PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!!! Need Belt For 36" Toro

Fresh Cut
03-21-2009, 09:23 PM
36" Toro ProLine Walk-behind

It's an old one, 1993 or 1992. I need the belt that drives the blades. Its snapped today and after not having any work for this past week, I have 2 yards tomorrow. I scheduled the first one @ 10am, when she gets out of church.

I need help. I went to local Home Depot and Lowes.... nothing. Although I did forget to take the old belt in when I went to Home Depot so they had nothing to match it up to.

The mower model #30165

I think the part number for the belt I need is 51-4290. Not sure because the old belt has nothing on it as far as letters or number. I just did a few quick google searches with the info I have.

I want to know where I can get this belt tomorrow morning in Metro Atlanta. Or maybe even somewhere that is 24 hours that I may be able to get it from tonight.

TIA
Desperate
E.P.

Steve
03-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Could you use a car belt? Measure the length needed and go to an auto parts store?

Fresh Cut
03-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Could you use a car belt? Measure the length needed and go to an auto parts store?

didn't think of that.

Might just work

Steve
03-21-2009, 09:53 PM
If you need to, use some string and wrap it around the pulley to get a good measurement of how big a belt you need.

Let us know how it goes!

Fresh Cut
03-22-2009, 07:18 AM
I sped up to a 24 hour auto parts store here in metro Atlanta and the guy there had a tool to measure the old one. We matched it up.

I'm on my way out the door now. Tell y'all how it works later today.

E.P.

Steve
03-22-2009, 07:22 AM
Oh great! Looking forwards to it!

SuperiorPower
03-22-2009, 08:12 AM

this works but is normally only a short time fix since automotive belts are of a considerable lesser quality than power equipment belts.

good luck!!

Eli

Fresh Cut
03-23-2009, 10:53 AM
this works but is normally only a short time fix since automotive belts are of a considerable lesser quality than power equipment belts.

good luck!!

Eli

Really?

Didn't know this. Thanks for the info. About how long can I expect to get away w/ the automotive belt that I put on?

Btw, I popped the belt that I initially bought trying to put it on. It was too short and wouldn't go on so I was trying to stretch it and ended up popping it.
Ran up to the local auto parts store and bought another one that was a tad bit longer, worked like a charm.

SuperiorPower
03-23-2009, 04:42 PM
I would expect it to last no more than about 1/4 as long as an OEM belt or an aftermarket true-to-oem belt. Matter of fact the belts I prefer are supposed to be stronger than OEM and are made with kevlar cord. With an OEM or OEM replacement you would not have been able to break a new belt, maybe cut it with the side of the pulley but not out right break it.

Just bear in mind that automotive belts are designed to run a long time with very little load. Power equipment belts are designed to run a long time under very heavy loads and it is understood that you may be mowing along and hit a thick patch of grass or weeds frequently. I have a mower that I have used for several years and have mowed a lot of tall weeds with it. I have yet (knock on wood) to break a belt on it. I would have expected an automotive belt to have worn out(literally) or broken from the stress had I used one instead of the OEM/OEM replacement belt.

I would definitely buy a new OEM or OEM replacement belt in case this belt breaks. It is not a bad idea to carry a new belt in your truck/trailer or have one back at the house at all times.

Good luck
Eli

Steve
03-23-2009, 05:34 PM
I haven't checked the prices in a while but how do auto belts compare with power equipment belts as far as price goes? Also what is the price difference between oem belts and generic ones?

SuperiorPower
03-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Automotive belts are much cheaper in design (and price!!). Typically OEM belts are slightly more expensive than Aftermarket.

Another problem with using automotive belts is that some manufacturers are making their belts in odd sizes. For example here are the lengths for some of the Lazer Zs: 111 7/16", 51 3/8", 39 1/2", 70 3/4", 169 1/2", 58 11/16", and so forth. The intent is to discourage you from buying anything other than OEM. But most aftermarket belts are sized accordingly and will fit just like OEM (contrary to what the OEM or dealer may tell you).

Fresh Cut
03-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Automotive belts are much cheaper in design (and price!!). Typically OEM belts are slightly more expensive than Aftermarket.

Another problem with using automotive belts is that some manufacturers are making their belts in odd sizes. For example here are the lengths for some of the Lazer Zs: 111 7/16", 51 3/8", 39 1/2", 70 3/4", 169 1/2", 58 11/16", and so forth. The intent is to discourage you from buying anything other than OEM. But most aftermarket belts are sized accordingly and will fit just like OEM (contrary to what the OEM or dealer may tell you).

OK, I understand now. I'll get to ordering an oem or oem replacement as soon as possible. As a matter of fact, give me a price for the the deck belt that turns the blades. I ask because I looked on the Toro site and couldn't find a part number for it, even with "find a part". Its around 50".

SuperiorPower
03-24-2009, 05:25 PM
if it is the belt I think it is, I believe it will be somewhere in the neighborhood of about $21 plus shipping (from me to you). Again, if it is the belt I think it is then it is a typical odd size belt with the a fraction size (like 5/16" or something).

hotwired
03-25-2009, 03:43 AM
I like http://www.landscaperpro.com/
I've been using them since 1992 give or take when they were Landscaper's Supply, Inc.