PDA

View Full Version : Dothan Lawn Care redux - Shark Attack

SprinklerRepair
03-25-2009, 07:39 PM
The "Dothan Lawn care Caper", or as the uninformed prefer to call it, the "website imitator" got a lot of reads. Over 1000.

Well, the fin is back in the water. I've decided to "shark" another lawn care city. Now, I have many "lawn care" sites that rank between 1-5 in many cities. I'm just waiting another 6 months or so and then I will sell them. Easy money when you know how.

Most lawn company guys are way too busy cutting grass to master the SEO learning curve, yet they know that online organic search rankings are the best cost per return advertising on the planet.

For that reason I've chosen a Florida city to "shark." I could have chosen Kentucky or any other state. Makes no difference to me. They don't know I'm coming for them.

I'm going to chronicle my take over of those search engine returns exclusively here on the Gopher Forum, for the Gopher Forum members.

Hey Steve, why not give me my own channel? :D

Why would I give away all this hard earned info for free? Well for one reason, this time I'm not gonna be the good guy and give it back. I'm gonna make a few thousand doing it.

At the same time I hope to convince some lawn care operators into doing business with me by SEO'ing their sites.

The other guys get free info watching me "bite." And maybe some of you will prefer to be clients instead of victims.

This will be a long, long thread.

Steve
03-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Great! I like to think of this as your own channel! You should make video updates too with the Jaws theme song in the background as your site rankings improve.

It will be fascinating to watch.

I know others are interested in watching and learning as well.

What is this operation going to be called?

musician/lawnman
03-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Sprinkler Repair,

What kind of rates would you charge for such a service?
I get calls constantly about xyz company that gaurantees results for ranking high (1st, 2nd, 3rd) trying to sell me these services.

To be honest, I think it's cool as hell that you've not only invested the time & energy to figure it out, but that you've proven you can do it well.

So, I may very well be interested in hiring you. (provided I'm no the next poor schmuck your about to pick on) haha :D

Steve
03-25-2009, 09:39 PM
So, I may very well be interested in hiring you. (provided I'm no the next poor schmuck your about to pick on) haha

You just made me spit out my drink HAHAHAHHAHAH

musician/lawnman
03-25-2009, 10:17 PM
:p Well My appologies to your keyboard sir.

SprinklerRepair
03-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi musicman, I don't know how to do the "green quote" thing, otherwise I would have used your statement "So, I may very well be interested in hiring you. (provided I'm not the next poor schmuck your about to pick on) haha".

As you can see getting SERP's doesn't mean that you need to be able to spell, type or use this interface!

My prices are listed here. For your area (fairly competitive due to all the snowbird yards) I would suggest option number one.

The phone SEO frauds (they call me too) are Pay Per Click salesmen. I played along with one of them and they told me I was nowhere in the Google listings (I've been #1 for years) and they said you have to "pay Google for keywords." Once I started grilling her, she got so angry and flustered that she hung up on me !:)

Now PPC has it's place. Very tough markets can be difficult to break into organically. And PPC is a science unto itself. You can lose money very fast if you don't know what you are doing.

But for geo-specific search, unless you want to rank for something super tough like "real estate Punta Gorda", it does not require the ongoing forever cost of PPC.

This is a special rate I came up with because I know most lawn guys don't have $2500 -$6000 for a years worth of SEO. So these packages are like a "launching pad" for your site. After that you blog twice a week the way I show you and you are in. Or for $29.99 a month you can watch all the videos on and just do the same stuff yourself.

It's really just "paint by numbers" once you know how.

But, if I were you I would forget trying to rank in Sarasota. The guy that is #1-#2 for all the good keywords is my client. That would be a long row for you to hoe!

By the way, I used to live on Casey Key and repair sprinklers in Port Charlotte. Man, I miss eating fresh, just stopped wiggling, snook for dinner everyday!

Get 82% more business, or your competitor will.

SprinklerRepair
03-26-2009, 01:04 PM
I guess I should come up with a catchy name for this project. I used "The Dothan Lawn Care Caper" last time because of the way some of the more tech savvy members sniffed me out immediately! It was very Sherlock Holmes, and kind of touching as well to watch other members rally to the aid of the grieving victim. :p

Any ideas? "shark attack seo"? "blood in the water marketing"? I like the shark theme because it is a famous Florida beach town that I'm targeting.

That website (word press blog) went up this morning.

I will build a separate video website where gopher members can watch the process of going in for the keyword kill.

By the way, the site went up about 6 hours ago and is already on page 3!

Not a link to the site, the actual freaking site!!! I love this stuff!

SprinklerRepair
03-26-2009, 01:57 PM
tick tick tick.......UPDATE

The actual website, not a link to the site, but the actual website is NUMBER FREAKING ONE on google for "xxxxx(the city) sprinkler repair" in .....

drum roll please............................................ ......................

8.5 hours

How' zat for get listed on Googe fast? "Google sandbox" comments anyone?

It probably will drop. That's way, way too fast. But it is fun!;)

************************************************** ****************************-

StartALawnCareBusiness
03-26-2009, 03:14 PM
tick tick tick.......UPDATE

The actual website, not a link to the site, but the actual website is NUMBER FREAKING ONE on google for "xxxxx(the city) sprinkler repair" in .....

drum roll please............................................ ......................

8.5 hours

How' zat for get listed on Googe fast[/URL]? "Google sandbox" comments anyone?

It probably will drop. That's way, way too fast. But it is fun!;)

************************************************** ****************************-

Hey, SEOGUY (that URL is taken...I just checked), your link at the bottom of your messages is fubar'd. ;-) Need to remove some spaces.

Can you send me your phone number? I want to ask you a couple questions.

Keith

SprinklerRepair
03-26-2009, 03:53 PM
yeah, the link has been wrong for months
I guess I should get around to it, but it ranks on the first page, and sometimes #! for the best converting phrases on Google so it's not real important to me
Which URL is taken? These are my sites!?

StartALawnCareBusiness
03-26-2009, 04:02 PM
yeah, the link has been wrong for months
I guess I should get around to it, but it ranks on the first page, and sometimes #! for the best converting phrases on Google so it's not real important to me
Which URL is taken? These are my sites!?

I wasn't dogging you. I was talking about. I thought that would be a good URL but it's taken. Remember "PizzaGuy" from Fast Times at Ridgemont High?

I got your number...will call you in a few.

Keith

musician/lawnman
03-26-2009, 04:37 PM
I am facinated by how it all works & would love to learn. I have a couple quick questions though.

With options 1 & 2, You do the work to get it to #1 & then do you teach how to keep it there? How long might that last?

With option 3, It's an 8 weeks take ver of online competitors, at $29.99 /mo
but for how long? 29.99 a month for the 2 months? a year? Indeffinately?

I am interested.

I literally just got off the phone with the salesman... he called again.
Wants several hundred a month, with a 3 month minimum (then month to month after with no contract) & guarantees #1 sponsored result rankings for all common key words for your trade & geographic area.

SprinklerRepair
03-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Hey Keith,
it was refreshing to talk with you on the phone as you :
1. get it
2. understand what I'm saying

I think I can learn a lot from you as well. Stick with me on this thread and comment on my posts.

Maybe together we can pull some others up to the point where they "see the light".

The main difference between us (Steve included of course as he reads this post on his Google phone in his Maserati on his way home from an exhausting night at the Play Boy mansion), you and I both make money online, and most of these guys don't.

They have yet to experience the profit potential of the "new phone book."

And they won't, unless they take at least a little bit of action.
Unfortunately for the slackers, their competitors will eat their lunch.

I eat my competitions lunch every day. Yum! It tastes better when you just take it away from them.

Wanna eat your competitors lunch?

SprinklerRepair
03-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Hey Musicman, love the videos, big fan.

Musicman in quotes :

"With options 1 & 2, You do the work to get it to #1 & then do you teach how to keep it there? How long might that last?"

Hmmm, I don't think I ever said #1.
Anybody that guarantees you an organic number one spot on Google is either a liar or an idiot. I did say that all my clients are #1 for at least one keyword, and on the front page for many others. I also guarantee a link on the 1st page of Google or I'll refund your money.

I don't accept everyone. I have to qualify your expectations. If you said "Okay, I'm in. I wanna be #1 on Google for the keyword lawn."

I would say, "okay, it's $25,000 a month for five years. Pay in cash at the counter on your way out."

1996 it ain't. This is 2009 and 100,000 phishing sites go up every week! How many real sites? A few million a day?

So, how long will your site last? That's up to you. It's like American Idol. I can get you onstage, but if you suck (in my world suck=no new content) then the better band (more new content) will eventually kick you out.

I can show you a super cheap, easy way to post new content. I've got over 150 websites, and I type with one finger. Catch my drift? It ain't hard to do.

"With option 3, It's an 8 weeks take over of online competitors, at $29.99 /mo
but for how long? 29.99 a month for the 2 months? a year? Indefinitely?"

It will probably take you 2-3 months to absorb and implement the techniques on the 30+ videos and counting.

#1 that is a dirt *** cheap way to rank, and when you are done, you will know how forever. Why should you know? Because then it becomes "cookie cutter." You can start ranking as many sites as you like. With the state of the economy, I'm so glad that I invested in domain names rather than AIG.

My "stock" is up!

"I literally just got off the phone with the salesman... he called again.
Wants several hundred a month, with a 3 month minimum (then month to month after with no contract) & guarantees #1 sponsored result rankings for all common key words for your trade & geographic area."

The word you should pay attention to here is "sponsored". That means PPC. I talked to Kieth tonight and he said he profited from PPC. He will also tell you that it is a short term approach. If you do PPC, my advice is to pay someone to walk you through the landmines. You can get hurt out there.

My view on PPC versus organic is "do you want to rent forever? Or do you want to own"? I prefer to own. Online its way cheaper.

**************************************- I'll fix that ITV url someday :)

musician/lawnman
03-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Sprinklerman,

Alrighty, Sounds good & I look forward to learning from you. I put my page together DIY after a salesman quoted me $1500 to build 4-5 page site & I told him he was out of his mind. "Do you know how much work I have to complete to generate $1500 in spendable profits? I'll figure it out myself before I'd spend that much cash on this" He told me I'd never figure it out if I hadn't been taught how to do it before. A month later my site was live.
The best way to motivate me is tell me I cant do something or that it's never been done before. Can't wait to get started.
By the way, Thanks for the compliment on the music/videos. That's my stress relief & creative outlet.

Steve
03-27-2009, 10:57 AM
I'd love to see your rankings improve. What search term is the most important now and where do you rank at it? It'd be great to see where you are now and then in the future as you implement these seo techniques, where you are then! Also keep track of your call volume and where callers found you.

StartALawnCareBusiness
03-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Chuck (and everyone else):

I had a good conversation with Craig on the phone last night.

I do not believe in snake oil or silver bullets. Proper SEO takes effort. Craig knows how to marry hard work with intelligent organization.

$1000 is a hard pill for anyone to swallow especially for something as apparantly non-tangible as a SERP increase. However, I was thinking about the numbers this morning. If your SEO'd website generates only 3 additional $30/week customers, you will make that $1000 back before the end of July.

A top ranking website will easily generate 3 customers.

If you do nothing else, download and read his Dothan Lawn Care Caper .pdf available through his website. I downloaded it a couple weeks ago and learned many tips from it. It is free and a good read.

Keith

SprinklerRepair
03-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the props Keith!

Organic SEO does take time to see results. Now the tried and true "white hat" approach is to "put up good unique content on a regular basis and links will form naturally."

Good advice if you started your site 5 years ago and properly formatted your meta data. But for a brand new site? Who has time for that? We got bills that need to be paid now and search traffic will help pay them.

You need to learn how to "game the system without the system knowing it's being gamed."

What I like to think of as "white hat with a dirty brim, maybe some smudge marks, possibly a grease stain or two." It doesn't roll off your tongue as well, but it beats the pure white hat theory hands down.

Once you have some good links, you can afford a new white hat and look down on all the "system gamers."

Personally, I love the game. I risked moving too quickly with the "dothan" website, but it's like speeding without getting caught. No ticket and a #1 ranking that I handed back to the owner with a gracious tip of my dirty white hat.

This time I'm moving a bit slower as I don't have a "#1 in 30 days" gun to my head challenge. The slower pace allows me to make my links look more natural, although I believe in creating my own rather than waiting on the wind to get sailing..

I probably shouldn't tip my hand two days in, but what the hell. Let's have fun with this.

This link will give away my target.....

I show exactly how to make these super easy videos on my seo membership site, and why I say and do certain things.

If you want a video like this made, as well as a podcast scraped from it, and have it distributed to 35 sites in 4 different formats (140 links) over the course of a month, I can do that for $197.00

For keywords under 50,000 returns it's probably all you need to rank in the top 5 (as well as blogging.) If you won't blog I will not accept you as a client unless you pay me $240.00 a month to do it for you ($30 a post) which is a ridiculous waste of money. Just write something twice a week. Anything. You won't believe your results.

Man, I'm a long winded bastard ain't I?

Get on Google fast

musician/lawnman
03-28-2009, 09:37 AM
When you add a blog to your site, Is that something that anyone can read or is it a behind the scenes tool that you use meaning it's there but not readily accessible to the public?

I Downloaded The Caper & have started reading it, Seems very informative so I figure, you give some information in there, I'll try to get my site up to snuff with what I can using the tips given, then I will be signing up for your service Craig. I have only gotten a few pages in & have already found some tag & keyword issues with my site.

SprinklerRepair
03-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Hi Chuck,
Email me as I have reviewed your site and have some some meta data / conversion tips that I think would be very helpful. These tips are free because at least you are showing some interest in improving your cost per customer acquisition. Slackers need not apply :)

Page depth does matter in the highly competitive keyword arenas. I don't think that "lawn care Punta Gorda " qualifies.

What you can do (as I show in the DLCC) is to build a page for every keyword.

Your URL was already a good choice versus "Chucks Lawn Care" (ego does not influence web bots).

So, http://www.charlottecountylawns.com/PuntaGordaFL, etc. The LSI of the Charlotte county URL will help a lot.

If you have the time and the "hair" (courage) you can save a lot of money over having me do it by just watching the videos. Can you f### up? Sure.

But on geo-specific search you get a wide latitude.

One wrong comma can screw you on the SERP's for "lawn care."

"Punta Gorda lawn care?" No. F### up at will. Content will always kick *** over WC3 compliance on a local level. Always.

Lawn guys that are too busy? or lack the "hair?" I'll do it for you.

If you think $1000.00 is a lot of money to spend on an internet presence, I just sent a quote to a referred customer for $17,800.00 to optimize their site.

I would not touch it for less.

It's just labor/time and skill. The exact same thing that you provide.

What I'm providing here on Gopher Haul is a geo-specific approach to ranking low volume "long tails."

But "low volume" to you might be 50 G's in landscape profits.

Some "get it" and some don't.

Can I interest you in a horseless buggy? I swear it is the next big thing.

musician/lawnman
03-28-2009, 08:59 PM
So would renaming for instance my home page from
http://charlottecountylawns.com/index.html
to say:
http://charlottecountylawns.com/puntagorda
be what you mean here?
Should I just rename the pages I have?
like from /testimonials to /northport
from /aboutus to /lawnservice etc.?

musician/lawnman
03-29-2009, 12:39 AM
Well Craig, I've been watching some of your reccommended videos & fighting for about an hour or so now to figure out what the control panels on the videos don't look like or share the features of mine....? Trying to get a wordpress blog added to my site. It seems I apparently set the site up on a microsoft hosting package that does not support the required PHP features to host wordpress. As I understand it, I need to back up all my files, Switch packages & reload my whole friggen site to make this happen. Yay, I can't wait! but it's gonna have to cause I'm outta juice tonight. I'll start screwing with that tommorrow.

The above sounds like I might be upset with you.... I am not at all, just tired, aggrivated & venting off into cyberspace! :mad:

SprinklerRepair
03-29-2009, 06:08 PM
No, don't rename your index page, add a page called punta gorda, north port, etc.

"Well Craig, I've been watching some of your reccommended videos & fighting for about an hour or so now to figure out what the control panels on the videos don't look like or share the features of mine....?" Does this mean theyare not working? I'll check it out.

Your host doesn't support php? What kind of server is that? If you want, I'll have my people do it and video the process.

These are the videos that we need for the DIY site. Stuff that people have trouble with.

SprinklerRepair
03-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Musicman,

I just checked the videos, they worked fine for me. The play, pause, volume bars are all visible at the bottom.

Is your Macromedia Flash Player outdated? Maybe we need a "if you can't see the videos click here" link.

You can update here: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

SprinklerRepair
03-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Duh, I just got.

Your Cpanel is different. Yeah, some of those "site builders" make it difficult to leave. They want your hosting money forever.

musician/lawnman
03-29-2009, 06:57 PM
No what I mean is.... My hosting is through 1and1.com I have the ms Home package. Unless I am missunderstanding it, the package I currently have won't support wordpress, from all I have been reading & I am rapidly trying to learn.... It is an issue of IIS (microsoft) vs. Apache (or LAMP - Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP) server technology.

My site is hosted on a MS server. Which is why for instance I could not host the info box that pops up when a customer clicks the "request an estimate" button on my contact us page. I have another forum member who is helping me out & hosting that feature off of his site.

Does this make sense to you Craig, or am I getting confused over something that's simple because I am missing some critical information here?

wdcutter
03-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Musicman,
I have the same host as you 1&1, but was wondering how the MS would work from what I read. I went with the Linux and run a wordpress Lawn Care blog for a web-site.
I can relate with your frustration.

musician/lawnman
03-30-2009, 12:29 AM
I'd love to see your rankings improve. What search term is the most important now and where do you rank at it? It'd be great to see where you are now and then in the future as you implement these seo techniques, where you are then!

Just for the record...
I just checked & Unfortunately for the search "port charlotte lawn service" on yahoo I am 7th on page 2.

Google... even worse for the same search.
6th Organic listing down, on page 7. Holy hell, I got alot of work to do.

To be honest in the past I had targeted the terms "Charlotte county" & "Lawn care" far more than "port charlotte" & "lawn Service"

for those terms on yahoo I rank 1st on page 1!
On Google I rank 1st through the lcodirect.com page (thanks Rich!)
7th & 8th on my regular page. (not great, but better...)

Updates to come later on!

SprinklerRepair
03-30-2009, 08:44 AM
Hey Musicman, have you contacted tech support ? They can easily (I think) move you to a different server. Or change hosts? I'm not familiar with that problem, and I've used a half dozen hosting companies.

As for targeted terms, use every combination of "lawn, landscape" words with all of your towns.

Here is how the shark attack is going, not bad for one week: All I used so far is this video service (http://www.trafficgeyser.com/cmd.php?)

http://www.screencast.com

musician/lawnman
03-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Yeah I contacted them & I can can switch hosting packages though, they said (repeatedly) I have to make sure to back up my page as it gets lost in transition & then must be reloaded.

swstout
03-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Yeah I contacted them & I can can switch hosting packages though, they said (repeatedly) I have to make sure to back up my page as it gets lost in transition & then must be reloaded.

I could not get WordPress to work and called my ISP. They told me that WordPress is PHP while Windows is ASP. They changed my service to Linux for me.

There were no problems with the change but it took over a day for the change. I see no difference and now have WordPress.

All my web pages were in html. They did warn me that if I have ASP aps on my site, there would be problems.

Steve

swstout
03-30-2009, 01:10 PM
I am a certified newby to SEO, blogging, and WordPres. I am taking my time setting up and doing a lot of reading on the WordPress site.

I have a few questions:

I currently have a sharred IP. Is there any advantage to getting a dedicated IP address?
Are there articles that I can import into my blog? If so where should I look for them?
From a previous post it was suggested that a new page should be developed for city location. How would that be incorporated and utilized?

Steve :confused:

SprinklerRepair
03-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Uh-oh, questions. I just stopped in to post a quick keyword video and haul ***. Real quick:
Dedicated IP? No.

Import content to Word Press? You can, I'll show you how, but I suggest against it for your main blog for reasons I'll explain later. Duplicate content is NOT the reason why, you can beat that.

Adding a page? www.BobsLawnCare.com/PuntaGorda

Here's a quick vid showing why all keywords are not the same.

MSN TOOL (http://adlab.microsoft.com/Online-Commercial-Intention/Default.aspx)

swstout
03-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Uh-oh, questions. I just stopped in to post a quick keyword video and haul ***. Real quick:
Dedicated IP? No.

Import content to Word Press? You can, I'll show you how, but I suggest against it for your main blog for reasons I'll explain later. Duplicate content is NOT the reason why, you can beat that.

Adding a page? www.BobsLawnCare.com/PuntaGorda (http://www.BobsLawnCare.com/PuntaGorda)

Here's a quick vid showing why all keywords are not the same.

MSN TOOL (http://adlab.microsoft.com/Online-Commercial-Intention/Default.aspx)

First, thanks for the info on dedicated IP address.

Second, I'm becoming a video junky. But enjoying and learning from them!
[/URL]
Third, the link [URL="http://www.bobslawncare.com/PuntaGorda"]www.BobsLawnCare.com/PuntaGorda (http://www.bobslawncare.com/PuntaGorda) Gives an error message 'not found'

I joined a local business program and ended up with a blog. I tested a google search with "Hartsville Lawn Care" and Lawn Care Hartsville". The first placed me at #5 and the second at #3. See, I am learning from you!

Steve

musician/lawnman
03-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Cool Video Craig.

Well I have ordered the switch! At some point over the next 24 hours my site will be flipped to a linux server enabling me to run php programs like wordpress etc. I'll have to reload my site (not a big problem) once the switch is complete. I wonder if the switch will drop my SEO rankings temporarily? Hmmm could be a nasty little side effect there huh?
we'll see I guess.

SprinklerRepair
03-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Hi Steve,

the URL www.BobsLawnCare.com/PuntaGorda is fictitious. It's just meant to illustrate adding a page. Of course the title and description and content of the page would be optimized around "Punta Gorda lawn/care/service/landscaping" etc.

As to the dedicated IP, if you are Amazon yes, Steves lawn care? No. The SE's will not care.

If you are going to "scrape" for blog content using RSS or whatever method you choose, make sure that you get this uniquefier plug in (http://goscript.net/featured-articles/wordpress-uniquefier-plugin.html). This will add java strings to the the scraped content so that you will not be found on copyscape (http://www.copyscape.com).

But that's not the reason why you shouldn't scrape your blog.

You will not build any authority in your niche by scaping. A feeder blog? Sure, scrape away. But for your primary blog you want to develop a voice and a style for your readership. Forget the avatars and headers. Your voice and opinion are unique and through your writing it will come out.

Yes, you can scrape 500 pages from Yahoo answers and ezines, deep link and rank, but for your primary business blog, if you are in it for the next 5+ years, you want your ideas on your blog, not somebody else's.

I finally bit the bullet and gave up my off server hosted PR5 (PR 5! Dammit!) blogsot and moved it all to my server on a Word Press.

Whaaa goes the baby.

Starting again at zero PR. But it the long run, as hard as it was to give up the traffic, it will benefit me 2-3 years from now. sniff

Here's my brand new, no links, blog:

Hey, while your there? Subscribe to the RSS. That way you can snitch me out for not blogging as I lambaste everyone else here for not doing the same! :D

swstout
03-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Hi Steve,

the URL www.BobsLawnCare.com/PuntaGorda (http://www.BobsLawnCare.com/PuntaGorda) is fictitious. It's just meant to illustrate adding a page. Of course the title and description and content of the page would be optimized around "Punta Gorda lawn/care/service/landscaping" etc.

As to the dedicated IP, if you are Amazon yes, Steves lawn care? No. The SE's will not care.

If you are going to "scrape" for blog content using RSS or whatever method you choose, make sure that you get this uniquefier plug in (http://goscript.net/featured-articles/wordpress-uniquefier-plugin.html). This will add java strings to the the scraped content so that you will not be found on copyscape (http://www.copyscape.com).

But that's not the reason why you shouldn't scrape your blog.

You will not build any authority in your niche by scaping. A feeder blog? Sure, scrape away. But for your primary blog you want to develop a voice and a style for your readership. Forget the avatars and headers. Your voice and opinion are unique and through your writing it will come out.

Yes, you can scrape 500 pages from Yahoo answers and ezines, deep link and rank, but for your primary business blog, if you are in it for the next 5+ years, you want your ideas on your blog, not somebody else's.

I finally bit the bullet and gave up my off server hosted PR5 (PR 5! Dammit!) blogsot and moved it all to my server on a Word Press.

Whaaa goes the baby.

Starting again at zero PR. But it the long run, as hard as it was to give up the traffic, it will benefit me 2-3 years from now. sniff

Here's my brand new, no links, blog:

Hey, while your there? Subscribe to the RSS. That way you can snitch me out for not blogging as I lambaste everyone else here for not doing the same! :D

Excuse my ignorance, but I have only a vague idea what RSS is. In the next hour or so I will attack the subject. Until then, I don't know if I am even able to do it. After I have somewhat of a handle on it I will.

You're helping me learn and at the same time keeping me out of my wife's hair. The honey do list is getting longer though! ;)

Steve

SprinklerRepair
03-30-2009, 06:31 PM
RSS = Really simple sysndication

or Really Simple SERP's (that's my definition)

It's all here, all 45 pages and still free #1 on Google How To
************************************-

swstout
03-31-2009, 11:11 AM
RSS = Really simple sysndication

or Really Simple SERP's (that's my definition)

It's all here, all 45 pages and still free #1 on Google How To************************************-

An hour wasn't enough! I how know enought about blogging and RSS to be dangerous. But I am learning. Experimenting, re-doing, and trying again.

I have been trying to many thing in your book at once. Going back and completing one thing at a time. Slow and steady from now on.

Thanks

Steve

SprinklerRepair
03-31-2009, 01:02 PM
First optimize the title and descriptions for your web pages

Then start your blog, and post at least something everyday.

Then I would make and put up your videos and podcasts with this site (http://www.trafficgeyser.com/cmd.php?). You can use their software and do it over the telephone.

Then put out some articles on the ezines.

Then build your Squidoo/Hub/Wetpaint pages.

Then bookmark your website, Squidoo/Hub/Wetpaint pages, videos, podcasts and your blog using social marker. Not all the social sites at once, it's better to randomize the days and times.

Then build an RSS feed for your website.

Then submit your website and blog feeds to the RSS directories.

Then pick up your phone. It's ringing.

Steve
03-31-2009, 01:16 PM

I am sure a lot of the members are wondering about posting frequency. Why daily? How does that help them vs. every other day or even weekly?

SprinklerRepair
03-31-2009, 01:51 PM
Well, especially when you are starting out, you do not have a lot of content indexed.

Your ping list will automatically inform the web bots of new content. SE's love new content.

In a small niche like "Oklahoma lawn care" you may be the only site consistently generating new content, versus being in the "Mac i-phone niche"

This constant spider activity, combined with the other tactics, will inform the SE's that there is a lot going here.

At the same time, you will be anchor text linking your main web page using LSI (latent semantic indexing).

If you don't know what that is, read the number one on Google how to book. That link is LSI.

By the way, here is the list of SEO diy videos on

Choosing a Domain Name
Key West Site Competition
“landscaping Key West" Competitive Analysis
How To Install FTP Software
FTP Accounts and Clients
How To Install Word Press Manually
How To Install Word Press on an Existing Website
How To Install Word Press Using Fantasitico
How To Install Word Press Theme
How To Install Word Press Plugins
How To Make Word Press a Static Site
How To Insert Title and Meta Tags
How To Convert HTML Site to Word Press Part 1
How To Convert HTML Site to Word Press Part 2
On page Linking
Off Page Linking
How To Claim Your Blog On Technorati
How To Use Articlez.com
Sumbit Site To Search Directories the Easy Way
How To Use Free Key Word Tool
Cheap Royalty Free Photos
Record Power Point Video 1
Record Power Point Video 2
Record Power Point Video 3
Record Power Point Video 4
Landscaping Key West PPT Video
Using Social Marker
Landscaping Key West 1st Post
How To Make RSS From HTML Site
How To Submit Your Site To Blogatiser
How To Submit Your Site To Digg
How To Create an Account On Webring.com
How To Claim Blog on MyBlogLog.com
How To Create an Account on Qassia.com
How To Create a Squidoo Lens
How To Use Proxy on Mozilla FireFox
Creating Gmail Account Using Proxy IP
Creating Account Using Proxy IP on Social Bookmarking Sites
Creating Personalized Software for Back Links
Installing PadGen
How To Create Pad File

And more are coming!

swstout
04-01-2009, 05:48 AM
First optimize the title and descriptions for your web pages

Then I would make and put up your videos and podcasts with this site (http://www.trafficgeyser.com/cmd.php). You can use their software and do it over the telephone.

Then put out some articles on the ezines.

Then build your Squidoo/Hub/Wetpaint pages.

Then bookmark your website, Squidoo/Hub/Wetpaint pages, videos, podcasts and your blog using social marker. Not all the social sites at once, it's better to randomize the days and times.

Then build an RSS feed for your website.

Then submit your website and blog feeds to the RSS directories.

Then pick up your phone. It's ringing.

Only about 1/3 thru your suggestions

Search Results

Blog of Stout Services Lawn Care Plus, Hartsville, SC

Stout Services Lawn Care Plus, 2177 Beaverdam Drive, Hartsville, SC. Tel: 843-639-5229. Come to MerchantCircle to get Stout Services Lawn Care Plus ...
www.merchantcircle.com/blogs/Stout.Services.Lawn.Care.Plus.843-639-5229 - 16k -

Cached - Similar pages

#1 | PR: ? | Google Cache Date: ? | Traffic Value: ? | Age: ? | del.icio.us: ? | del.icio.us Page Bookmarks: ? | Diggs: ? | Digg's Popular Stories: ? | Stumbleupon: ? | Twitter: ? | Y! Links: ? | Y! .edu Links: ? | Y! .gov Links: ? | Y! Page Links: ? | Y! .edu Page Links: ? | Technorati: ? | Alexa: ? | Compete.com Rank: ? | Compete.com Uniques: ? | Trends | Cached: ? | dmoz: ? | Bloglines: ? | Page blog links: ? | dir.yahoo.com: ? | Botw: ? | Whois | Sktool | Yahoo position: ? | Majestic SEO linkdomain: ?

Stout Services Lawn Care Plus, Hartsville SC 29550

Get discount coupons for Stout Services Lawn Care Plus and other Hartsville, SC local merchants.
www.merchantcircle.com/business/Stout.Services.Lawn.Care.Plus.843-639-5229 - 22k - Cached - Similar pages

#2 | PR: ? | Google Cache Date: ? | Traffic Value: ? | Age: ? | del.icio.us: ? | del.icio.us Page Bookmarks: ? | Diggs: ? | Digg's Popular Stories: ? | Stumbleupon: ? | Twitter: ? | Y! Links: ? | Y! .edu Links: ? | Y! .gov Links: ? | Y! Page Links: ? | Y! .edu Page Links: ? | Technorati: ? | Alexa: ? | Compete.com Rank: ? | Compete.com Uniques: ? | Trends | Cached: ? | dmoz: ? | Bloglines: ? | Page blog links: ? | dir.yahoo.com: ? | Botw: ? | Whois | Sktool | Yahoo position: ? | Majestic SEO linkdomain: ?

Stout Services

You have many lawn care companies to choose from, but Stout Services gives you the hometown advantage. We know the Hartsville area and understand its soil ...
www.swstout.com/ - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

#3 | PR: ? | Google Cache Date: ? | Traffic Value: ? | Age: ? | del.icio.us: ? | del.icio.us Page Bookmarks: ? | Diggs: ? | Digg's Popular Stories: ? | Stumbleupon: ? | Twitter: ? | Y! Links: ? | Y! .edu Links: ? | Y! .gov Links: ? | Y! Page Links: ? | Y! .edu Page Links: ? | Technorati: ? | Alexa: ? | Compete.com Rank: ? | Compete.com Uniques: ? | Trends | Cached: ? | dmoz: ? | Bloglines: ? | Page blog links: ? | dir.yahoo.com: ? | Botw: ? | Whois | Sktool | Yahoo position: ? | Majestic SEO linkdomain: ?

Lawn Mowing

Stout Services. Lawn Maintenance Services Plus. Licensed and Fully Insured ... Weather Averages for Hartsville · All Natural Insect Control. Lawn Mowing ...
www.swstout.com/lawn_mowing.htm - 12k - Cached - Similar pages
More results from www.swstout.com »

#4 | PR: ? | Google Cache Date: ? | Traffic Value: ? | Age: ? | del.icio.us: ? | del.icio.us Page Bookmarks: ? | Diggs: ? | Digg's Popular Stories: ? | Stumbleupon: ? | Twitter: ? | Y! Links: ? | Y! .edu Links: ? | Y! .gov Links: ? | Y! Page Links: ? | Y! .edu Page Links: ? | Technorati: ? | Alexa: ? | Compete.com Rank: ? | Compete.com Uniques: ? | Trends | Cached: ? | dmoz: ? | Bloglines: ? | Page blog links: ? | dir.yahoo.com: ? | Botw: ? | Whois | Sktool | Yahoo position: ? | Majestic SEO linkdomain: ?

Google 1 - 4

SprinklerRepair
04-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Good job!

Hey, you don't have to do everything I suggest. Often just some of the tactics are enough. It depends on the key word competition and how web savvy your competitors are.

Video and podcasting (http://www.trafficgeyser.com/cmd.php) work the fastest for me.

SprinklerRepair
04-01-2009, 01:36 PM
While we're at it, forum posting helps if you include an anchor text link. Flash is cool, but nobody here is going to hire you to mow their lawn!:p
So just drop a link like panama city lawn care services.

swstout
04-01-2009, 02:42 PM
While we're at it, forum posting helps if you include an anchor text link. Flash is cool, but nobody here is going to hire you to mow their lawn!:p
So just drop a link like panama city lawn care services.

I'll try to insert an anchor text link.

Steve

Hartsville lawn care (http://www.swstout.com)

swstout
04-01-2009, 02:45 PM
I'll try to insert an anchor text link.

Steve

Hartsville lawn care (http://www.swstout.com)

This is cool, will this work on blog submission also? Wher else can these be inserted? How many different ones can be inserted?

Steve

Hartsville lawn care (http://www.swstout.com/)

musician/lawnman
04-01-2009, 07:53 PM
SwStout,

Has the Merchant Circle advertising done anything for you? How's it been?
They keep hounding me.

swstout
04-01-2009, 09:02 PM
SwStout,

Has the Merchant Circle advertising done anything for you? How's it been?
They keep hounding me.

I have the free account and they truncated my name. Stout Services instead of Stout Services Lawn Care Plus. If you type in Stout Services into google or Yahoo I cume up #1.

It didn't hurt! But it doesn't have the power of WordPress.

Steve

SprinklerRepair
04-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Go to https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal and search all the terms for what you do, "lawn care" "landscape service", etc.

Title your posts with all the long tail terms that come up and add "hartsville SC" and all the other towns you service.

Start your post with "hartville lawncare can encompass many aspects of South Carolina landscape service..." blah, blah.

Anchor "hartsville lawn care" with your site URL. If you have different pages for different services, anchor to those pages (not always your homepage).

Whats that ringing sound?

musician/lawnman
04-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Well I got my blog up & off to a mild start, I added the list you suggest in the Caper report to the update services too. I am just learning wordpress so I am sure there is plenty I could & should be doing better with it.
Check out what I have so far here <a href=”http://www.charlottecountylawns.com/wordpress"> Port Charlotte Lawn Care tips</a> when you guys get a chance.

Tell me what ya think.

How long does it typically take for engines to pick up & index new content?
I am doing well on yahoo & just stinking up the place with google.

I will be signing up for services next week to help with that too.

musician/lawnman
04-04-2009, 09:44 PM
That anchored text link isn't working right, keeps picking up the gopher address first?

it's at http://charlottecountylawns.com/wordpress

SprinklerRepair
04-05-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm not seeing a meta description in your source code. Am I missing it?

I don't think your SEO plugin is activated.

I don't see any anchor text, just straight URL's.

To index your blog, submit your RSS to the directories.

Even better, make a slide show video and submit it to the video sites (not just YouTube).

Even better yet? Join this video service (http://www.trafficgeyser.com/cmd.php). I think they still have a $1 trial offer going.

I've used it for two years now. Do it exactly how they tell you and in two months you will own the joint (providing you bookmark your site AND your videos).

SprinklerRepair
04-05-2009, 05:43 PM
For panama city lawn care, all I've done is RSS and videos.

No articles and very limited bookmarking of the website, not the videos.

So all in all, not much effort. Yet if you look at "panama city sprinkler repair" my video, podcasts and RSS have taken SERP's 1-10.

Meaning all the competition has been kicked to 2nd page.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=panama+city+sprinkler+repair&btnG=Search

For "panama city lawn care, the same is true for SERP's 2-8.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=panama+city+lawn+care&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

So I guess this video service (http://www.trafficgeyser.com/cmd.php) works, eh?

SprinklerRepair
04-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Oh, to those that say "nobody is going to listen to a podcast while looking for a lawn service"?

Very true.

But if there was a real company behind the website, the PHONE NUMBER would go RIGHT AFTER the URL in the description.

Meaning, your phone number would be right in their face on the Google page.!

swstout
04-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Good job!

Hey, you don't have to do everything I suggest. Often just some of the tactics are enough. It depends on the key word competition and how web savvy your competitors are.

Video and podcasting (http://www.trafficgeyser.com/cmd.php) work the fastest for me.

Dangerous to me! I got ****y and ended up in trouble. I went through all my web pages and inserted <title> ... <title> and a few other techniques you suggested. Unfortunately, I didn't preview the pages before publishing my changes. I ended up with a website with only blank pages. So I went back and edited all my pages. removed some of the changes and dug myself a bigger hole. Live and learn. You learn more from your mistakes than your successes.

The reason my pages were all blank - should have been <title> ... </title> not <title> ... <title>. I discovered this only after destroying my site by removing and editing.

Redoing the whole site now and previewing each and every page. Bought a better html editor (free wasn't such a good deal). Should be back up in a few days with a new site.

p.s. My new truck was delivered yesterday. Back in business again.

Steve

swstout
04-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Good job!

Dangerous to myself. I was a smart-allick and added the ... [title] bluss the description tage and the heder tag to each page. I wasn't smart enough to preview the pages before I published them. I had fixed my site beyond repair. By the time I realized it should have been [title] ... I had made so many changes that I fixed my site beyond repair!

Well, you lern more from your mistakes than your successes. I had a real learning experience.

I bought new html editor (the free one wasn't such a bargain)! and am redoing my site (previewing each page as I go). Should be back up in a day or two.

p.s. My new truck was delivered yesterday so I am back in business.

Steve

musician/lawnman
04-08-2009, 06:42 AM
You inserted what? How did you get in trouble?

swstout
04-08-2009, 08:36 AM
You inserted what? How did you get in trouble?

From
“The Dothan Lawn Care Caper”

In order to let the spiders know what your site is about, you need to
tell them using HTML text. This is why pure "flash" sites have
difficulty ranking quickly. Spiders have a difficult time reading flash
(photos) although they are getting better at it all the time. This
optimizing of HTML text is called "on page" SEO. It consists of 4
main categories:

·
Title tags

·

Description Tags

·

Header tags
· Latent semantic indexing text (LSI)

I can't use the (< or >) symbols posting here so I used the ([ ] ) symbols instead.

For example when I inserted the "title tag" substituting the < with [ (for this post)
Lawn Mowing [title], it should have been [title] Lawn Mowing . I didn't have the / (foreward slash]. and it basically erased everything on the pages when published.

The new html editor "Expression" Web 2 automatically adds the tag correct end with the foreward slash. When I enter it shows with space for me to enter my tag - Lawn Mowing -.

Steve

SprinklerRepair
04-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Here is an example of my source code1132

musician/lawnman
04-09-2009, 07:39 AM
Just for the record...
I just checked & Unfortunately for the search "port charlotte lawn service" on yahoo I am 7th on page 2.

Google... even worse for the same search.
6th Organic listing down, on page 7. Holy hell, I got alot of work to do.

To be honest in the past I had targeted the terms "Charlotte county" & "Lawn care" far more than "port charlotte" & "lawn Service"

for those terms on yahoo I rank 1st on page 1!
On Google I rank 1st through the lcodirect.com page (thanks Rich!)
7th & 8th on my regular page. (not great, but better...)

Updates to come later on!

Update:
"Port Charlotte lawn service" on yahoo: 1st (same with north port & punta gorda too)
On google: 4th on page 1

Getting better, & I haven't done all that much yet. Cool beans.

Oh yeah, and for "charlotte county lawn care" on google: I am now 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & Rich's LCo.direct page for me is 5th. Nice improvement there too.

Steve
04-09-2009, 11:54 AM
That is fantastic! Have you noticed an uptick in calls that come from your website?

SprinklerRepair
04-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Serp's 1 through 5 is called "owning the joint."

Good job!

Was my advice + book any help ? (Craig says as he trolls for plugs)

ritchiem
04-09-2009, 06:03 PM
& Rich's LCo.direct page for me is 5th. Nice improvement there too.

Sweet deal...I should start that up again...

musician/lawnman
04-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Steve,
I have gotten some more calls but it's hard to tell exactly how much of it is due to what? Because the grass just started growing too.

Craig,
Yes the information has helped alot sir, So thank you once again!
I'm having some trouble with wordpress though, I've got it up & running & have the platinum SEO set on, but the blog doesn't seem to be indexed at all. I'm sure I've got something entered wrong or toggled off when it should be on. I just haven't had much time over the last week to mess with it.

Ritchiem,
At some point I need to get in touch with you again, I'd like to update the information on my page. i.e. put up a new logo, add the website links, & some other information to it.

ritchiem
04-10-2009, 10:10 AM
No problem Chuck...I am home all day. I'll pm you my home phone.

StartALawnCareBusiness
04-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Steve,
but the blog doesn't seem to be indexed at all. I'm sure I've got something entered wrong or toggled off when it should be on.

Chuck:

Make sure you have the Google XML sitemap application installed.
Googlebot (and other bots) spider sites' blogs from sitemaps more readily than from following pages in linking hierarchies.

Keith

ritchiem
04-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Hey Keith...on a side note. I need a 155 x 125 px advert from you to place on my blog. Lets get some more traffic your way.

StartALawnCareBusiness
04-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Hey Keith...on a side note. I need a 155 x 125 px advert from you to place on my blog. Lets get some more traffic your way.

Ritchie:

I will get that done this weekend. Thanks for the reminder.

BTW, did you see the trackback I sent you from my blog post on propane powered trimmers?

Trackbacks carry significant in-link weight.

When people trackback to me I must approve or decline them. You may have automatic acceptance and I just didn't receive an approval notification.

I'm still trying to understand proper protocol of providing trackbacks & pingbacks and accepting/declining those sent to me.

Can you add insight?

Keith

Steve
04-10-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm still trying to understand proper protocol of providing trackbacks & pingbacks and accepting/declining those sent to me.

LOL me 2. I have no idea what they are or how to use them :)

ritchiem
04-11-2009, 01:05 PM
I cannot explain it any better than this

http://www.optiniche.com/blog/117/wordpress-trackback-tutorial/

If you want to continue the conversation about ping / tracks lets start a new thread. Where we can elaborate.

swstout
04-11-2009, 07:15 PM
I cannot explain it any better than this

http://www.optiniche.com/blog/117/wordpress-trackback-tutorial/

If you want to continue the conversation about ping / tracks lets start a new thread. Where we can elaborate.

Hi Ritch,

The above link is broken. I have found that when you speak or advise, I listen. Keep me learning!

Steve

ritchiem
04-11-2009, 07:51 PM
I guess the url is too long for the forums...odd. Here is a tiny url

http://tiny.cc/4eFi8

and if that doesn't work here is the non link url...copy and paste it

-http://www.optiniche.com/blog/117/wordpress-trackback-tutorial/-

swstout
04-11-2009, 08:03 PM
I guess the url is too long for the forums...odd. Here is a tiny url

http://tiny.cc/4eFi8

and if that doesn't work here is the non link url...copy and paste it

-http://www.optiniche.com/blog/117/wordpress-trackback-tutorial/-

The tiny URL failed also but the link http://www.optiniche.com/blog/117/wordpress-trackback-tutorial/ did work.

Thanks Steve

Little's
04-11-2009, 09:52 PM
I am wondering what picked up this thread. Yesterday...I think, there was about 600 or 800 views, now there is over 13,000 and counting. Any idea what happened?

swstout
04-11-2009, 10:34 PM
I am wondering what picked up this thread. Yesterday...I think, there was about 600 or 800 views, now there is over 13,000 and counting. Any idea what happened?

This thread picked up (in my opinnion) because:
1. People, like me, are eager to learn - especially if it helps them.
2. Craig starts things moving and Ritch expounds on it by giving background, the reasons, and the why.
3. Craig gets me researching and the researching prompts more questions.
4. Ritch usually answers my questions (sometimes directly - sometimes by directing me to more information). Prompting more research. More questions.
5. I am trying more, failing more, and succeding more. Always learning more.
6. I suspect my feelings are felt by others causing the pickup in threads.

That's my opinion and opinions are worth exactly what they cost. But, I thank both craig and Ritch for expanding my horizons. I can't wait to learn more!

Steve

Little's
04-12-2009, 01:37 AM
Thats not exactly what I meant. The thread must have been picked up by other forums, websites, something. To jump 13,000 views in 24 hrs. is beyond this forum alone. It has jumped over 1,000 just in the last couple hours.

SprinklerRepair
04-13-2009, 02:32 PM
To the new 13,000 viewers of this thread, this post of mine, and the following link, is a blatant abuse of forum protocol by offering nothing of value and posting solely for commercial self interest:

Get your free 45 page Google Blueprint to Rankings

At least I'm honest about it :D

Steve
04-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Thats not exactly what I meant. The thread must have been picked up by other forums, websites, something. To jump 13,000 views in 24 hrs. is beyond this forum alone. It has jumped over 1,000 just in the last couple hours.

I have no clue what happened and my only explanation is, The internet is crazy.

Steve W
04-13-2009, 08:28 PM
I wanted to know who the shark got, that what got me here!
LOL!:D

SprinklerRepair
04-21-2009, 04:28 PM
WATCH THIS:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wFYBLpCnHUU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Never bring a knife to a shark fight.

SprinklerRepair
05-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Whew! This was a cash outlay!

It is already paying for itself (thank God).

PM me if you want a video like this one (thousands, not hundreds)