PDA

View Full Version : Guns Guns Guns

lawn-guy
03-16-2009, 02:40 AM
Who here shoots and or carries?
What do you carry?
Do you carry on the job?
Ever had to use or pull?

I my self was raised in a very pro firearm family and have had and been around guns for as long as i can remember
i personally carry a glock 19 or a h&k usp compact 45 thankfully i have never had to use but i believe it is better to have and not need than need and not have
i also am a avid hunter (deer turkey coyote bobcat geese etc.)

Steve
03-16-2009, 05:25 AM
With this title, I thought it might be about guns LOL.

How is your state as far as firearms go? What do you have to do to get a permit to carry?

musician/lawnman
03-16-2009, 08:48 AM
I have been shooting since I was very young, I was always taught to respect guns, I knew as a kid where they were in the house & I knew not to touch them without my father around. I think kids who find guns in the home but have not been taught about them are the ones that you read about in the papers. They don't understand it's power & think it's a toy. For that I blame the parents.

I was a pretty damn good shot by about 5 or 6.

I have a couple rifles & a Ruger 9mm semi auto pistol. I've never had to use it in a self defence situation, but I would not hesitate to do so especially if someone came into my home.

The pistol is just a protection weapon. As a matter of fact when I hit the range with it I don't ever take my time to line up on a target for accuracy. I hold it down, pick it up & run rapid 4 round bursts & try for a tight group in center body mass. I figure & train to put 4 in the dumb punk who tries to enter my home & endanger my family. I'll ask questions later.

swstout
03-16-2009, 09:18 AM
With this title, I thought it might be about guns LOL.

How is your state as far as firearms go? What do you have to do to get a permit to carry?

Currently, no permit is required to own/carry a non-concealed handgun other than age (21) unless you have a criminal record.

South Carolina Carry/Conceal Pistol Permit
Eligibility: The applicant must:
1. be lawfully present in the United States;
2. not be a nonimmigrant alien;
3. not be prohibited by federal, state or local law from possessing firearms;
4. be a resident of South Carolina (residing permanently in SC or presently in SC with intent to become a permanent resident); a qualified non-resident who owns real property in South Carolina, but resides in another state; or military personnel in SC on permanent change of station orders;
5. be at least 21 years old;
6. have completed, within the last 3 years, a minimum 8-hour training course presented by a SLED-certified CWP instructor which must have covered the following topics: (a) statutory and case law of SC relating to handguns and use of deadly force; (b) handgun use and safety; (c) proper storage practices for handguns that reduce possibility of accidental injury to children; and (d) actual firing of the handgun in the presence of the instructor; ($175.00)and
7. have a favorable background.
8. Must be renewed annually (50.00).

I have had an NY State carry/conceal permit for over 35 years. It took about 6 months to get from start to finish. My NY permit is legal for life as long as I have no felonies. New NY permits are good only for 1 year and must be renewed annually (I think the cost is $250.00 per year).

I have a .40 caliber S&W Sigma LE and a Sig .40 caliber. I have a SC carry/conceal permit but do not carried concealed or otherwise . I have it “just in case” security issues warrant it (such as a terrorist situation).

Steve

swstout
03-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Currently, no permit is required to own/carry a non-concealed handgun other than age (21) unless you have a criminal record.

South Carolina Carry/Conceal Pistol Permit
Eligibility: The applicant must:
1. be lawfully present in the United States;
2. not be a nonimmigrant alien;
3. not be prohibited by federal, state or local law from possessing firearms;
4. be a resident of South Carolina (residing permanently in SC or presently in SC with intent to become a permanent resident); a qualified non-resident who owns real property in South Carolina, but resides in another state; or military personnel in SC on permanent change of station orders;
5. be at least 21 years old;
6. have completed, within the last 3 years, a minimum 8-hour training course presented by a SLED-certified CWP instructor which must have covered the following topics: (a) statutory and case law of SC relating to handguns and use of deadly force; (b) handgun use and safety; (c) proper storage practices for handguns that reduce possibility of accidental injury to children; and (d) actual firing of the handgun in the presence of the instructor; ($175.00)and
7. have a favorable background.
8. Must be renewed annually (50.00).

I have had an NY State carry/conceal permit for over 35 years. It took about 6 months to get from start to finish. My NY permit is legal for life as long as I have no felonies. New NY permits are good only for 1 year and must be renewed annually (I think the cost is $250.00 per year).

I have a .40 caliber S&W Sigma LE and a Sig .40 caliber. I have a SC carry/conceal permit but do not carried concealed or otherwise . I have it “just in case” security issues warrant it (such as a terrorist situation).

Steve

Just on the news - Trial starts today for a shooting involved home invasion. Elderly man shot in home invasion. 2 suspects shot by man's 83 year old wife. 18 and 20 year old gang involved suspects suspects linked to three other home invasions.

This house was only 2 blocks from my house!

Gun and ammunition sales show marked increase here locally. The trial is expected to be a short one.

lawn-guy
03-16-2009, 01:13 PM
here in va. it is fairly easy to get a concealed weapon permit

show proof of firearms education-(hunt safety course,concealed carry course or military)
got to local court house fill out app pay 50.00 and they either have to give u the permit or a reason why u were denied within 30 days

Little's
03-16-2009, 02:06 PM
I hunt a lot. Turkey, deer, squirrel, etc. I have several guns (6) but I dont feel the need to carry one. I just sold my pistol. I keep my rifles locked up in my gun cabinet.

My kids have guns too, and know how to use them very well. I have always taught them the safe way to handle them. I let them shoot whenever they want to, so they naturally dont have the urge to "check them out" when dads not home. I have a theory that it is the kids who are kept away from them that end up looking for them and having accidents when no one is home.

justin_time
03-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Doesn't apply here in Canada

musician/lawnman
03-16-2009, 10:35 PM
I have a theory that it is the kids who are kept away from them that end up looking for them and having accidents when no one is home.

That's what I'm sayin' man!
Education & respect avoids these accidents

SuperiorPower
03-18-2009, 10:03 PM
7mm mag, .270, SKS, .22, 2 muzzies, 2 .40 glocks, .38 special revolver, keltec .380, and an older revolver chambered for the almost obsolete .38 smith and wesson. I have a glock securely attached to my hip at all times.....