PDA

View Full Version : Just Starting

xulcuz
03-30-2009, 03:06 PM
I have come to this forum in search of advice and knowledge. I have decided that I want to start a lawn care business. I am a freshman in college and I have always loved mowing lawns and always thought it would make a great job. As the end of this school year approaches I decided that instead of working hard and getting nothing, I would work for my self and take in the money. I have mowed lawns for years. Through out high school I mowed three commercial buildings. Recently one asked me if this year I could mow another of their buildings. This is what sparked my idea.
I have all the tools, got a trailer, and I have a truck. For tools I have a Z-master, a weed wacker, a back pack blower and Im thinking Im going to invest in a gas edger. Is this reasonable? Also if I am just starting like this do I have to register as a business? Or could I wait till it expanded? Next I am in the process of designing flyers to hand out door to door. Any thing I should for sure include in those? Another thing I question is my ability to price things out? Any tips on that? Any other light you guys could shed on this would be great.
Thanks

picframer
03-30-2009, 03:47 PM
First off good luck, you will no doubt do well as you already have a lawn care customer base.

I too started this year full time, decided I had enough of the corporate world and lawn care/landscaping is something I love to do.

My son is a University student, we had all the equipment last year and he and two friends went at it and made a pile of bucks, it seems customers prefer hiring students to help them out, I have also read this elsewhere.

This summer I will focus on landscaping and excavation while my son and his two friends work on lawn care and tree cutting, they will do well.

What they found and what I have been finding is while working at a site, neighbours, people walking by ask if you would do..........or can you come over when you are finished...etc. This has happened to me personally a lot in the past few weeks and I have weeks worth of work as soon as our weather clears up a bit. What I also find is the lettering on the truck and trailers while parked has people asking, I dropped my daughter off at her friends Sunday morning, the next doo neighbour was reading the side of my truck then waved for me to come over which I did, we talked about a few services he wants, I dropped a quote off later in the day and he agreed to it, as soon as it warms up.....another snow storm hitting here tonight:)

I do not know your laws where you live but 99% of the time you have to register your business, you will also need commercial insurance, if you opt to not go this route and you had an accident for example with your truck, it is very possible you would not be covered.

I recently attended a home show and watch the local web based advertisements, it seems like a ton of people are getting into the lawn mowing at crazy cheap prices, mainly from what I have found, high school students, so you need to offer services they do not, better quality work or leverage your contacts. Personally I decided to diversify into areas of service other companies were not offering, so far so good.

Andy

Steve
03-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Hi xulcuz,

Welcome to our forum!

Have you thought about a business name you would like to use yet or are you just going to use your name? I don't think you would need to register your business name if you go with your name. Like "Bob Smith" lawn care as long as you have the checks made out to Bob Smith.

Ultimately though, if you are going to make a go of it, registering a business name is very simple.

What are some of the next things you are focusing on and working on?

StartALawnCareBusiness
03-30-2009, 05:10 PM
I have come to this forum in search of advice and knowledge. I have decided that I want to start a lawn care business. I am a freshman in college and I have always loved mowing lawns and always thought it would make a great job. As the end of this school year approaches I decided that instead of working hard and getting nothing, I would work for my self and take in the money. I have mowed lawns for years. Through out high school I mowed three commercial buildings. Recently one asked me if this year I could mow another of their buildings. This is what sparked my idea.
I have all the tools, got a trailer, and I have a truck. For tools I have a Z-master, a weed wacker, a back pack blower and Im thinking Im going to invest in a gas edger. Is this reasonable? Also if I am just starting like this do I have to register as a business? Or could I wait till it expanded? Next I am in the process of designing flyers to hand out door to door. Any thing I should for sure include in those? Another thing I question is my ability to price things out? Any tips on that? Any other light you guys could shed on this would be great.
Thanks

If you bid commercial mowing jobs, you should go legit by becoming licensed and insured. You will find most businesses that hire you will require liability insurance.

Properly pricing your jobs comes down to a set of 3 rules.

1) Know your costs

2) Know your customers

3) Know your competition

Check out the post located at:

http://startalawncarebusiness.com/blog/2009/03/bidding-a-lawn-care-job/

Keith

xulcuz
03-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Right now I know Im kind of late as far as signing spring contracts but Im working on getting my flyer template made out so that it can get printed tomarow hopefully. From there its just trying to get customers. How much does it ussually cost to register and liscense a new business?

swstout
03-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Right now I know Im kind of late as far as signing spring contracts but Im working on getting my flyer template made out so that it can get printed tomarow hopefully. From there its just trying to get customers. How much does it ussually cost to register and liscense a new business?

Here in South Carolina my business license coat $216.00, My landscaper license cost $324.00.

It varies from state to state and county to county.

SuperiorPower
03-31-2009, 12:07 AM
My friend you have definitely come to the right place. There is plenty of information to be picked up here.

Are you talking about having a business license through the County or having your business name registered through the state (these are 2 seperate things)?

Steve
03-31-2009, 12:11 PM
How much does it ussually cost to register and liscense a new business?

To register your business name at your county courthouse, it could be less than $100. You may or may not need a license depending on your area and the services you are offering.