PDA

View Full Version : Troy how much would this cost?

Steve
04-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Troy, how much would this cost per potential client and would it be worth it?

Could you offer a free treatment on half of a front yard as an inducement to get a customer to sign up for future applications?

I know the idea is crazy but... what if?

Also, how long would it take for the customer to see a difference?

tiedeman
04-20-2006, 08:15 PM
It is a possible technique. I would say that most homeowners "front lawn" is the smaller section of their lawn compared to the back lawn. I wouldn't do it for free anything over 5,000 sq ft. But under 5,000 sq ft, it would probably cost me around $4 to $11, depending on what product I use.

Usually it would take approx 1 1/2 weeks to notice a huge difference. Now with broadleafs, you could see a difference in about 3 to 5 days perhaps.

Steve
04-20-2006, 09:07 PM
I wonder what would be the best way to promote this. Maybe small business cards or something that could be given to the customers to give to their friends or neighbors? With an expiration date.

Hmmm.

What if, you took it further and said I will fertilize one half of your front yard (up to a certain sq ft.) and if you don't see noticable results within 2 weeks, the next application is free. Otherwise if you do, I will continue my service and will bill you accordingly. Something like that.

It could be branded as the Tiedeman Lawn Challenge and you could take all these pictures of you on kneeling on these lawns to show the difference between the one side and the other. These pics could be put on your website too.

Later you could use these in your door hanger promotions.

Take the Tiedeman Lawn Challenge. "I guarentee I can make your lawn greener and lusher in two weeks or the next application is free!"
That's my promise to you.

It might be a heck of a way to get people to try you out. You know the application will work and they won't want their lawn to only look half good, so they will need your continued service!

tiedeman
04-20-2006, 09:35 PM
I have thought about it.

The funny thing that I have noticed lately, is that so far, the last month, 85% of my new application customers are from word of mouth or referrals. 10% are just current customers, 5% is only from advertising

Steve
04-21-2006, 02:01 AM
And as you advertise and market your company, you become more and more known. That helps the word of mouth advertising. Someone will say to a neighbor, I have Tiedeman take care of my lawn and then the other neighbor will say, 'you know I have heard of him.'

That's why continually getting your name out there helps.

tiedeman
04-21-2006, 03:33 PM
I do agree. When doing the advertising, it does put your face out there for people know you more. For example, people call me all the time just for advice, which I am more than happy to give them

Steve
04-21-2006, 06:04 PM
Quote[/b] ]For example, people call me all the time just for advice, which I am more than happy to give them
WOW! Do you mean lawn or business?

tiedeman
04-21-2006, 06:59 PM
For their lawn.

I have lots of DIY people that call me for advice. *I don't mind offering it at all for free.

Steve
04-21-2006, 07:12 PM
I was just thinking, this is where having a forum on your site could really be helpful. Do these people find you because of your article in the paper, "ask the experts?" Or do they find you in other ways?

tiedeman
04-21-2006, 07:23 PM
A little of everything is how they find me I think

I would love to do a Q & A thing on the my website with a forum, but I am worried about two things:
1. I won't have time to monitor it
2. It will get abused

Steve
04-21-2006, 07:47 PM
That is always possible.

I wonder if we could make something that would be helpful for this.

hmmmmmm

It makes me wonder.

Steve
04-21-2006, 07:55 PM
What kind of questions do you find these customers tend to ask about? What are the big issues?

tiedeman
04-21-2006, 08:43 PM
They ask simple questions: Such as what to apply to their lawn now, how to take care of moles, what can I do to my lawn to make it more full, when should I dethatch, what bug or insect is this, what disease is on my lawn.

Those are the main questions that they ask

Steve
04-21-2006, 08:44 PM
What about having a F.A.Q. section?

But then I wonder does that help your business?

Maybe being an expert is always good though.

tiedeman
04-21-2006, 08:53 PM
You nailed it right on the head. If I provide too much information out in the open, then I am losing work.

For example, when someone calls about a disease, I always tell them that I can take a look at it and let them know. And then when I am on their property I might sell them on a program to take care of it.

Steve
04-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Do you think these are two different groups? One group being the kind that does not want to work on their lawn and the other that does?

Or is there a middle ground too?

If they didn't get the answer from you, would they get it elsewhere?

Maybe by positioning yourself as an expert, others will get to know you and talk you up to people in their area?

tiedeman
04-21-2006, 09:03 PM
From what I have learned is that there are two kinds of people that ask for questions, and I am not talking about people that call up and want an estimate. I am talking about people that call out of the blue looking for advice.

Person 1
They are the DIY warrior. They want to do everything themselves, but have a question about something. You will never get work from them

Person 2
The part time DIY. They do most of the lawn work themselves, such as mowing, but want help with fertilizing, landscaping installation, or spring/fall clean up.

The "person 2" is whom I try to target more and offer to give them not only advice, but also an estimate for a service. "Person 1" really only wants an answer now, and doesn't have time to wait. If you can not provide them with an answer or return their phone calls right away, they will look for someone else.

Steve
04-21-2006, 09:50 PM
You got me thinking Troy http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

What if when we set up the templates, some how we set them up so they were able to offer a forum section and then maybe have a section in the forum for diy's to ask questions.

Like for instance imagine your site had a forum button and then it was like this.

http://www.gophergraphics.com/frametest2.html

Steve
04-21-2006, 09:51 PM
WOW I am trying this out and it works!

Oh that could open a whole new world.

Then each LCO could have a forum on their site which they wouldn't have to be concerned about maintaining because we would do that.

And then you would still have the navigation bar at top to guide the viewer to links on your site.

tiedeman
04-21-2006, 10:05 PM
That is pretty cool!!!!

tiedeman
04-21-2006, 10:06 PM
What might be good too, is have a section for only homeowners that can view. They can't view like our section of where we talk about our business stuff and customer relations

Steve
04-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Yea very good point.

Hmmmmmmm

What forum topics do you think would be good for such a site like this? Should it be only home owner stuff or should there be a section to talk shop too?

tiedeman
04-21-2006, 10:10 PM
I personally think that if for example I am going to have it on my site, then it would be best just for a homeowner section.

But here is another kicker that could work out...have it where basically all the questions and answers from every businesses websites customers are posted and answered.

Steve
04-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Troy, you really get me thinking.

The other thing I was thinking is this. It then becomes kinda like reality tv. If they are interested, they can see all the things that go on behind the scene. All the work that is put into running a business. And then maybe the more they learn about it the more they would appreciate how tough it is.

Just a thought.

Because no one bashes anyone on here. So it's not like they would see, Oh Mr. Smith is such an ####### I hate dealing with him.

Steve
04-21-2006, 10:11 PM
Quote[/b] ]But here is another kicker that could work out...have it where basically all the questions and answers from every businesses websites customers are posted and answered.

That is brilliant!

ritchiem
04-22-2006, 08:38 AM
well lately I have been up to my neck in PHP code...and I believe that all of what you are talking about is possible. I'll touch on this in the next day or so when the new "Design In Q" site is up and running.

Cheers,

tiedeman
04-22-2006, 07:11 PM
I look forward in seeing what you are going to come up with Richard