PDA

View Full Version : To Grow, or To Steal

Steve
04-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Here is a great article that will give you more insight into your marketing.

Grow or steal? That's one of the fundamental questions that marketers ask themselves when they look at how best to expand their businesses. Do I grow a market, and generate more sales and revenue through that strategy ** even though my share-of-market may remain the same or actually go down? Or do I focus my efforts on stealing share from my competitors? While there is no single answer, here are some different scenarios ** and questions to ask yourself ** that should help you arrive at the right strategy for your particular situation.

How mature is your market? If you're competing in a mature category ** one with a high level of penetration and with single-digit growth, then it doesn't make much sense for you to invest in expanding a category that has little runway ahead of it.

....if you're in a business with low penetration, you might be able to expand the category, but only if you understand the barriers to growth. As an example, let's take the lawn service business. Since under 50% of homeowners........

Read this article here (http://www.inc.com/resources/marketing/articles/20050701/growth.html).

tiedeman
04-22-2006, 08:55 PM
That is a great article.

Steve
04-22-2006, 09:57 PM
It's interesting how the author points out the importance of offering a budget plan to allow the customer to pay equal amounts each month through out the year.