PDA

View Full Version : Edger or Trimmer

lukus223
04-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Hello everyone!

In the past I have always used a trimmer held at a angle to edge. I was looking at an edger the other day and it seems like a nice idea. What does everyone use? A trimmer revved high with a thick line or an edger with a blade?

swstout
04-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Hello everyone!

In the past I have always used a trimmer held at a angle to edge. I was looking at an edger the other day and it seems like a nice idea. What does everyone use? A trimmer revved high with a thick line or an edger with a blade?

I think the edger does a better, more professional appearing job.

Steve

lukus223
04-03-2009, 11:17 PM
I think the edger does a better, more professional appearing job.

Steve

I was thinking that. Do you prefer to use one with wheels or the hand held shaft type?

lawn-guy
04-03-2009, 11:23 PM
i use a edger for the first couple of visits and then trimmer trimmer is just alot faster

maizenblue301
04-04-2009, 12:32 AM
I don't own a edger, I have always used a trimmer. It makes things go quicker it seems for me. I can edge everything and trim as I go. Where as with an edger you would have to start the machine, edge everything then go back to the truck, get the trimmer, start it and then trim everything. I figure, kill two birds with one stone. That is just my opinion though.

swstout
04-04-2009, 01:27 AM
I was thinking that. Do you prefer to use one with wheels or the hand held shaft type?

I have 2. One is electric that I have had for years that I bought for home use, and the other was part of a combo set that has a line trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer, blower, tiller, and saw that I bought at a lawn sale.
Both have wheels.

The edger does take longer but the customers seem to like the extra effort. The electric is a little easier to handle (I have an inverter, 1,000 watt on my truck that works well for small jobs even though I have to spend more time running the cord and re-stowing after. Also, my combo unit has a curved shaft; If I get another, it will be a straight shaft one.

Steve

musician/lawnman
04-04-2009, 07:05 AM
I don't own a edger, I have always used a trimmer. It makes things go quicker it seems for me. I can edge everything and trim as I go. Where as with an edger you would have to start the machine, edge everything then go back to the truck, get the trimmer, start it and then trim everything. I figure, kill two birds with one stone. That is just my opinion though.

Me too, I have a stick edger that hasn't been off the trailer in 6 months, Sometimes if I get a bad clean up I'll use it the 1st time but more than anything I do that just to run it so the carb doesn't get gummed up.
Edging with the trimmer is kind of an artform, once you get the technique down (provided you can walk & chew gum) it's fast & accurate, Plus it's already in your hand & running. One tool 2 jobs. I tell my employees, Once around the house trimming & edging, once with a blower... Done.
Your off to the next one. I don't see this policy as rushing a job at all. It's a matter of working efficiency & productivity. My father always called things like this "economy of motion". If you can do something while your already there, just get it done & move on.
As I built my business I worked alone. The 20-30 (or more+++) extra steps per property adds up intime & fatigue when you are doing 12-15 stops a day solo. Conserve energy & effort.
The theory of: Economy of Motion.

grasskeepers
04-04-2009, 08:37 PM
how often do you edge your lawns

i do it once a year to my weekly customers no charge just to keep my yards looking good

maizenblue301
04-04-2009, 08:56 PM
I edge most all of my yards weekly. Makes things look perfect always.

VPS Lawn Care
04-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Weekly with a line trimmer and once towards the end of the season and once at the start of the season with the edger.

majoe7
04-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Let me ask?

How do you all use a line trimmer on the driveways and sidewalks?

I have never seen a nice, beautiful and high grass wall along these edges when my competitor uses this practice.

Along theses areas, I always use an edger and my clients love the look and their neighbors ask me how can I get that look?

lukus223
04-05-2009, 06:05 PM
It's kinda hard to explain. With my left hand I grip the shaft lower than handle. I use my right to engage the throttle and switch my grip so my thumb is towards the motor. I use a very thick line and rev it high. I walk backwards and use a pulling motion towards me. This seems to really "dig". After the inital dig I walk forward using the same technique. Am I a total weirdo or do you other guys do that.

maizenblue301
04-05-2009, 07:59 PM
I do the same accept I hold the handle. I don't generally make two passes either. If you hold the trimmer straight and look at where the edge of the string is hitting you can cut it straight everytime

EasyPro
04-06-2009, 11:03 PM
wow i can tell you a trimmer WILL NOT give you the edge an edger will. We edge everything with an edger every 4 weeks the other 3 weeks we just keep it touched up with the trimmer!

turfbuilder
04-07-2009, 12:26 AM
I will edge 3 times during the season. Then maintain a nice clean look with the trimmer. :)