PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Lettering

picframer
03-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Well I finally have one of my trailers done, truck goes in Monday, weather here has been pretty poor and the shop that is doing this has their two bays full, so it depends on a good outside weather day.

The small trailer is one I picked up at an auction, it was brand new, has an electric dump, a trailer place had gone out of business, it was a really bad weather day, about 200 trailers and only 50 buyers, I bought this one and a 2 ton tow tandem hydraulic dump. I picked the one up in this image (chrome wheels) for $300.00 which is a fraction of what places around here sell them for.

Steve
03-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Oh that is fantastic!

What do you use the different trailers for?

Also, did you create what you wanted on the trailers or did the sign company advise you?

I really like how you show all the important information.

Name
Number
Services
Website

picframer
03-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks Steve,

I did all the wording, the sign company did suggest a few words be removed and I agreed, they also chose the colors, it's difficult to see in the image however the green has a white border/shadow, when the sun hits it, it's really cool. Karen (owns the sign shop and is a woodworking client of mine, artist on the side) does really nice work, she changed what I wanted to do to the truck, she is a keep it simple, not too many words, just get the prospects attention.

I stopped at the mail box outlet thing on the way home and two people made comments which was nice.

Now the different trailers, the Tandem in the image is for the three bigger tractors, the small dump trailer is for mulch or clean ups, I have a flatbeb that I use to haul lumber for decks etc. The Cargo trailer is in transit from the USA, it will be for mowers and lawn care, the Tandem dump trailer will be for small loads of top soil.

Andy

Steve
03-18-2009, 04:33 PM
That is fantastic!

the sign company did suggest a few words be removed and I agreed

I think this is something that happens quite a bit. We tend to try and put too much on a sign and then you can't read it.

What did you want that the sign company suggested you remove to keep it simpler?

picframer
03-18-2009, 05:28 PM
That is fantastic!

I think this is something that happens quite a bit. We tend to try and put too much on a sign and then you can't read it.

What did you want that the sign company suggested you remove to keep it simpler?

I had too many things that we can do, Snow removal, aeration, Driveway Grading, Trenching etc. She said, and having given it some thought, people are either going to call or more than likely go to your website, list your text there, all you want to do it catch the prospects attention and go from there.

I can hardly wait to see the Cargo trailer which will be done in mid April, she is suggesting some outstanding graphics, she said and is correct, pictures say a thousand words so keep the text short, simple and to the point, paint a picture for the prospect and everything else will fall into place.

Steve
03-18-2009, 06:13 PM
I had too many things that we can do, Snow removal, aeration, Driveway Grading, Trenching etc. She said, and having given it some thought, people are either going to call or more than likely go to your website, list your text there, all you want to do it catch the prospects attention and go from there.

It makes me think, if this should be tracked as well when customers call. Which service are they looking for? That way you can be sure to promote the most popular services that are asked for most! Instead of other services rarely asked for.

I can hardly wait to see the Cargo trailer which will be done in mid April,
Oh I can't wait to see it too! What kinds of pictures will you include?

picframer
03-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Oh I can't wait to see it too! What kinds of pictures will you include?

She said it is in her hands, she is going to do up the art work and let me see it next week, she said she will incorporate the company logo, but wants to add some equipment images and "other ideas" not sure what they are. She is an amazing artist on the side, has an eye for detail and colors.

justin_time
03-18-2009, 07:17 PM
I plan to do the same with my trailer pretty soon... I can't wait !

justin_time
06-03-2009, 05:02 PM
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280/jitys/P1000406.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280/jitys/P1000407.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280/jitys/P1000408.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280/jitys/P1000409.jpg

Steve
06-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Is that vinyl? That looks fantastic. You must be very pleased.

justin_time
06-03-2009, 08:37 PM
I think so.

I can't wait till my other 2 signs will be ready then i'll be :D :D :D

picframer
06-03-2009, 08:54 PM
I think so.

I can't wait till my other 2 signs will be ready then i'll be :D :D :D

That looks excellent!!! You will be amazed at how much business a lettered truck or trailer will bring in whether you are parked outside a ustomers or getting a coffee in the morning, I even got a job the other day filling up with gas.

justin_time
06-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Can't wait, almost look like yours. I like the fact it blends with the black trailer

ritchiem
06-03-2009, 09:11 PM
those look great guys! I should get mine done as well...I have my truck fully signed but not the trailer yet.

justin_time
06-03-2009, 09:16 PM
those look great guys! I should get mine done as well...I have my truck fully signed but not the trailer yet.

Thanks Richard, you should man, it makes people talk

justin_time
06-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Side ramp sign

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280/jitys/P1000410.jpg

Back ramp sign

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280/jitys/P1000411.jpg

justin_time
06-05-2009, 07:21 AM
Hopefully I'll install my signs today and I'll get some more pictures

wdcutter
06-06-2009, 08:33 AM
The trailers came out nice. Andy, what size trailers are you using for your tractors? I'm tossed between a similar style or a low profile dump with a ramp gate on it to use for both cleanups and hauling a compact tractor.
Then there's the issue of a compact tractor...

picframer
06-06-2009, 02:38 PM
The trailers came out nice. Andy, what size trailers are you using for your tractors? I'm tossed between a similar style or a low profile dump with a ramp gate on it to use for both cleanups and hauling a compact tractor.
Then there's the issue of a compact tractor...

For the four wheel drive tractors, ZTR and the excavator I have two tandem trailers that are 8 X 16

For the garden tractors I have two 6 X 12's, single axle, they are also used for whatever

I have a 6 X 12 tandem with brakes and electric dump

A 7 X 12 Tandem Cargo trailer for lawn gear

A 4 X 8 single axle for whatever

All the trailers have 15" wheels, I used Ford Rangers to pull the gear, all are Red, same year, two are four wheel drive.

I am about to buy three trucks, I will start a seperate post as I am looking for feedback.

justin_time
06-06-2009, 07:19 PM
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280/jitys/P1000412.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280/jitys/P1000413.jpg

SuperiorPower
06-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Justin your trailer turned out real nice if you ask me! I like it that you have a sign where ever it would hold one.

This has me thinking about what I can do to eventually get a vehicle and put a sign on it. But for now, I am rather busy with my current work load.

justin_time
06-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Justin your trailer turned out real nice if you ask me! I like it that you have a sign where ever it would hold one.

It's my new rolling billboard so I decided to do it since I could do it. It only cost me 110$ for signs/letters so it was worth it

SuperiorPower
06-06-2009, 09:58 PM
It's my new rolling billboard so I decided to do it since I could do it. It only cost me 110$ for signs/letters so it was worth it

Wow!! That is cheap advertisement!

My problem now is that I do not own a nice vehicle and don't have the $$$ to buy a nice vehicle. Because of my business name and the direction I want to take the business, I don't want to put my name on a rough looking vehicle. I just don't think that would look good to have a sign that says "Superior Power Equipment. Trust your equipment to us. After all, our first name is Superior" on a rough looking truck.......

Ahhh the pains of starting a business!!!!

justin_time
06-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Wow!! That is cheap advertisement!

My problem now is that I do not own a nice vehicle and don't have the $$$ to buy a nice vehicle. Because of my business name and the direction I want to take the business, I don't want to put my name on a rough looking vehicle. I just don't think that would look good to have a sign that says "Superior Power Equipment. Trust your equipment to us. After all, our first name is Superior" on a rough looking truck.......

Well that truck in that picture is not mine. It's currently my dad's truck but he can't drive due to a vision problem so I am using it for my lawn care business (I have been since I started) and I plan to get a bigger one.. sometime in the near future lol

Steve
06-06-2009, 11:45 PM
I don't want to put my name on a rough looking vehicle. I just don't think that would look good to have a sign that says "Superior Power Equipment. Trust your equipment to us. After all, our first name is Superior" on a rough looking truck.......

I can understand your view on this however I think in the start up phase I would just say screw it and do it. Then as you grow start fleshing out more the ideal image you want to project. I don't think people will be as critical about the specific business image that you want to project as you will be about yourself. We all tend to be our own worse critics.

picframer
06-07-2009, 04:46 AM
I can understand your view on this however I think in the start up phase I would just say screw it and do it. Then as you grow start fleshing out more the ideal image you want to project. I don't think people will be as critical about the specific business image that you want to project as you will be about yourself. We all tend to be our own worse critics.

Steve, this really depends on the target client one is going after based on the feedback I have received. Our company is after the upper middle class, high class customer, granted we will do work for just about anyone.

In a round about way I asked maybe 15 clients about vehicles, do you judge the potential service provider by what they drive, what they wear, tools they use etc. The feedback was as I suspected, the vehicle and dress reflect to them how well the company is doing, they said a company that has a good looking setup to them will do good work and that is the company they will hire.

I suspect to some degree it's an ego thing, they do not want a rough looking service vehicle/trailer etc parked in front of their home doing work on their property.

Personally I know this thought is not correct, I have taken many things to hole in the wall operations for repair as it was the best repair going, an old fellow years ago used to tune up my mower and chain saw every spring, it was a very sad looking operation, he was about 70 at the time and had been doing this all his life, his work was unmatched. There is a welding operation about 10 min from my house, same deal, the place is a disaster however their prices are great and their work excellent.

It's a tough call as one has to get their name out there and vehicle/trailer lettering is critical. I also hear very often from doing quotes "You must be a real company as you do not have magnetic signs" Actually I do at home for when I first started however I had never thought people would be critical of them, there are so many fly by night service guys out there people seem to be very careful, maybe it's a local thing, I am not sure.

Anyhow that has been my findings for what they are worth. It's like the fellow I mentioned a few months ago, neighbour that has a mini excavation business, his trailers and equipment look very tired, very capable of doing the work, he came over to the house last week in the evening wanting to borrow a sewer snake, seems everyone knows I have one, he saw the equipment in the yard which was only a portion of what we have as a lot of equipment stays on job sites or with employees, I knew by the expression it was eating him as he still hasn't had much work this year.

He returned the snake last night, he said looks like you are doing very well, my response was our company seems to have surpassed my goals and we are having fun. He said you know I have been thinking of selling my operation or joining another mini excavation company, we have known each other for years and I have done work for you, if you are interested we should sit down soon and have a serious talk. I said thanks Dave, I will think about it, at this stage we have grown more than I wanted to or expected to in the first year and would like to let things settle, I will give it some thought and I appreciate your considering me.

To be honest I have no desire to buy another company or join forces, It's hard enough managing the size we are at, and in Dave's case I would have to spend a few thousand to bring his equipment up to our standards, there has to be a reason he and a couple others I know are not getting work, I honestly do not know why.

Andy

swstout
06-07-2009, 07:54 AM
I have 2 nice looking well maintained Jeep Cherokee Lorados and 1 nice looking Ford Explorer that I have magnetic signs on. I have been watching the vinyl signs here on the forum. I have been checking around and have not found any local sources.

Has anyone received any from online sources? Can I purchase them and then apply them myself? The nearest source I can find is in Columbia - about an hour and a half drive.

Steve

arthur712
06-07-2009, 03:24 PM
I have 2 nice looking well maintained Jeep Cherokee Lorados and 1 nice looking Ford Explorer that I have magnetic signs on. I have been watching the vinyl signs here on the forum. I have been checking around and have not found any local sources.

Has anyone received any from online sources? Can I purchase them and then apply them myself? The nearest source I can find is in Columbia - about an hour and a half drive.

Steve

Steve, On my website I have a Prefered Vender Link and there will be a bunch of lettering and sign companies.

www.mytakecard.com

Thanx!
artie

picframer
06-07-2009, 07:24 PM

Steve

Steve, I had a local company do mine and it is quite a process, I watched the lady for 1/2 an hour and then left.

I have purchased Vinal decals from Ebay, just funny stuff that I stick on to get attention "Nothing Pulls Like A Deere", " Fear This John Deere " they went on ok, I used a blow dryer to heat them up to make them go on easier, the place I went to had a professional gun type thing.

Anyhow, there must be a place around you that does this, watch the coffee shops, first time to see a truck with lettering just ask the guy driving it or phone the company and ask them.

swstout
06-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Steve, I had a local company do mine and it is quite a process, I watched the lady for 1/2 an hour and then left.

I have purchased Vinal decals from Ebay, just funny stuff that I stick on to get attention "Nothing Pulls Like A Deere", " Fear This John Deere " they went on ok, I used a blow dryer to heat them up to make them go on easier, the place I went to had a professional gun type thing.

Anyhow, there must be a place around you that does this, watch the coffee shops, first time to see a truck with lettering just ask the guy driving it or phone the company and ask them.

I got this site from a new member.

http://doityourselflettering.com/ (http://doityourselflettering.com/)

$45.39 each - 3 lines - Company Name, Phone Number, and Web Site

Computer cut, Pre-Spaced with masking transfer tape on top.

Premium 3Mô Cast Vinyl

Install in one piece, then remove the transfer tape.

Vinyl Lettering Installation Instructions

Before you begin, be sure the surface you will be installing the vinyl lettering on has been thoroughly cleaned and dried.

STEP 1: With the backing still in place, align your lettering on top of the surface you want to install it on. Hold the lettering in place by securing it with masking tape along one of its edges.

STEP 2: Fold the lettering over along the edge of the masking tape that is holding it in place. Note that the lettering's exterior will now be facing you.

STEP 3: Remove the backing from the lettering, leaving the letters attached to the application tape.

STEP 4: Carefully flip the lettering back over and press it firmly into place, smoothing out any wrinkles that may arise.

STEP 5: Remove the application tape.

Seems simple enough. I know, famous last words!

I ordered 2 for my White Explorer green lettering with red border arched up.

For around $90.00 I can have a learning experiance.

For the black Jeeps - Green letering with white border.

Steve

SuperiorPower
06-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks guys. I think I have to agree with Andy. I personally believe that image is everything to the folks I am targeting. Like I said earlier, with my name being "Superior Power Equipment", that is what I plan to be. I am trying to portray the image from the start so I don't have to come along and change people's perspective of me and my business.

I may have to try to invest in a Jeep or something like that so I can have a good vehicle to put my name on.

Thanks guys,
Eli