PDA

View Full Version : New business questions

jeffwomack
04-07-2009, 07:16 PM
First off. Can I call my company Gotta Mow Lawn care? I stole the name from a form on the forum here.

I have a push with a bagger. My rider doesnt have a bagger. I have a craftsman. Does anyone have any expierence with the craftman rider bagging system. It has a soft or a hard plastic option. Which is best?

or should I get one of those pull behind lawn sweepers. Sticks, leaves and grass. Mabye both?

I need a good quality weed trimmer. My weed trimmer is a P.O.S. I need one that I dont have to adjust the line and remove the cap every 3 minutes. Keep in mind im on a budget.

What is the best method to get a business as a customer. example: my local Casey's general store has a small strip of grass out front. I know the employees there dont make a decision on spending money to mow. Do I send them a letter. drop them by a flier, or contact their headquarters.

I know if the business owner is in the store, I would make a personal stop in and sell my service, but when the owner is a corp. Im not sure how to proceed.

I am considering getting a livestock trailer to haul my equipment. Since I have cattle and goats it just makes sense...

Do I need to actually get insurance and a permit or liscense or can I just mow?

last.... point me to a thread that talks about mowing techniques. I saw some pictures and it seems that someone mows in different directions and makes the lawn look real good.

thanks for reading and if you have an answer to any of these it will help.

CHEESE2009
04-07-2009, 07:36 PM
First off. Can I call my company Gotta Mow Lawn care? I stole the name from a form on the forum here.

I have a push with a bagger. My rider doesnt have a bagger. I have a craftsman. Does anyone have any expierence with the craftman rider bagging system. It has a soft or a hard plastic option. Which is best?

or should I get one of those pull behind lawn sweepers. Sticks, leaves and grass. Mabye both?

I need a good quality weed trimmer. My weed trimmer is a P.O.S. I need one that I dont have to adjust the line and remove the cap every 3 minutes. Keep in mind im on a budget.

What is the best method to get a business as a customer. example: my local Casey's general store has a small strip of grass out front. I know the employees there dont make a decision on spending money to mow. Do I send them a letter. drop them by a flier, or contact their headquarters.

I know if the business owner is in the store, I would make a personal stop in and sell my service, but when the owner is a corp. Im not sure how to proceed.

I am considering getting a livestock trailer to haul my equipment. Since I have cattle and goats it just makes sense...

last.... point me to a thread that talks about mowing techniques. I saw some pictures and it seems that someone mows in different directions and makes the lawn look real good.

thanks for reading and if you have an answer to any of these it will help.

Well as for mowing technique, the height of your mower should be adjusted accordingly throughout the season. If your cutting low & the heat is on, chances are you might cause the grass to burn.

As for hills, the safest thing to do is either adjust your mower a bit higher, or use your whippersnipper. OH, and never go directly up a hill with the mower, try to go up on an angle: \ or / ... not |

The best way I figure would be to mow the perimiter of the lawn, this gives you room to turn your mower when your making your lines.

Once the perimeter is complete, make sure your cutting lengthwise with the lawn, this will save time & look great.

At the start of a new line, pull the mower back a bit so it starts where you cut your perimeter previously, this will make it look professional & not sloppy.

Steve
04-08-2009, 02:52 AM

Do you need insurance? You will need to show proof of insurance for most commercial work. For residential, they may not ask you for it but if something happens and you have any assets at all, they will be put at risk.

Do you need a license? I don't know, it depends on your area. They may require you to get a contractors license.

I would say go in there and find out who is in charge. Talk to a manager and then give them a quote to service their property. Talking to the person in charge is the best way to go.

Keep us posted on how everything is going for you.

jeffcs
04-08-2009, 08:47 AM
when you guys get yard debris, do you leave the bags there for their pickup or do you take it home for you trash pick up

jeff

CHEESE2009
04-08-2009, 09:19 AM
when you guys get yard debris, do you leave the bags there for their pickup or do you take it home for you trash pick up

jeff

Do a search for composting sites, call a few & ask if you can dump your grass there. Some might ask you to pay a fee, so keep on lookin!