PDA

View Full Version : When to contact last years customers?

tomcat172002
03-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Hi,

Last year I start my lawn care business I got 15 customers. I live in Cleveland Ohio. I stopped cutting the first week of November when it started to snow. Last year I started the 3rd week of April. I don't want to call my customers too early and ask for a commitment because they might want to shop around. If I call them too late they might figure I am not in business this year and go with someone else. So far I have gotton 3 flyers on my door for lawn service. When would say a good time to call them up is?

Tom

Steve
03-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Do you use a service contract with them or have you considered doing that?

tomcat172002
03-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Steve,

What I do is I cut without any contract. That for me works out the best. When I first meet the customer I tell them that I will cut every week it needs to be cut. Then I bill them at the end of the month. Everyone has always paid me and I don't have any problems. I did have a couple of people dropped me so all I did was send them a bill and they just paid it. I think with the contracts that if you want out or they want out its a problem. What do you think about when to contact my customers?

Steve
03-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Well see my view is this. If you can get the customers on board with monthly payments throughout the year and then you can come in the winter months and provide some services like gutter cleaning or holiday lighting or just general around the yard clean up, it makes life so much easier for you. They will be used to paying you monthly and you will not have to go and try and get them to resign up every year.

What do you think about when to contact my customers?

I'd say there is no better time but the present. Can you offer any services now to get them up and running? Can you stop by their place and just give it a once over to see how it has handled the winter. Do your customer's gutters need attention?

Call them up and say hello. You want to stop by and see how everything is doing, or just stop over and then ask them if it would be alright if you started service again on xx/xx/xx date.

Ideally you always want to be reaching out to your customers. Don't give anyone else a chance to come in and look better. Be there. Be there go to guy when it comes to all facets of their property maintenance.

That's my view at least.

What's your view on that?

swstout
03-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Well see my view is this. If you can get the customers on board with monthly payments throughout the year and then you can come in the winter months and provide some services like gutter cleaning or holiday lighting or just general around the yard clean up, it makes life so much easier for you. They will be used to paying you monthly and you will not have to go and try and get them to resign up every year.

I'd say there is no better time but the present. Can you offer any services now to get them up and running? Can you stop by their place and just give it a once over to see how it has handled the winter. Do your customer's gutters need attention?

Call them up and say hello. You want to stop by and see how everything is doing, or just stop over and then ask them if it would be alright if you started service again on xx/xx/xx date.

Ideally you always want to be reaching out to your customers. Don't give anyone else a chance to come in and look better. Be there. Be there go to guy when it comes to all facets of their property maintenance.

That's my view at least.

What's your view on that?

This is my first year. I started last month by contacting the local Real Estate Co's and Banks. Next week I will be putting out Door Hangers on mailboxes. Here all mailboxes are at the street. I am going to attach the hangers to the mailbox flags.

On the front of my hanger I list our services, phone number, and website. On the back I have

All work is performed or supervised by the owner. We go the extra mile to keep reasonable prices while maintaining the highest standard of care and excellence. With the same person monitoring your landscaping at each visit, we can offer hands-on diagnosis of any problem and an immediate solution. We have the equipment to finish your job in a timely manner. This allows us to come in and do our job without getting in your way. If at any time you have a suggestion for improvement, we are willing to adjust to your needs. We are committed to showing you the best customer service experience in the business. Let us bring your lawn to life.

You have many lawn care companies to choose from, but Stout Services gives you the hometown advantage. We know the Hartsville area and understand its soil and lawn care needs. We customize each lawn program based on a free lawn analysis and soil test for each of our customers.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

Steve

Steve
03-21-2009, 10:23 PM
I think that is very well thought out and thorough! I think you are going to get a good response to that.