PDA

View Full Version : How to get commercials?

CHEESE2009
04-07-2009, 06:28 PM
I just got home from handing out cards, I feel like It was a waste of time & ... cards.

I walked into a few strip malls/plazas & asked to speak to the owner, then I told the owner to have their land lord contact me.

It just doesn't feel right. Any suggestions on how to go about getting commercials?

Who to talk to, how to contact them, etc...

Once I figure this out I wouldn't mind just sticking with commercials, I figure with the recession people will be investing in lawn mowers & cutting their own grass, but not entirely true for commercials..?

Green_Day
04-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Hello my friend,
I work in internet advertising industry and come across companies that want a video shot and look professional. I have the company for you. They are very good and reasonably priced. Packages are Basic Ad for $850, Standard Ad $1275 and Premium HD AD is $2500. Let me know if you need more info. I can be reached at chrisaldridge68@yahoo.com

majoe7
04-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Breeze, Who do you contact for commercial accounts? We have property appraisers here and you can go on the counties web site and it will tell you who owns the building or property. Then research how you can contact them.* Iím not to sure what you call it up there.
Try Mom and Pops single free standing building with some grass to cut, trees to prune and maybe mulching along with flowers. They are smaller to do but easy and manageable.
I also target working professionals (young and busy schedules) along with middle aged folks who donít want to spend their time taking care of there lawns, they have better things to do. Look geographically at high income earners with disposable income.
With the recent snow fall you all had, I think the clients donít have lawn care on there minds just yet. IMO Stay after it, and donít give up. Better yet, you can move down here to Florida and have your pick of the litter with what you want to do in the lawn care business. Steady work year round with great weather.;)

swstout
04-07-2009, 10:39 PM
I just got home from handing out cards, I feel like It was a waste of time & ... cards.

I walked into a few strip malls/plazas & asked to speak to the owner, then I told the owner to have their land lord contact me.

It just doesn't feel right. Any suggestions on how to go about getting commercials?

Who to talk to, how to contact them, etc...

Once I figure this out I wouldn't mind just sticking with commercials, I figure with the recession people will be investing in lawn mowers & cutting their own grass, but not entirely true for commercials..?

I couldn't even get a responce when I talked to commercial accounts until I started carrying My certificate of insurance with me. Now I at least to give a presentation. Have only one commercial account so far. A small Medical Professional complex. Mowing, weeding and prunning a small lawn (about 12' deep around the building weekly - about 3,000 sq ft).

It's a start. Now I can tell others about that account.

There are a lot of such complexes around. Why don't you try them?

Steve

Steve
04-08-2009, 01:35 AM
A lot of great advice here already. I'd say get to know people that own businesses. When you go out to eat or order a pizza, get to know the owner. The more people you know the easier it will be to make sales.

I think starting small is a great way to go then scale up.

Does any of the advice given to you so far help? Are you going to be doing anything differently?

CHEESE2009
04-08-2009, 08:37 AM
A lot of great advice here already. I'd say get to know people that own businesses. When you go out to eat or order a pizza, get to know the owner. The more people you know the easier it will be to make sales.

I think starting small is a great way to go then scale up.

Does any of the advice given to you so far help? Are you going to be doing anything differently?

Well it's unfortunate that we now have snow coming down, so I guess the next sunny day I'll visit each apartment & old folks homes to advertise. You can just walk in and buzz for the owner most of the time.

Right now I'm just getting emails from craigslist potential customers who are honestly just frustrating me. It clearly states what my service offers but I get emails saying, "I need someone to clean my house, fix my cabinets & paint a few walls" like commmmonnn geez... I also got a call from a guy in a city not close to me at all, my service states that I only do work in A-B-C not D!

Not sure what to do at this point, a few call backs would be nice after handing out several thousand flyers. I'm a little impatient, I wish I would get calls BEFORE May... hmmm

My biggest problem is registering. My price isn't really profitable, at a starting price for residentials I charge $420.00. Once I'm taxed, I don't know if I like that. I want at least one unregistered season to save up some cash, then become registered with a bit of backup cash next time.

Steve
04-08-2009, 11:39 AM
My biggest problem is registering. My price isn't really profitable, at a starting price for residentials I charge $420.00. Once I'm taxed, I don't know if I like that. I want at least one unregistered season to save up some cash, then become registered with a bit of backup cash next time.

Can you tell us a little about the costs in Canada to register a business?

CHEESE2009
04-08-2009, 02:32 PM
So i just got home from trying to get some commercials...

I passed through tons of buildings

1. $550
2. $1860
3. $700
4. $1555
5. $1820
etc

Then I received a call back from the owner of a sports complex (indoor hockey arenas)

My estimation price was $15642.00 at 145255 feet of lawn
When I agreed to a meeting, I discontinued advertising to other buildings and immediately went to the sports complex. The first thing this douchebag tells me is, "just to be fair, a contract is already signed for this year" I left my card & stormed back home...

If I was to get this customer, I would be able to stop advertising lol.. In a way I'm thankful I didn't. It's full of slopes and isn't really something I'd like to work on for a full day. It's hard not to be discouraged though. It's hard asking for such a high price, even monthly it'd be $2607.00....:confused:

Green_Day
04-08-2009, 09:41 PM
So i just got home from trying to get some commercials...

I passed through tons of buildings

1. $550
2. $1860
3. $700
4. $1555
5. $1820
etc

Then I received a call back from the owner of a sports complex (indoor hockey arenas)

My estimation price was $15642.00 at 145255 feet of lawn
When I agreed to a meeting, I discontinued advertising to other buildings and immediately went to the sports complex. The first thing this douchebag tells me is, "just to be fair, a contract is already signed for this year" I left my card & stormed back home...

If I was to get this customer, I would be able to stop advertising lol.. In a way I'm thankful I didn't. It's full of slopes and isn't really something I'd like to work on for a full day. It's hard not to be discouraged though. It's hard asking for such a high price, even monthly it'd be $2607.00....:confused:

I have an awesome company that I work with with LocalAdlink that has very reasonable prices. Quality and professional. They have a website with examples of their work. Their Basic package is $850 30 second Hi Res and $1275 for a 1 minute Hi Res with a 15 sondensed version. Only half up front and the other half when job is completed. Total time is about 2 weeks. Then couple that with a 10 zip code package from LocalAdLink for $100 amonth. You are looking at serious exposure on the nte. You know that Google's search engines are turning more to video now than any other content.

Steve
04-09-2009, 12:55 AM

Why do you think he called you in for a meeting to tell you that?

CHEESE2009
04-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Well he said there is a possibility for next year.

I told him an estimation, but I asked him where the property lines are to justify my asking price, I had each part of land outside measured & could easily deduct some if it was not owned. It's silly when the owner doesn't know what land he owns. The "owner" seemed to get a little upset that I didn't give him a 100% asking price, that ticked me off. I think it's only fair to ask when I've written him down for that many feet. You'd think he'd be interested, but I guess billionaires don't give a damn really. lol

Steve
04-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Well, I'd said don't let any of that get to you. Onward and upward.

What's next on your marketing plan?

CHEESE2009
04-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Well, I'd said don't let any of that get to you. Onward and upward.

What's next on your marketing plan?

Well I'm hoping to take over circle streets aka dead ends, I put labels on the back of a few cards stating; "Upon receipt of this card get $20.00 off Breeze Lawn Service" "Offer valid till May 1st 2009"

$400 for lawn service is insanely cheap i figure, but if I get a few houses in a few circle areas I'll be happy.

My next plan is to either lower my price (unlikely) or to make another batch of flyers & hand them out once again. Maybe not to the same houses, I could try a new area.... Damn...

I posted an ad on Craigslist, basically for landlords in my areas to contact me & we could possibly make a few deals.

I have an email from someone wanting me to call them, I did, & still no answer - it's the second day I've tried to contact this person.

I called a person who called me earlier today & her husband answered & said she'd contact me later. So hopefully someone is interested!

NEWS:

I cleaned the gutters of my own house, I learned a few things that might be useful.

1. Cutting a coke bottle to create a shovel like tool = SUCKS! It's too flimsy & wont be able to pick up heavy or wet debris.

2. I didn't have a blower, so I brought the hose up on the roof, I sprayed all the debris to where the gutter drains, & every foot or so I would use my hands to pick out the debris. I would then back track and rinse the gutter out for an awesome cleaning.

3. It is possible to bring a bag up with you to put the debris in, instead I through it onto the grass and raked it up after. It saves time if you just bag it, it is possible.

4. When the drain wont ... drain... I used a glove to clog the bottom, then flooded it until the debris shot back up. I was able to remove everything. Just make sure you unclog the drain when your finished.

5. The hose does make a mess, but it works really well. I was one person & wasn't able to bring the pressure washer up with me. I really want to try the backpack blower trick though!!!

6. Once your finished, call your friend to bring some beer over. Drink on the roof while listening to some tunes.

-

I also cut some branches down that were hanging over a few wires. Which I only noticed once I was on the roof.

WHICH MEANS, if your into gutter cleaning for customers, take a look at the trees to see if there are any branches hanging over wires. You might be able to convince them to let you cut them down for a small fee!!!!

Just bring your branch cutter!

Steve
04-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Are you going to be offering gutter cleaning now too?

CHEESE2009
04-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Are you going to be offering gutter cleaning now too?

FLYER
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/mad_insane/flyer001.jpg

CARD
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/mad_insane/card001.jpg

CHEESE2009
04-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Alright, so I'm gonna try out that church idea.

28720 feet ($3092.00 worth)

I'm going to post up a letter tonight (girlfriend is in a weird play or something)
with a handful of cards & my flyer on the wall.

I'll only do it for a minimum of 10 customers, the church is equal to 7 customers...

It sucks, but I need a jump start lol