PDA

View Full Version : Canada!

CHEESE2009
03-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Hey everyone. Hope all is well!

I've been working for a company that does lawn maintenance for awhile, & snow removal. I realized the benefit of doing everything I've been doing for myself is pretty decent.

I need the help from whoever is willing.

I started my own snow removal service on the side, & hooked 11 consistent customers. It's been hell, but I don't have work too often in the winter time, so it evens out. My customers love my work, I get everything other companies leave behind, etc.

Anyway, I haven't touched my income from the company I'm working for, I saved enough to get started on my own lawn service. I've been living off the money I've made on the side.

I get my last paycheck from the company I'm with currently, on the 27th of March.

My problem, well one of them: My current boss, is my next door neighbor. Now, he loves my work, my attitude & has given me power in the company. It's just that I don't make *enough* money. I told him I wont be staying for grass, but he says my spot will be reserved until the end of March.

Now hear me out. I have busted my butt making flyers, they are bilingual & offer referring gifts. I have been working on them for 4 & a half months perfecting them. I have had several people translate and they all came out with different bogus translations which frustrates me, scratch that, i'll get'er done.

I have used google earth to plan my flyer delivery run in an entire city I want to work in. I have zoomed in enough to write down EVERY street, and spent HOURS making the perfect 3 day route to deliver 7000 flyers.

Let's just say none of that really matters, I mean, where am I going to find a place to print 7000 flyers in color for cheap? All these new printers take 5 minutes to print one paper, they even jam. So I guess i'm going to search for an old school color printer from the 80's which I could feed 1 billion papers to with no problems.

THE QUESTION:

The company I work for: 12,399.84/year (disgusting, even as a crew leader)
vs
Starting my own company ???

Thank you for your time, I ranted quite a bit. I'm sure you have all been in my place at sometime and can understand.

CHEESE2009
03-16-2009, 11:40 AM
I have a Toro reserved for me the end of this month,

http://toro.com/intl/ca_en/professional/lce/wpm/pt21/22164.html

I have a deal for $939.00, another seller tried to get me to purchase for $1,500.00

I'm getting all my whippersnippers & blowers from STIHL.

I have backup w'snippers, & looking for a decent backup mower for my worker.

I have an open trailer on it's way, it's free :D

I also plan on using the same dump spot the company I work for uses, they use 2 actually.

$300/ month vs Free.. I'm going for the freebie...

********- I'm in the city of competition, my neighbor owns a powerful company which I work for, and around the block is an extremely well known powerful company which will apparently blow me up if I advertise in the same city.

I'm going to park my trailer at my girlfriends fathers, who lives pretty close, but far enough to sneak around without breaking the ice that I totally went rogue against the company I work for. It's heartbreaking, love the guys, wish they paid more!!!:o

... I also have company hats! Expensive little things!

justin_time
03-16-2009, 11:42 AM
What part of Canada are you located ?

CHEESE2009
03-16-2009, 11:50 AM
What part of Canada are you located ?

To be honest I'm nervous to say, haha!

Montreal!

We get the most random customers here. Some offer awesome beverages, and some offer pre-opened bottled water which creeps me out. My girlfriend is ticked that some customers who happen to be female call me way to often for odd jobs, like gutters and weeding, it's great for business. Anyone ever have this complication with cougars?

justin_time
03-16-2009, 11:54 AM
So does this mean your a Habs fan ?

CHEESE2009
03-16-2009, 12:05 PM
So does this mean your a Habs fan ?

Haha! I'm going to get my butt beat because I gotta say I don't watch hockey.

I'm either with the woman, doing odd jobs, or pretending to be busy & important.

Check out my pics, I uploaded them just now. Shows what I use & currently have! Feedback is great!

justin_time
03-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Check out my pics, I uploaded them just now. Shows what I use & currently have! Feedback is great!

That's all good, where are the pics tough ?

CHEESE2009
03-16-2009, 12:37 PM
That's all good, where are the pics tough ?

Apparently there in my album, I'm just getting fitted to the site so I have no clue how it all works yet.

I guess, click my name & on the right you'll see 1 of 5 of my pictures.

Hope that helps!

Steve
03-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Welcome to our forum!

THE QUESTION:

The company I work for: 12,399.84/year (disgusting, even as a crew leader)
vs
Starting my own company ???

Well it seems you want to start your own business and based on that, I think you should! Heck I bet the other local lawn care business owners could sub you out work if they get too busy!

When are you going to get started?

Canuckbass
03-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Go for it, competition is healthy, it keeps everyone doing their best. Don't worry about the other guys and park in your own driveway. Montreal is a huge city, lots of room for more companies. If your boss wants you, give him the salary that you would be happy making, if he does not match it... Walk. He makes alot off your hard work, it'll cost him more in training a new person, trusting a new person etc...

Little's
03-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Dont be afraid to give your competition a run for their customers. They may try to bad mouth you at first, but trust me a LOT of people are more comfortable hiring the small guy down the street than the big company that just sees their customers as a number. You'll do fine.

CHEESE2009
03-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Welcome to our forum!

Well it seems you want to start your own business and based on that, I think you should! Heck I bet the other local lawn care business owners could sub you out work if they get too busy!

When are you going to get started?

I'm going to drop off flyers at the end of March/start of April.
I've trained workers before, so I'm hiring my friends little brother and hoping he works out alright. I hired him for snow removal & I wasn't too impressed. I hope he is able to learn fast so we don't have any issues with the customers. It's tough for them to remember simple things like emptying the mower bag, or to not to ram the mower up hills destroying the grass.

Apparently he's cut his lawn a few times, but that doesn't give me enough detail. I see people cutting grass in the most insane ways. The worst is this company I saw, they had 5 guys with mowers doing the front of a lawn. I went to the bank, went to grab some lunch. Can you believe they were still on the front lawn for 40 or so minutes? One guy was cutting in an X formation, one was making circles, the others were cutting over what they already cut. I don't think a crew should only consist of 2 workers, 5 is ridiculous.

The only problem I should encounter would be a customer ticked off because I can't speak French. ...And maybe a few parking tickets lol.

Other than that, I am hoping for the best! :D

justin_time
03-17-2009, 01:10 AM
The only problem I should encounter would be a customer ticked off because I can't speak French. ...And maybe a few parking tickets lol.

Other than that, I am hoping for the best! :D

I am from Ontario and I speak french, what's wrong with you :p

CHEESE2009
03-17-2009, 01:19 AM
I am from Ontario and I speak french, what's wrong with you :p

hahaha! Now you know why I'm in the business!

My elementary school french teacher decided to teach music instead of french, it's sad. Then I lived in the states for a bit, came back for high school. They expected me to know my basics, which is where everything went crazy. I couldn't keep up with the class. So I did a few years of high school, gave up & worked a few years, went for a high school equivalency test & I passed it. I've been working from when I was 15 years old, I'll be 21 in May.

I cut grass, worked as a medicine stock clerk, renovations, I was a breakfast cook at restaurant, then I cut grass again, & will for the rest of my life!

What's neat is doing snow removal, some of my customers are also business owners. I got a guy who installs wood floors, an electrician, ... a taxi driver...

It's nice to have these connections, we can trade services etc.

picframer
03-17-2009, 04:26 AM
Welcome!

Spent a lot of time in your Province as a teenager and in my banking days, not sure where you are in Quebec but you are in a very concentrated area and should do well.

As for printing flyers, may I suggest Vista print, I have used them a lot, can't beat their prices, quality is excellent and I seem to think the quality of the flyer really appeals to some people, depending on the market you are going after.

Good luck and all the best!

Andy