldn't walk unter them. I spent maybe 45minutes.

Today I received a call from the customer wanting me to do his lawn every week, and wants the 4 stage fertilization program and to aerate his lawn.

A little extra on my part turned a one time mow into a season contract.

At first I wasn't going to be bothered by one time mowing jobs. I'm glad I decided to run with it (even though I did it just to get some jobs being I an a new business and feared not having enough work).

The one time mowing job for $40 grew into a contract that will make $2,880.00 (so far - I still might be able to upsell).

Steve

Steve
04-16-2009, 02:14 PM
That is great!

I was thinking, would a lawn care business owner need to be in an area of rental homes for this to work or not?

Also, how should they charge for one time mows? More than regular or just go with their regular price?

Should this be something that is promoted with flyers and ads on craigslist?

swstout
04-16-2009, 02:33 PM
That is great!

I was thinking, would a lawn care business owner need to be in an area of rental homes for this to work or not?

Also, how should they charge for one time mows? More than regular or just go with their regular price?

Should this be something that is promoted with flyers and ads on craigslist?

As for rental homes, I don't know. I think a home owner would be more apt to use the service. Renters, I feel wouldn't care.

I charge $8.00 per 1,000 sq ft. I get $18.00/month (4 mowings) per 1,000 sq ft regular price. The job I did was for only the front lawn (5,000 sq ft. The contract was for the whole lawn (a little over 10,000 sq ft).
It has a lot of edging and trimming to do.

I don't use Craigs List (yet). I advertise on my website and in local paper under business services. A 3" x 4" block ad is $120.00 (pre-paid) for a 3 month contract. Comes out every Thursday. I can change the block ad weekly if I want as long as I do the ad. I do it on 8 1/2 x 11 paper that they scan and resize. I use the black and white format (it's available in color but I can't justify the cost). For ad change, the require the proof on Friday for the next weeks paper.

Steve

Steve
04-16-2009, 05:31 PM
This is really neat. I wonder which made the sale ultimately. Giving the customer the opportunity to hire you for a one time cut or that you did that extra work for them. Or maybe both!

Also, speaking of vacationers, you got me thinking if you could also offer a service where you stop by a vacationers house and check to see if everything is ok. Take their mail and news papers and bring them to the customer when they get back?

Even if they aren't a mowing customer, this could be a way of offering more services and funneling in new customers.

swstout
04-16-2009, 08:25 PM
This is really neat. I wonder which made the sale ultimately. Giving the customer the opportunity to hire you for a one time cut or that you did that extra work for them. Or maybe both!

Also, speaking of vacationers, you got me thinking if you could also offer a service where you stop by a vacationers house and check to see if everything is ok. Take their mail and news papers and bring them to the customer when they get back?

Even if they aren't a mowing customer, this could be a way of offering more services and funneling in new customers.

Checks, ssecurity, etc. could become a whole new industry but I feel the time devoted to such services would not be ecconomical. I don't think the income could compare with my regular services.

Steve

Steve
04-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Just for the sake of discussion, how much would you think a lawn care business would have to charge for such a service to make it worthwhile?

swstout
04-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Just for the sake of discussion, how much would you think a lawn care business would have to charge for such a service to make it worthwhile?

For my lawn care enterprise I strive for at least $45/hr gross. I don't think customers would go for a $10/hr charge. I don't see any way I could get any business charging what I would need to equal the profit form the services I supply now! Why take time away from my bread and butter?

Steve