PDA

View Full Version : Blog posting

wdcutter
04-12-2009, 01:49 PM
What to write about? keep it content orientated with your site and area for sure.
The ideas for articles will become easier to do the more you do them (around 250+ words each) using your keywords.
The one thing I started today was a post on a spring clean up that I recently finished, that ended up being turned into a special project section on my site promoting my organic lawn care program, thanks to a customer, which will give me plenty to write about.
I am new to blogging also and it is taking some getting used to, but unlike our home decor site, which we can add new products to keep it fresh and active, our lawn care site will need to have something to do the same and I think the blog will serve this purpose.

Steve
04-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Oh that is fantastic!

How often do you try to write in your blog?

What do you find is your biggest inspiration for the article topics?

wdcutter
04-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Steve,
I try to write 2-3 posts or articles a week, but sometimes time doesn't permit, but am always jotting something on paper, so I'll have some typing for a rainy day.. I started out as Craig mentioned about google alerts, I still get them and check them out, but the ideas started flowing on their own as I would be out doing something, so I'll write sort of about my adventures in the lawn care business.

Steve
04-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Do you track where your new callers hear of you initially?

Have you noticed an uptick in calls that initially came from customers viewing your website?

Do you have any idea what % of them come from your website?

wdcutter
04-12-2009, 05:48 PM
I do track this, for the most part my traffic is from craigslist and word of mouth, the site is new and I haven't gotten any calls from there yet. It is still in its infancy stage. I installed a stat counter on the site to monitor visitors and such.

Steve
04-12-2009, 07:12 PM
That is great!

For the newer lawn care business owner just getting started. Do you have any advice as to how to keep track of this information? Also how do you utilize this information once you track it?

wdcutter
04-12-2009, 08:38 PM
I would say whether they use a simple word page or a notebook, listing and marking down as they get calls, I use the info to decide what, when and where I want to advertise my companies and where I want to work, it also tells me geographically where my customers are and what services are being requested.

Do I want to add this service?
Yeah its a little drive, but am I willing to go that far?

For me I did some of the driving a little further to get the jobs, but in the end it seemed worth it as these where city areas that where full of fly by nighters looking to make quick buck. We ended up doing really well with landscape maintenance and fall clean ups as the knocked on doors for quick mow-n-go's, not willing to do the maintenance jobs.

For a web-site I would recommend getting a stat counter (http://www.statcounter.com/) for there site, they can monitor just about anything from:
1. how many hits the site gets a day and if they are return visitors or first timers
2. keywords used to get there, keyword analysis.
3. popular pages.
4. entry and exit pages and so much more.
They can use this tool to monitor the traffic on there site to give them some direction in which to drive there site

SprinklerRepair
04-13-2009, 05:32 PM
I have "stat counters" on all my sites.

They are called "cpanel/awstats"

Not only do I know 'who" (IP) from "where" (IP) I know what words they typed in to find me.

How is this helpful? Well, I can concentrate posts to drive more traffic to the words they found me with, BUT********- WAY MORE IMPORTANT!!!

I know what phrases they did NOT find me with.

That means its Google Adsense Tool Time!

Type in the words they DID NOT find you with (broad/no city) and you will gain rankings.

Lawdy, Lawdy brothers and sisters! I shout into the wilderness and none hear!

I open their eyes but they refuse to see!