PDA

View Full Version : C&K Landscaping

candklandscaping
04-07-2009, 12:27 PM
I joined this site two weeks ago and I haven't had time to post anything to the forum so I thought I better take the time to do so. I have been in business two years I started with a toro personal pace mower on a trailer that I bought from lowe's. I now use a craftsman 33' commercial mower but I still have the toro (runs like a champ). I am planning on upgrading my craftsman to an exmark at the end of the season. I am currently using a ryobi straight shaft trimmer and edger and a ryobi blower.

Steve
04-08-2009, 02:55 AM
Welcome to our site!

What got you to start your lawn care business?

candklandscaping
04-08-2009, 05:11 PM
I was sick of being a banker and sitting behind a desk all day.

Steve
04-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Oh that is fascinating! Have you been able to apply any of the skills you have learned being a banker to your lawn care business? Do you have any advice on money, or getting loans that most new lawn care business owners just wouldn't know about?

candklandscaping
04-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Managing money is tough for a lot of guys but I have found that if you take all your contracts add up what you will make for the season then take the total amount minus fifteen percent for marketing, twenty percent for maintenance and replacement, then either use quickbooks or some other book keeping software or talk to your accountant and calculate you taxes then you will know what your net income will be. I take my net income and divide it by twelve. I pay myself a base salary which makes it easier to qualify for personal loans such as houses and cars. The key for getting business loans is establishing business credit. I suggest people look at credit unions. Most of the time if you establish a relationship with a credit union they will give you your first business loan based on your personal credit but this loan will report on your business credit. Paying yourself a base salary is essential to qualify. The best advice I can give anyone is that when you are trying to establish business credit you CAN NOT show a loss of your business tax return.

Steve
04-09-2009, 12:47 PM
How important is it to have business credit? For many of the newer lawn care business owners, can you explain why that is important?

Is it better to pay cash for a piece of equipment like a mower, if you have the money? Or is it better to take out a loan on something like that?

candklandscaping
04-10-2009, 12:06 PM
It is better to take out a loan only if you have the cash to purchase the item. Take the money to purchase the item and put it in the bank then you can get a secured loan which will help you establish business credit. Credit is vital if you are planning on growing your business. At some point you will most likely need to make a big purchase but you need to be careful not to get in to deep.

Steve
04-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Oh thank you so much!

What is your view on purchasing versus leasing equipment? Any advice when you should do either?