PDA

View Full Version : Grow Grass Grow

Steve W
03-31-2009, 06:31 AM
Hello, My name is Steve and I have started a new lawn care business in
southwest Ga. The name is Ga Lawn Enforcement. I am reg. with the State of Ga. and my home town also. I have been wanting to do this for years but never got started. I have plenty of competition around here and hope to learn some tricks of the trade here.

Steve
03-31-2009, 11:52 AM
Hi Steve,

Welcome to our forum!

What finally pushed you over the edge and got you to start your business? What have been some of the tough parts you have experienced so far?

Steve W
04-01-2009, 07:22 AM
The increasing need of $$$$! Is what pushed me over the edge.:eek:
The hardest part for me to do so far is figuring out how much to charge to be competative and how to set up payment details.:confused:

Steve
04-01-2009, 12:07 PM
I think if you can shoot for $45 an hour, you should be within a safe range of what is the average. It may be tough to look at a job initially and guess how long it will take but this dollar figure should help give you a goal to shoot for.

When you say set up payment details can you tell me what about that you are getting stuck on?

SuperiorPower
04-01-2009, 12:36 PM
The hardest part for me to do so far is figuring out how much to charge to be competative

I can see how it would be really hard at first because you don't know what all expenses you are going to face. In another thread recently we discussed how you can get a good idea how to charge per hour by adding all your maintenance and fuel cost to the cost of the equipment. I think we took the initial cost of the equipment and cut it in half (figuring the equipment should last at least 2 years), add this to the maintenance and fuel costs. Divide that figure with the total # of hours you anticipate that machine to run throughout the year. Do this with each machine and add the result from all the machines together. Now add what your labor costs are per hour (don't forget to pay yourself). There you have the cost per hour of doing business. There was some more stuff in there but this is the basic jest of it.

The problem with this when you start out it is hard to estimate how long each piece of equipment runs on each job. If you want to read the thread I am sure we can find it for you.

Good luck,
Eli

Steve
04-01-2009, 01:52 PM
You can also experiment with the business estimate calculators (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?p=43299#post43299) too.

Steve W
04-02-2009, 04:24 AM
Thanks For the advice Steve!
What I mean about payment details is, wondering how most Companies
are setting up payments. Is it per Visit or Per Month. I know that I look @ it diff. than some, But when I look at what mowing cost per month or per year to mow even a $30.00 per cut yard. I think to myself that money could buy a mower and could cut more than one season. I know I have to work on getting over That thought but its hard.

Steve
04-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Ultimately the faster you can get your money, the better.

So if they can pay you on the spot, that's great! Can they pay you a month in advance? That's even better. You don't want to have to chase people down who owe you money.

What kind of payment options are you considering now?

VPS Lawn Care
04-03-2009, 01:21 AM
I Offer 3 payment options

1) Cash At time of service

2) Monthly ALWAYS in advance

3) Annual Agreement payed monthly In Advance

I have had no problems with this system so far, only chasing i have to do is with 1 bank i have.........takes forever to be paid.........

Hope this helps

Steve W
04-03-2009, 02:07 AM
Thanks Superior,
I have been working on my figures and I see what you mean.

Steve W
04-03-2009, 02:19 AM
Thanks VPS,
YES Cash up front is the best. I was thinking of offering a discount for monthly upfront payments as well as yearly. Each would have its own value.
Lets Say: 10% off montly and 15% off yearly when paid in advance.
I have to do more figures to make sure that would'nt hurt me on anything.
What is kinda hurting me right now is the unemployment rate is in the double
digits where I live and a big Tire factory is shutitng down.

Steve
04-03-2009, 12:56 PM
In general we don't see discounts for monthly prepays. Sometimes with yearly prepays. But charging a month ahead of time shouldn't be too big of a problem.

Let us know how this works out for you.