PDA

View Full Version : Wright Stander $2400 more than Great Dane Surfer

turfbuilder
03-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Guys and Gals,

Do you think the extra $2400 for a wright Stander vs. Great Dane surfer is justified? Are Wrights that much better?

turfbuilder

Steve
03-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Have you gotten a chance to try them both out?

So far I have seen more votes for the Wright than the great Dane. Check out the votes here in the Gopher Store (http://www.gopherforum.com/index.php?pageid=gopherhaul-lawn-care-business-store&CategoryID=4&CategoryName=Mower%20-%20Ride%20On).

musician/lawnman
03-13-2009, 08:39 PM
The super surfer (at first) was nearly a carbon copy of the model wright was then producing. There was serious patent infringment lawsuit in which Dane lost. I'm sure there were other financial penalties but Wright basically enforced their patent & Dane had to redesign their model. Moving Specs as far as the distance from the deck to the back wheels, where the operator stands in relation to the zero turn center. It for one makes the Dane less agile & harder to use. Also Dane as a brand has been bought & sold several times (4 or 5 I believe) so there seems to be a (from what I've heard) problems with warranty coverage. The current parent company doesn't want to warranty models made prior to their purchasing the line due to old manufacturer & design defects. The Old parent companie(s) have washed their hands of them. So some owners are are just SOL. I don't know if they'll sell again but I didn't want to take that chance. I bought a Wright. It a great machine & I will be buying more. Besides they invented the stand on concept. It's like a jeep wrangler, they been doing it for so long that they've got it down. There are immitators but you & I know a suzuki can't perform like a jeep does. If it could there would be more susukis off road & in rock crawling competitions. Just my opinion.

turfbuilder
03-14-2009, 04:04 AM
My buddy has a Wright which I did Demo. The Great Dane that I am buying I could only demo inside at the dealer because of the snow outside. I feel that the Wright is a little easier to handle however the price swayed me over to the Dane. I 'm getting a brand new 2007 52 inch with a 19hp Kawasaki for $3795.00
with 2 year serviceable warranty.
You can't touch a walk behind for that. A 2009 Great Dane is about $5100.00
A 2009 Wright Stander is $7200 to $7400. My heart is with the Stander but my
business instincts told me not to pass this deal up. I appreciate everyones opinion. Thanx
Turf:)

musician/lawnman
03-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah I saw, I mean I read your duplicate post on lawnchat.com.
Nice pics by the way.
I understand I suppose, for me the deciding factor was both that there seemed to be Dane warranty issues & 2 that the dealer I use for everything else carries & services the wright mowers. I found that beeing loyal to one shop makes for much faster turn around on repairs. The local lesco/john deer supply house sells the Dane mowers, but the have no repair facility for them. The nearest repair shop for them at the time was I think an hour or more away, so I decided against dealing with that altogether.