PDA

View Full Version : Mulch & Top Soil

picframer
03-09-2009, 04:55 AM
I am curious what you folks do when you need top soil/mulch at a job site, do you have it delivered or do you pick it up? If you pick it up do you try and have more than one property to do in the area?

I believe this is a two fold question, if it were a new lawn I would personally have it delivered, if it is just refreshing a bed or fixing low areas of a lawn it would seem better to get the product yourself. I think the advantage to getting it yourself is less clean up mess, ie transport from the trailer to the bed or lawn rather than having to clean a driveway where the product may have been dumped.

If you do pick it up, what type of trailer are you using? I have a trailer with sides and a dump, I will have to get a cover made as the laws here are any product being transported has to be covered and they watch this like a hawk.

Thanks
Andy

swstout
03-09-2009, 05:33 AM
I am curious what you folks do when you need top soil/mulch at a job site, do you have it delivered or do you pick it up? If you pick it up do you try and have more than one property to do in the area?

I believe this is a two fold question, if it were a new lawn I would personally have it delivered, if it is just refreshing a bed or fixing low areas of a lawn it would seem better to get the product yourself. I think the advantage to getting it yourself is less clean up mess, ie transport from the trailer to the bed or lawn rather than having to clean a driveway where the product may have been dumped.

If you do pick it up, what type of trailer are you using? I have a trailer with sides and a dump, I will have to get a cover made as the laws here are any product being transported has to be covered and they watch this like a hawk.

Thanks
Andy

Hard to tell. On March 2nd I got a quote for a truck load of 17-19 yards top soil of $175. On March 7th they called me with a quote of $125. Delivery charge both times was $75. So My cost went from $250 to $200. I dropped my quote by $75 and still didn't get a contract! They told me, if I dropped my bid by $500 I could get the job. If I did that, I would only be making about $30 per hour if everything went as planned. I figured my labor to get it myself I could only save a few dollars. If it was a small job, maybe it would be worth it.

I decided to pass on the job. Told them I wished them the best and withdrew my bid!

Steve

swstout
03-09-2009, 05:49 AM
I give myself a $500 per week salary only after I pay my regular business bills (insurance, advertising,taxes, etc.). Overage, goes for advancement, new equipment, advertising, investments. I need $50 per hour to meet my goals!

The economy is terrible (over 9% unemployment here) with living expenses increasing. Taking contracts that earn me less than $50 per hour will sink me!

Steve

Steve
03-09-2009, 08:33 AM
On March 2nd I got a quote for a truck load of 17-19 yards top soil of $175. On March 7th they called me with a quote of $125.

Why did they call and lower the price? Were they just really trying to sell it? Or what was going on?

picframer
03-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Why did they call and lower the price? Were they just really trying to sell it? Or what was going on?

I would be interested also, just on a side note a 19 yard load of top soil is $452.00 with tax delivered here in Halifax, a little over 1/3 is delivery. Not sure what mulch is going for, last year it was $32.00 a yard.

A Hurricane passed through here 5 or 6 years ago, they mulched 10,000 truck loads (tractor trailer) and dumped it very close to where I live, the owner of the land told me I could have all I want and it looks awsome, the city would not allow it to be sold as it would have hurt business's in this business, doesn't make sense why they didn't give it to these companies. I wrote an article for the local newspaper as they chipped enough old growth hardwood to heat well over 20,000 homes for a season, just a waste.

swstout
03-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Supply outpaced demand. They went a week with no sales. I read in the paper this morning that they had layed off 10 employees, almost half of the workforce!

Steve

maizenblue301
03-09-2009, 01:22 PM
If I only need 3-4 yards or less, I will pick it up myself. But anything more than that I have delivered. I buy my mulch from the co-op store in town, they are about $12 cheaper per yard and delivery is only $25. I have a job coming up next week that I am having 12 yards delivered. $263 for mulch and delivery! Not bad if you ask me!

outerelements
03-09-2009, 02:20 PM
I give myself a $500 per week salary only after I pay my regular business bills (insurance, advertising,taxes, etc.). Overage, goes for advancement, new equipment, advertising, investments. I need $50 per hour to meet my goals!

The economy is terrible (over 9% unemployment here) with living expenses increasing. Taking contracts that earn me less than $50 per hour will sink me!

Steve

Good way to budget it. I have thinking about what I intend to pay myself this year (after ALL expenses are covered).

Steve
03-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Good way to budget it. I have thinking about what I intend to pay myself this year (after ALL expenses are covered).

We had a discussion on this a little while back. One of our forum members said he paid himself first before he paid any of his other expenses.

What's your thoughts on that?

swstout
03-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Well, if he has to do that, he is headed for trouble. I pay all bills first, then take what's left up to $500/week for my salary. Sometimes I could get $200 one week and $800 the next but never more than a running total of $500 weekly. I have 5 months living expenses in savings so it is not a problem for me financially.

This way, I can (theoretically) continue to pay myself in the winter. I don't want to run too close to the vest at any rate.

Steve

jimlewis
03-10-2009, 05:06 AM
There are several factors that determine whether we pick up or get delivery.

First, delivery is always best. The question is; is it affordable. If you can get it delivered, this obvious saves you a lot of gas, drivetime, labor, etc. So obviously this is the most desirable.

Around here, if you are just getting a few yards, it's much less expensive to just pick it up yourself. Hardly anyone will deliver anything less than 1 unit (7.5 yards) of product. I do have one company who will do small deliveries for us without charging an arm and a leg. So if they are available, I'll use them every time. But otherwise, we usually pick up anything 3 yards or less.

Some supply yards will deliver small loads without much delivery fee if the delivery address is REALLY close to their yard. I have to talk them into it. But sometimes they'll do it.

For anything 4 yards or more, we always just have it delivered. Our dual axle trailer could probably haul 4 or 5 yards, depending on the product. But it's just too much work and too much strain on our pickup and trailer. Not to mention, it starts to become more affordable.

We don't have a dump on our trucks or trailers. Wish we did. One of my employees owns a nice dual axle dump trailer. So when needed, I rent it from him for the day. But those things are dang expensive around here. $5,000 or more. It's not worth it to me. Especially since I can just get it delivered for a $25 or $50 fee.