PDA

View Full Version : What do you suggest for covering grass seed

tuscangardens
03-19-2009, 09:31 AM
there is straw, which i hate cuz i have to clean it up....i know there is this lime product, but it is expensive.....any suggestions?

lawn-guy
03-19-2009, 10:00 PM
just use straw and when its ready mow it after a few cuts it will be gone and it will actually help the gass if ur dead set on not using it you can make a tack out of fiber mulch and water and spray on to yad with hydro seeder

tuscangardens
03-20-2009, 03:44 PM
thank you very much

Paul

mzlawncare
02-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Use a light covering of mulch or top soil

picframer
02-21-2010, 04:02 PM
there is straw, which i hate cuz i have to clean it up....i know there is this lime product, but it is expensive.....any suggestions?

We use straw also on grades, leave it for a month, sometimes less, go in with a mulcher/shredder and clean up as the seed has generally taken by then.

Top Notch Services
12-31-2010, 08:19 AM
I really suggest you use BLACK LOAM SOIL.

Don't use Triple mix.

WHY?

Its to rich.

It has manure manure & peat moss in it.

This will give you weeds.

I seen this a lot. People always add triple mix to their lawn and then wonder later on why they have weed problems. Clovers etc.

use Black loam.

Its a muddy soil. (when wet)
Nothing added
Great for Lawns
Wont give them weeds.

Check around and you will see.

hope it helps.

Cheers

dave

www.Topnotchworks.com

MountainViewGreenskeeper
12-31-2010, 01:04 PM
mulch or manure usually does the trick

Steve
01-05-2011, 05:28 PM
It has manure manure & peat moss in it.

This will give you weeds.

Does just it being rich in nutrients make weeds grow like crazy or is it more that weed seeds tend to be a part of the mixture through part of the process of creating it?

Top Notch Services
01-06-2011, 08:15 AM
I'm not sure how they blend the soil. Or if seeds get in when preparing the triple mix..

But,

I know that when you have bags of triple mix (or a pile of triple mix),
you will notice that when left alone it will start to grow weeds quickly. (no seeds or anything added).

Note: Have you ever bought a bag of soil (triple mix most likely) and when you opened the bag of soil you noticed something green growing (green stem, grass, weed)?

The longer these bags (piles) sit the more chances of seeing weeds quickly.

So to answer the question..

"Does just it being rich in nutrients make weeds grow like crazy or is it more that weed seeds tend to be a part of the mixture through part of the process of creating it?"

Yes, its because its to rich in nutrients which makes the weeds grow like crazy.

hope it helps

Note: Triple mix is great for gardens. Not a recommendation for grass. I recommend loam.