PDA

View Full Version : Hello, From the crew of Michiana Turf Spe******t

TJ930
03-19-2009, 06:39 AM
Hello; and thank-you for this web site! It has been a great deal of help as my (24 y/o) son (Anthony) & I (TJ) start on our new venture together. I live in the area of the Country that has been the hit hardest hit by this recession, southwest Michigan, Northwest Indiana (Michiana), where our local unemployment rate is over 18.5%. I am a former Purchasing Agent for a major R.V. Manufacturer, who has closed operation in Elkhart, Indiana. I along with thousands of co-workers have been back in the job market for almost a year now.

My son, a father of 4.5 (.5 = one on the way) has been unemployed for the past two years (thankfully my daughter-in-law has been working).

The Lawn Service (Michiana Turf Spe******t) is actually my roommates’ idea (who by the way is not part of our business oddly enough, perhaps in the future); it is something my son and I have just ran with it. We both needed something to do and needed income. Now it seems by targeting the right clientele, we will soon be able to hire other dislocated family members.

I have been surfing the gopherhaul site, and have been able to utilize many features. By the end of the month, we will be purchasing new office equipment, including computers. At that time, we will be purchasing the Gophersoftware.

I am including a link to our business site. www.michianaturf.com to share with you and the people who use this site as I have. The domain name is inexpensive and the hosting and e-mail client is free through Microsoft Office Live Small Business.

Take a look if you have moment, let me know what you think…

I am always open to new ideas, and ways to improve.

Again, thanks and have a good day…

TJ

Steve
03-19-2009, 06:56 AM
Hi TJ,

Welcome to our forum! I was looking at your post and trying to figure out why all the *****s appeared. Then I figured it out. It is blocking a word spammers use a lot. The drug 'c i a l i s'.

I am a former Purchasing Agent for a major R.V. Manufacturer, who has closed operation in Elkhart, Indiana.
That is a very unique background! What unique skills do you feel you are able to bring from your previous job to your new business venture? How do you feel being a purchasing agent has helped you now?

Very nice website!

TJ930
03-19-2009, 02:53 PM
What unique skills do you feel you are able to bring from your previous job to your new business venture?

Many years ago (1980’s) my brother started a lawn-care business. He soon afterwords moved to Texas, I ended-up doing the work for him for the remainder of the season, to honor his contracts. I at the time had a job of my own and three little kids to worry about. I did not think about taking over his business then. However, I have often wondered why.

I guess at the time I thought I needed stability. Now middle-aged, looking back, I am doing now what I should have done then. I was actually rather good; I had referrals I had to turn down because I did not think… let that be a lesson to your younger readers. Do not wait 27 years to think about it. As the man say’s “gopher it” (I like that it is kind-of cool)!

I will say the experience gained in business, has helped a lot, I actually hold a BA in Business Administration – Human Resources, and presently working on my masters. My education and background has helped a lot with the backside of this business. Allowing me to structure this business in addition to knowing how to handle the human element with both customers and future employees.

TJ

Steve
03-19-2009, 03:35 PM
That is really insightful! Thank you for that!

What kinds of things will you be doing to market your business?