PDA

View Full Version : Flyers with response

allstarlawns
03-05-2009, 04:39 PM
I've put out approx. 1500 flyers and have only had 1, maybe 2 calls. I'm offering a month free with an annual agreement and have put a list of all the things we do on the flyer. What is going on? Anybody have any luck with magnetic business cards on mailboxes? I'm getting ready to try that.

lawnsalonforyou
03-05-2009, 05:03 PM
WOW!! A month free?!?!?! That's crazy! One because people aren't calling and two that you would offer that! LOL:p

Keep your head up the business will come!! I normally get 1% to 2% call backs on fliers. Even though I'm just starting too out I think that's the norm? My only suggestion would be this...and it might sound crazy so hang in there with me.

If it seems that most people are only getting a 1% to 2% call back on fliers...maybe we should put out less fliers at a time BUT put them out more often???

I started putting fliers out the middle of Jan and I went out 4 times(once each weekend) I put out between 200 and 300 fliers each time(about a large subdivision worth), but I got about 1 to 2 calls each time. All that said I got 9 customers from that, and I only put out around 1000 fliers. I'm up to 13 customers so far the rest I got from referrals.

Just a thought?!?! Let me know how the magnets worked...sounds like a good but maybe expensive idea! :-) GOOD LUCK!

p.s. I tried to attach the fliers but it wouldn't let me for some reason...if you want to see what I used I'll email them to ya!

EasyPro
03-05-2009, 05:09 PM
WOW!! A month free?!?!?! That's crazy! One because people aren't calling and two that you would offer that! LOL:p

Keep your head up the business will come!! I normally get 1% to 2% call backs on fliers. Even though I'm just starting too out I think that's the norm? My only suggestion would be this...and it might sound crazy so hang in there with me.

If it seems that most people are only getting a 1% to 2% call back on fliers...maybe we should put out less fliers at a time BUT put them out more often???

I started putting fliers out the middle of Jan and I went out 4 times(once each weekend) I put out between 200 and 300 fliers each time(about a large subdivision worth), but I got about 1 to 2 calls each time. All that said I got 9 customers from that, and I only put out around 1000 fliers. I'm up to 13 customers so far the rest I got from referrals.

Just a thought?!?! Let me know how the magnets worked...sounds like a good but maybe expensive idea! :-) GOOD LUCK!

p.s. I tried to attach the fliers but it wouldn't let me for some reason...if you want to see what I used I'll email them to ya!

That is not crazy that is basic rules of direct mailing . . . PEOPLE RESEARCH!!!! also stop discounting quality!!!!!

Steve
03-05-2009, 07:18 PM
A lot of it could be timing.

Tianna, do you hit the same households multiple times or just once?

lawnsalonforyou
03-06-2009, 08:50 AM
I hit up different neighborhoods. I do however plan on going back to those same neighborhoods though out this weekend actually! lol Its going to be 80 degrees!!:D

I put a halt on my marketing for the past few weeks. I needed to get organized and make sure I had my crap together "paper work" wise and I am also participating in a Women's Conference here at Ft. Benning here where I live. Its a sold out event and there will be 300 people there and about 20 vendors. So I've been prepping for that. Since the majority of the guest will be women at the conference I had gift certificates printed good for one lawn service. I figured that would be a good gift to give there husbands...fathers day is coming up...or even themselves...a lot of units are deployed right now so that means no husband to cut the yard. I put the price of $45 on there and will have one displayed at the table...that gives me a little wiggle room...just in case I may need to take 10% off.

I also think I put a halt on marketing because I spooked myself! lol I'm getting nervous about handling all my clients on my own. I don't think we are ready to hire anyone...and my husband being a Ranger in the Army...his schedule changes all the time! lol Our lawn season starts next week!! So I hope I'll feel much better after next week and taking care of all my clients. Then I'll know if I can handle it on my own....or I need to hire someone. Wish me luck!!

outerelements
03-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Im pushing out about 2000 fliers a week. There are so many neighborhoods where I am at that even at the rate, I wont be able to get everyone in my coverage area. Interestingly enough, my only new business lately has come from a yard sign I placed at a busy off-ramp on a major highway coming out of Philiadelphia... give that a shot!

Outer Elements Lawn & Landscape
Bethlehem, PA
www.outerelementspa.com

justin_time
03-06-2009, 02:10 PM
You can't just sit there at the phone waiting for people to call, ive got people that called me last summer to to a fall cleanup and they originally had my 1st flier from when i started my business in 2006. Some people/customers actually take your flier and think about it

Steve
03-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Im pushing out about 2000 fliers a week. There are so many neighborhoods where I am at that even at the rate, I wont be able to get everyone in my coverage area. Interestingly enough, my only new business lately has come from a yard sign I placed at a busy off-ramp on a major highway coming out of Philiadelphia... give that a shot!

Are you hitting each house once or do you go back and hit them multiple times?

outerelements
03-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Yes, only 1 time each- its just not physically possible to hit a house a second or third time. Although, i've been thinking about hiring someone to also help me distribute them out. The only problem with that is all my fliers have different prices on them. I put them accordingly on houses which I would charge that specific amount- Clearly, I either need to change my template or hire someone with a lawn care background..something to ponder I guess.....

Steve
03-06-2009, 09:00 PM
The only problem with that is all my fliers have different prices on them.

Oh that is very interesting! Do the property sizes in your area vary much? How much do the price ranges vary?

EasyPro
03-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Yes, only 1 time each- its just not physically possible to hit a house a second or third time. Although, i've been thinking about hiring someone to also help me distribute them out. The only problem with that is all my fliers have different prices on them. I put them accordingly on houses which I would charge that specific amount- Clearly, I either need to change my template or hire someone with a lawn care background..something to ponder I guess.....

Here is your solution . . .

Stop advertising price you could be scaring potential customers away that you could up sell
multiple exposures are the only way to do direct mailing
example for number tow - husband gets my flier says ah yes the house is dirty door bell rings he sits the flier down. its those jack leg yahoos trying to sell meat out of the truck NO THANKS comes back to the couch and looks for the ad ? oh well lets ee whats on tv
****while at the door the wife comes thru cleaning and in the trash your flyer goes**** BYE BYE EasyPro
next week he gets another "oh thats the company i needed to clean my house *ring ring* "Thank you for calling EasyPro how can i make your life easier"
the rest is history!!!!

MULTIPLE EXPOSURE IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO TRUST ME . . .. Find a nice little mailing list (these are adresses so you can go door 2 door as well) of around 1k and nail the hell out of them

PLEASE TAKE THIS ADVICE IT WORKS!!!!!

Don't believe me? google direct mail marketing and read some articles they will all say you needto do 4 -7 mailings to get full results

Steve
03-06-2009, 11:13 PM
MULTIPLE EXPOSURE IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO TRUST ME . . .. Find a nice little mailing list

DJ,

For a new lawn care business just starting out, how big of a mailing list should they get? How many people on them?

outerelements
03-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Oh that is very interesting! Do the property sizes in your area vary much? How much do the price ranges vary?

Yes, for example, I could have a $35.00/cut house sitting right next to a $20.00.cut house.

There are however where there are neighborhoods where every house would be a $35/cut, but that is not often the case.

outerelements
03-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Here is your solution . . .

Stop advertising price you could be scaring potential customers away that you could up sell
multiple exposures are the only way to do direct mailing
example for number tow - husband gets my flier says ah yes the house is dirty door bell rings he sits the flier down. its those jack leg yahoos trying to sell meat out of the truck NO THANKS comes back to the couch and looks for the ad ? oh well lets ee whats on tv
****while at the door the wife comes thru cleaning and in the trash your flyer goes**** BYE BYE EasyPro
next week he gets another "oh thats the company i needed to clean my house *ring ring* "Thank you for calling EasyPro how can i make your life easier"
the rest is history!!!!

MULTIPLE EXPOSURE IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO TRUST ME . . .. Find a nice little mailing list (these are adresses so you can go door 2 door as well) of around 1k and nail the hell out of them

PLEASE TAKE THIS ADVICE IT WORKS!!!!!

Don't believe me? google direct mail marketing and read some articles they will all say you needto do 4 -7 mailings to get full results

Thanks for the advice! Ive been thinking for weeks now whether or not to include a price on my flyer. Generally, I post fliers out at night; I rarely ever get a good view of the backyard, so I just estimate or "guesstimate" in my case.

Steve
03-07-2009, 09:48 PM
So what might you try to do differently now?

outerelements
03-08-2009, 08:32 AM
So what might you try to do differently now?

I created a new flyer with a template that I think I found on this site. There are 2 on a page, so I get them printed out at Staples- $11.25 for 150 copies, which gives me 300 fliers. They cut them in half for an extra 2 bucks.

Ill let you know how this one works out

See attached.

Steve
03-08-2009, 09:55 PM
That is great! What kind of senior discount do you suggest using?

CustomClox
04-28-2009, 01:03 PM
I can do custom mailbox magnets should anyone be interested. They're $2.00 each and they're 1.75" round. (I sell minimum 10 at a time and my price INCLUDES shipping to you) I wouldn't just give to anyone, (because that would be very expensive) but they would be nice, say after you've chatted with a potential customer and then you DO get their business, you hand them one to put on their refrigerator!

Send me a note to mike@customclox.com and I'd be happy to show you a free preview with your information!

Thanks and to everyone, have a great season! I know I'm already busier than ever! "What recession?!"

Mike

Steve
04-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Mike why not show off some of what you can do! Do you have any pictures of what you have created?

VPS Lawn Care
04-29-2009, 08:40 AM
A few things i have found to work:
1) Keep it simple, none cluttered

2) Be Repetitive with the people you hit[LIST]
Choose the area that you want to hit, then divide it in to 4 sections, then hit each section each week till you hit them all, then start over again at the first one. every time they see a flyer of yours you are etching a small spot in there memory, then when they do think about needeing someone, you pop into there head, like a habit.
3) give them a reason to act, but dont give any exact prices, leave them wanting to call for a quote.
4) If you have a web site by all means leave the address on the flyer, let it do even more selling for you, pusing them to call, gives them the feeling , ok they are not a fly by nite co. "mow for beer money" (to quote Chuck) operation
5) Understand this above all, it takes hard work, and nothing worth while happens over night, it takes time.

Follow these simple guidlines and they will come, and Justin is right, some people are pack rats, i got my 1st new annual agreement this season from a flyer i put out last May, the guy said he was cleaning off his desk and found it and gave me a call.
the more you hit the same areas with flyers and mailing, door hangers the better off you are, you will build tight clusters of clients and actually be able to use the cluster section of the Gopher software....lol...any way, hope this helps good luck, and stay on the grass