PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Fellow Canadians

oGsfaeLoG
03-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Hello my fellow Canucks. First of all no offence to our neighbors to the south. I just thought it would be rather nice a place that we can all come to let off a little steam, or anything else that has started to boil.

I myself am from Mississauga, ON. I am a victim of the Automotive Industry. After 12 years and 2 layoffs I have decided to leave the Auto Industry. So I have been thinking of getting into the oversaturated world of Lawncare. If there is anyone here from Toronto they know what i mean when i say oversaturated. But I have always enjoyed a challenge. I have also a few different approaches that I think will work rather well. I have worked in the past for a buddy helping him out on Fridays but thats about it. I have also thought of maybe even joining up with another local Lawncare newbie. Hey if the big banks can amalgamate so can I.

So let the social networking begin.

Steve
03-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Welcome to our forum! It's nice to have you hear.

What do you feel would be the benefits of having a partner?

oGsfaeLoG
03-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Yes I know I have read the other threads and how does the saying ago " Hire employee before you take on a partner ". Well I am sure that not all partnerships go sour. I beleive when two friends or family members go into business it could turn into a disaster. But I guess i am approaching it differently by asking a total stranger.

I am new to this type of work. I have been out of work for almost 5 months now and I have had enough of the resume sending, phony interviews, being jerked around by countless employment agencies. Its time to do it on my own.

Being Canadian my first preference is anything that has to do with Hockey. Only problem with that is you require a store front. So I have three lawnmowers, a blower, a 2008 Jeep Wrangler with a hitch and a trailer. I am currently living in a new residential area with really house's and big lots. So i put two and two together and came up with GRASS CUTTING BUSINESS. But there are a few things that I want to do a little different. You have to be different in todays day and age.

I just am not sure where to start and I was hoping that with a partner that between the two of us we could get the ball rolling.

But I have to concerns about going it alone.

Steve
03-19-2009, 12:25 AM
But there are a few things that I want to do a little different. You have to be different in todays day and age.
What kinds of things do you want to do to stand out?

I just am not sure where to start and I was hoping that with a partner that between the two of us we could get the ball rolling.
Why not get some business cards made and start handing them out to friends, family and neighbors? That could get you started tomorrow. Or make some flyers and hand them out in your area? Post on craigslist and start taking calls and going out to estimate?

ritchiem
03-19-2009, 01:00 AM
Welcome to the forums...I am from Meaford, ON. But born and raised in Mississauga. You'll really need to set yourself apart from all of the mow and go guys down there that do not care about the properties they maintain.

Elite Maintenance
03-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Welcome, I don't frequent this Forum much but i have learned alot off it and read alot of great information.
I'm from Toronto, Ontario and i'm having a pretty good winter season. Started handing out flyer's a few weeks ago got some calls actually i have to go for some estimates in about 1 hour... Hopefully i'll have a good spring/summer season aswell.

Steve
03-19-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm from Toronto, Ontario and i'm having a pretty good winter season. Started handing out flyer's a few weeks ago got some calls actually i have to go for some estimates in about 1 hour... Hopefully i'll have a good spring/summer season aswell.

Elite,

Do you have some business start up advice you can suggest?

Elite Maintenance
03-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Well, I started working on my own recently. The only advice i can give is to be presistant money doesn't grow on tree's owning your own company is hard work if you want to make money. I take days out of the week to just go out and hand out flyers, talk to residents about the services i provide etc.