PDA

View Full Version : Hello To All

propro2440
04-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Hello everyone I have recently acquired a small lawn business from my parents. This business has been in the family for 27 years. My grandfather started it and grew it to 230 accounts then he sold off all except 10 accounts before he passed away, and my parents have had it for the past 8 years letting me and my brother mow while we where in college, and now its all mine
(all 10 accounts) lol. I also have a full time job that I work about 50-55 hours a week, however I am looking to grow my lawn business back to where it once was. I am located in the Panhandle of Texas , Amarillo the home of the 72oz steak. lol.. I hoping that I can get advice here from all of you

Thanks

Steve
04-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Oh what a fantastic story! Welcome to our forum!

Have you talked much with your grandfather in the past about how he was able to build it? Or have you talked to your parents?

What advice did they give you on this?

230 accounts is quite a few, I am guessing he had a number of employees and crews.

propro2440
04-15-2009, 01:01 AM
You know I really neer talked to him much about the business when he was around,, I was in high school and the thought of being out in the hot dry sun really didnt favor me then so we never talked. and yes he had 3 crews totaling 9-13 employees in a season, my parents tell me since he was a cop fpr 40years he had a ton of networking going on. and early on he walked the streets and knocked on doors after doors after doors... I know it will be a slow process to build it up again, but through quality service, and a little bet of sales knowledge I can make it happen, just need some of you guys tips, tricks, etc.. of the trade

Steve
04-15-2009, 01:16 AM
Isn't that neat? Here your grandfather applied the basic principles of going out and meeting people and from that he got many customers!

A lot of times, most new business owners just give up too soon because they don't get the results that they are looking for quickly. The flip side of knowing this is, you know how to succeed. Simply keep at it.

Did you get a chance to ask your parents how they took the torch your grandfather passed them and continued on with it? Did they network with a lot of people in your area? Did they do any other forms of marketing?