PDA

View Full Version : Stump Grinding

SuperiorPower
03-31-2009, 09:20 PM
Does any one here do stump grinding? The reason I ask is today during my daily wanderings I saw someone with an almost new truck, special trailer, and FANCY stump grinder. I got to thinking I do not recall ever seeing anyone here mention anything about stump grinding. Is there a reason? Or is there just no call for it? I am sure the machines are expensive with a low return when compared to other machines like mowers. Ever thought about doing it?

Just wondering,
Eli

Steve
03-31-2009, 09:27 PM
Eli,

A little while back there was a member on here that made big money offering stump grinding. I don't see it too often on here though, I guess because not everyone has the need for that service. Have you ever thought about renting them?

SuperiorPower
03-31-2009, 09:45 PM
No, not really. I have thought about renting out mowers to homeowners though but I think I would need to go full time and don't think I can afford to do that just yet. It would be too much of a gamble considering I could lose everything if I don't stay absolutely busy. And I mean absolutely busy. I would have to roll about $2000 profit per month to stay afloat. Needless to say, for a big business that is nothing but I am not that big.

picframer
04-01-2009, 06:19 AM
Eli, I have rented one that attaches to the three point hitch on the tractor and runs off the PTO, probably three times in the past number of years. They work very well and make quick work of a stump, they do however make a big mess. I looked into buying one, they are pretty expensive which is fine however it is rare that I get asked to grind a stump, 95%++ of the time the client wants it dug up and buried or hauled away. I try to avoid burying they as they create mushrooms on the customers lawn and can take 20++ years to decompose.

My number one concern was where to get it sharpened as they come into contact with the ground as you grind.

They have a benefit over digging as you do not disturb the ground as much.

Your post caught my attention as I was supposed to be 16 stumps for a client today however they are buried under snow after yesterday so it will be a next week project.

Steve
04-01-2009, 12:10 PM
I didnt think about that but I could see how sharpening the teeth could be an issue.

Steve
04-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Needless to say, for a big business that is nothing but I am not that big.

I don't know if you would be interested in this or not, but what if you put an ad in the paper or asked around if anyone was interested in getting into the rental business? Maybe you could find someone that could help you and you help them. They could get some equipment to rent and rent it from your location and run the rental side while you ran the other side. It could help you grow and give someone a chance to get into a business they might not be able to do on their own.