PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Marketing Idea

SuperiorPower
03-31-2009, 11:33 PM
I recently inadvertently came into contact with a marketing director for a local outfit that owns several restaurants. He also owns several businesses of his own, one of which sells brats that are 100% made locally and only from 100% local products.

As a part of his marketing director duties he gives away free food. HE makes and hands out short sub sandwiches. In case you are wondering how he pays for it, here is the answer:

He hands out coupons for advertisers. From my understanding he hands out a hand full of coupons with each sub. He said you might end up paying up to $200-$300 for a years worth of coupons which he hands out.

My problems with this method for the Landscaping or Small engine businesses advertisement are this:

1, These subs are handed out in the downtown area. This area is where you have: a) lots of unemployed walking around throughout the day, b) a lot of students, c) a lot of people who are renting

2, As for me, I live about 15-20 miles from the area where they normally hand out the coupons. Thus I suspect that many of the customers live a considerable distance from my shop. If I were selling products I would jump all over this opportunity.

What are your thoughts in this?

Steve
04-01-2009, 01:30 PM
As a part of his marketing director duties he gives away free food. HE makes and hands out short sub sandwiches. In case you are wondering how he pays for it, here is the answer:

He hands out coupons for advertisers. From my understanding he hands out a hand full of coupons with each sub. He said you might end up paying up to $200-$300 for a years worth of coupons which he hands out.

What kinds of coupons does he hand out with the sandwiches?

Also, what are brats? :)

SuperiorPower
04-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Not sure what all coupons since I did not yet get to see that part. He told me to join him for a while sometime if I get a chance and he would explain it to me more.

Brats=bratwurst

Steve
04-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Well that sounds interesting! Let us now if you ever get the chance to work with him.

LawncareMarketingMagic
04-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Eli,

I'd say you hit the nail on the head. Even though the idea is good, he isn't really hitting your target market very well.

Instead, why not approach restaurants closer to your local area and have them hand out coupons to all their customers. Or set something similar up with the local car wash, or CPA, or accountant, or maid service, or pest control service, or....well, you get the idea.

Essentially it all boils down to the fact that it doesn't matter how great the idea is if you won't be hitting your target prospects with your message/offer. However, that doesn't mean you can't take the idea and modify it to work!