PDA

View Full Version : Failure?!

Lukacs Property Maintenance
04-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Hey guys,

Was reading another book(because i'm still waiting for the grass to grow), I thought that this was something to start a bit of a discussion about.

The book is called, Ten Things I Wish I'd Known- Before I Went Out into the Real World.A few things from the book are:1pinpointing your passion,2Your behavior has consequences,3Be willing to fail(this is the one up for the discussion),4marriage is a hell of a lot of hard work,5don't expect anyone to support you financially,5Laughter.

The question about what im going to tell you is, do you agree with this or not?

Here we go.(this is from the book)

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but many of you will experience failure in the persuit of your passion. Many of you will fail to attain some of the goals or fulfill some of the dreams you have right now. It is incredibly important to understand that FAILING IS PART OF LEARNING. Fear of failure can paralize you. If you don't risk looking rediculous or inept or even stupid sometimes, you may stay secure, but you'll also stay the same. By avoiding failure, your avoiding life's richness. And what happens if you fail? It can be liberating. In fact, I've found most people who've achieved great sucess also have experienced some great defeat
I wish they told me that on graduation day.Instead everyone told me you can go ahead and do anything you wanted, be anyone i wanted to become, with no detours or u turns in my path. The hidden mesage was this: If you fail, shame on you. Well thats not true.

Maria Shriver (Arnold Swarchnegger's wife)

Do you guy agree with Maria or do you think differently?

Mike:rolleyes:

swstout
04-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Hey guys,

Was reading another book(because i'm still waiting for the grass to grow), I thought that this was something to start a bit of a discussion about.

The book is called, Ten Things I Wish I'd Known- Before I Went Out into the Real World.A few things from the book are:1pinpointing your passion,2Your behavior has consequences,3Be willing to fail(this is the one up for the discussion),4marriage is a hell of a lot of hard work,5don't expect anyone to support you financially,5Laughter.

The question about what im going to tell you is, do you agree with this or not?

Here we go.(this is from the book)

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but many of you will experience failure in the persuit of your passion. Many of you will fail to attain some of the goals or fulfill some of the dreams you have right now. It is incredibly important to understand that FAILING IS PART OF LEARNING. Fear of failure can paralize you. If you don't risk looking rediculous or inept or even stupid sometimes, you may stay secure, but you'll also stay the same. By avoiding failure, your avoiding life's richness. And what happens if you fail? It can be liberating. In fact, I've found most people who've achieved great sucess also have experienced some great defeat
I wish they told me that on graduation day.Instead everyone told me you can go ahead and do anything you wanted, be anyone i wanted to become, with no detours or u turns in my path. The hidden mesage was this: If you fail, shame on you. Well thats not true.

Maria Shriver (Arnold Swarchnegger's wife)

Do you guy agree with Maria or do you think differently?

Mike:rolleyes:

You learn more from your failures and mistakes than from your successes. The key is to not keep making the same mistakes! Doing the same thing over and over and expecting the results to change is a sign of mental illness. Always striving to improve eliminates this behavior. Constant improvement dictates constant change. Just make the change for the better!

Steve

justin_time
04-08-2009, 07:15 PM
You learn more from your failures and mistakes than from your successes. The key is to not keep making the same mistakes! Doing the same thing over and over and expecting the results to change is a sign of mental illness. Always striving to improve eliminates this behavior. Constant improvement dictates constant change. Just make the change for the better!

Steve

Well said Steve

Steve
04-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Mike,

As you reflect on that, where do you feel your passion lies? And how would you rate your passion as far as how passionate are you about it?

04-10-2009, 02:43 PM
HMMM I think my passion comes from knowing that I can help people create happy, comfortable, suroundings in which they can carry on in there normal lives. With one less thing to reminice about doing themselves.

There was a lady that phoned me one day and asked me to take care of her lawn because she no longer had a husband to do it. I showed up mowed the lawn and made the yard look better then it was before. Mowing, edging, pruning up low branches ect. Afterwards the lady was so greatful and happy that she gave me what she thought was a wounderful gift in return. You know what she handed me a bag of six warm freshly baked sourddough buns. This was something that would sit with me for a couple of days because of what she said to me. She said that she always had a sourdough bun waiting for when her husband (when he was alive) finished cutting the grass.

It was a small jesture with lots of history behind it. The gift of only some sourdough buns.

A good percentage of my elderly customers are widowed and they all have a memorys of which to share. I always take time to stop and listen to stories or just to ask how they are doing. This is a part of my "JOB" that I enjoy because nomater what old storie they tell you(usually about there husband) you can take the experience with you.

I strongly recomend everyone to spend some time with the older croud in this world. You know people like your grandpas age or your grandmas age. The views and what they have had to live through will help in life and make you apreciate the small things in life. Like they did.

Mike

Steve
04-11-2009, 01:20 AM
Mike that is a great point you made. I think that really nails it on the head. Being able to feel like you made the world a little better each day you took part. That is a fantastic feeling and such a positive attitude.

SuperiorPower
04-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Be willing to fail

I definitely do not believe this. Being willing to fail would mean you have already given up!!! This is completely unacceptable!! Absolutely unacceptable!! Sure, you have to understand that you may fail, but to expect to fail??? Not me!! I know my business is capable of failing, but I do not expect it to...... Am I misunderstanding this correctly? Or did I misunderstand what she was trying to say??

Steve
04-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Be willing to fail(this is the one up for the discussion)

It's a good topic to discuss.

All too often I think we all are afraid to try something because if we fail, everyone will say 'I told you so. That idea was stupid.'

I think it's like a social check and balance. It's societies way of keeping everyone where they are and not experiment and not explore.

We tend to give anyone who tries anything a lot of hell. Look in the papers. A movie comes out and who writes about it? A critique. How often do you see a negative review vs. a positive one?

One of my friends once said people want to see you get by, but not by them, so ultimately they do things to try and keep you in your place.

That is why I feel you should be willing to fail. It's alright to fail. Try something and see what you think of the results. Do you want to push forwards or no? But don't be afraid to fail as long as you learn something from it and it can help you move forwards.

swstout
04-12-2009, 01:10 AM
It's a good topic to discuss.

All too often I think we all are afraid to try something because if we fail, everyone will say 'I told you so. That idea was stupid.'

I think it's like a social check and balance. It's societies way of keeping everyone where they are and not experiment and not explore.

We tend to give anyone who tries anything a lot of hell. Look in the papers. A movie comes out and who writes about it? A critique. How often do you see a negative review vs. a positive one?

One of my friends once said people want to see you get by, but not by them, so ultimately they do things to try and keep you in your place.

That is why I feel you should be willing to fail. It's alright to fail. Try something and see what you think of the results. Do you want to push forwards or no? But don't be afraid to fail as long as you learn something from it and it can help you move forwards.

The first rule of brainstorming is that no idea is to small , to big, or stupid. Your idea probably will spur someone to think differently and make progress or even a breakthrough. Seeing something differently, or seeing something new and strange can lead to breakthroughs. The TV series StarTrek spured the invention of the compact disk replacing the floppy! Something so simple, it was overlooked.

Wilm's tumor, a cancer of children developed in the womb was a death sentence 30 years ago. Doctors, trying to cure it lead to radiation treatment and chemo therapy which both have saved countless lives. Both radiation treatment and chemo therapy wer considered idiotic at the time. The cure rate for Wilm's tumor is now 90% and the techniques have been used in all other cancer treatment. Now, my youngest granddaughter was born with a genetic disorder of the 17th chromosome (Glazmann's Thrombosemia). Because of stem cell research Dostors are now takeing bone marrow of the patients, genetically re-engineered it and re-infused into the patient with a 70% cure rate.

These results would not have happened if someone hadn't tried something new. Danm the torpedos and full steam ahead! Take chances and hope they work out. If they don't, it may inspire someone who will succeed.

If you keep doing the same thing in the same way, there will never be any improvement or brerakthroughs. If you have an idea - whether smal or grandious - run with it. The worst that can happen is that you will know what doesn't work. It's not a failure, it's a learning experiance. Giving up is failure! Go for it; change the world.

Steve

swstout
04-12-2009, 01:33 AM
My wife was reading my post as I submitted it. She said, "How about Thomas Edison and the light bulb"? Another great example. Edison while developing the light bulb failed 379 times before succedding. He said, "I had 379 learning experiences"! He failed 379 times but never gave up!

Why should you?

Steve

Steve
04-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Steve, those are very good points.

Do you find many people just seem to give up to easily after their first or second attempt? What do you feel is the reason most people simply give up on an idea or a project?

swstout
04-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Steve, those are very good points.

Do you find many people just seem to give up to easily after their first or second attempt? What do you feel is the reason most people simply give up on an idea or a project?

I think expectations are a big reason. When I was in a New York High School Minimum passing grade was 75 in core subjects (math, science, language, history). Now, passing there is 55 and the lowest grade a teacher can give is 50. Back then if you were failing any core subject, you were barred from school activities like clubs and sports. Not any more! Students are NOT expected to perform.

Our society is becomming more entitlement oriented almost weekly. We'll give you free healthcare, free housing, food stamps, etc.. etc., etc. We'll even find a job for you! Why would anyone want a job if everything is handed to them? they expect to have everything handed to them!

I had to come up with 25% down on my first house (35 years ago) and show where the money came from. Look at the condition of the housing market now after the NINJA loans! NINJA - No Income, No Job or Assets. Another expected gift from society.

My father imigrated here from Scotland, my mother from Ireland. Now, I'm a colorblind mixed race senior citizen. There probably is a program to help me! Should I expect one?

Compitition should be for carrers, not for entitlements. It's almost like failure is more ecconomically sound now. You are credited for tryiny but not praised. Your half credited for succeding but shuned because it's believed you somehow cheated or succeded by taking from others.

Now people don't have to excell or even attempt to.

Schools are supposed to prepare kids for life. Not to spoon feed facts, but to teach how to learn. This hasn't been done in this country for a long time (at least 2 generations). Our schools teach facts (politically correct facts anyway), they don't teach how to learn. They teach how to give up.

My opinion anyway!!

Steve

SuperiorPower
04-12-2009, 10:26 PM
I think expectations are a big reason. When I was in a New York High School Minimum passing grade was 75 in core subjects (math, science, language, history). Now, passing there is 55 and the lowest grade a teacher can give is 50. Back then if you were failing any core subject, you were barred from school activities like clubs and sports. Not any more! Students are NOT expected to perform.

Our society is becomming more entitlement oriented almost weekly. We'll give you free healthcare, free housing, food stamps, etc.. etc., etc. We'll even find a job for you! Why would anyone want a job if everything is handed to them? they expect to have everything handed to them!

I had to come up with 25% down on my first house (35 years ago) and show where the money came from. Look at the condition of the housing market now after the NINJA loans! NINJA - No Income, No Job or Assets. Another expected gift from society.

My father imigrated here from Scotland, my mother from Ireland. Now, I'm a colorblind mixed race senior citizen. There probably is a program to help me! Should I expect one?

Compitition should be for carrers, not for entitlements. It's almost like failure is more ecconomically sound now. You are credited for tryiny but not praised. Your half credited for succeding but shuned because it's believed you somehow cheated or succeded by taking from others.

Now people don't have to excell or even attempt to.

Schools are supposed to prepare kids for life. Not to spoon feed facts, but to teach how to learn. This hasn't been done in this country for a long time (at least 2 generations). Our schools teach facts (politically correct facts anyway), they don't teach how to learn. They teach how to give up.

My opinion anyway!!

Steve

well stated. better than I could have....

swstout
04-13-2009, 02:44 AM
well stated. better than I could have....

I was very tired when I wrote this. I had my newest love here to take care of. She is 7 weeks oldand a handful. I played babysitter while my wife took our daughter-in-law away from motherly duties for the day. We had our Easter dinner at noon. I haven't had the pleasure of taking care of a baby for 23 years. I forgot how intnse it could be!

Looking over the post, I see I need to go back to grade school for spelling!

Looking over the post I realized My life was very difficult on my kids. Constantly moving and long absences from my family. My wife stood by me for 22 years in the Navy, a year and a half of physical therapy, and raising the kids mostly by herself. But I must say, I am very proud of how they all turned out. Stable, self confident, committed to their families and their country.

I can't understand the attitudes of most kids now. I was raised to protect and be faithful to my family. Now 'hooking up' seems to be the norm. I have been married 38 years now. Today the average marrage lasts 4 years. My grandmother, just before she died, said "It should cost as much to get a marage license as it costs to get a divorce".

My last post tended to be anti for awhole generation. That was wrong! The actions of a few tends to tarnish the whole.

My convictions still remain; the schools and the upbringing need to regress about 35 years.

Steve

04-16-2009, 12:11 PM
What are the things that makes all you guys out there passionate about your work?Steve how about you?I'm intrested because you do a great thing here and have also helped me through speed bumps in the lcb.

Mike

Steve
04-16-2009, 02:25 PM
There are a bunch of Steve's here but I will jump in.

I absolutely love learning. Business for whatever reason always seemed to be something that was hidden in a box. Something that was done behind the stage curtain. We could all look at a business on stage yet we would have no idea on how it operated.

Then being involved with other forums at one time, I absolutely hated how it was a flame fest. You ask a question and what do you get in response? Something to the effect of 'well if you don't know that, you shouldn't be in business.' Then I thought to myself, if I wanted that kinda of crappy answer, I would have gone ask my friends because they would have a similar ignorant retort. I don't know how much of that was to cover for not knowing the answer or they just didn't want to say.

But anyway, It's just so fantastic to learn and then have this living resource that grows and we can all look up different issues as we go. There is no reason in this day and age with the existence of the internet that business should be this black box. This unknown. We can all succeed if we continue to learn.

and have also helped me through speed bumps in the lcb.

I am happy to hear that! Can you tell me some of the issues that popped up and how you resolved them? I bet others on here have found they confronted similar situations as well.