PDA

View Full Version : Troy Bilt Equipment

sasquatchmonk
03-05-2009, 04:39 AM
I bought a troy bilt backpack blower and weed wacker, has anyone ever used this brand? I like it because it was american made and the trimmer had multiple attachments i could buy, but thats just me....just wondering if anybody was pleased with the output of these items.

Steve
03-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Hi Monk,

Are they still American made? I know they used to be but I thought the company was sold a little while back. Anyone have any insight into this?

swstout
03-05-2009, 08:00 PM
I have the Troy Built string trimmer with various attachments. I have the blower, the tiller, the hedge trimmer, and the chainsaw. I bought them used at a foreclosed home lawn sale. I have the one with the curved pole and tried a friends with the straight pole. I like his better! They do the job and will do until I can get more professional equipment.

I have not financed any of my equipment or tools and will not. I pay myself and bills 1st and then get new equipment with cash. I keep what equipment I have clean and well maintained and looking professional. I see too many people going broke with the best equipment.

Steve

SuperiorPower
03-06-2009, 06:23 PM
\I have the one with the curved pole and tried a friends with the straight pole. I like his better! They do the job and will do until I can get more professional equipment.

If you go looking for a new trimmer, buy a straight shaft trimmer. They are more durable and tend to be balanced better. Durability is partly because of the nature of the design, but also because they are typically used by professionals and thus are designed to be used by professionals.

When you do buy new, I would recommend buying something more professional (better quality) than Troy Bilt. I understand you may have to buy lesser quality to start with to keep your expenses low. I think there is another argument to be made and that is buy good first so you don't have to buy equipment twice.

\ I keep what equipment I have clean and well maintained and looking professional. I see too many people going broke with the best equipment.

Two points:

1) Well maintained equipment stays in service longer.

2) Customers don't want to see poorly maintained and "junky" looking equipment on their property. Well maintained equipment spells professionalism....

3)This is a good argument for not buying the best equipment up front unless you are independantly wealthy. But if you find yourself in possession of top of the line equipment, take the time to maintain it.

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
03-07-2009, 08:40 AM
First off I would skip all of the big box store brands brands When I look back at it.
I got a lot of the hand helds from them and None of it lasted for a year !!!!!!!
So all the money that I spent on that Home owner items was a wast of money.
I think MTD bought out troy built last year!!

SuperiorPower
03-07-2009, 12:57 PM
First off I would skip all of the big box store brands brands When I look back at it.
I got a lot of the hand helds from them and None of it lasted for a year !!!!!!!
So all the money that I spent on that Home owner items was a wast of money.
I think MTD bought out troy built last year!!

Box store=no service network. This is basically a true statement. If you buy from a box store they cater to the consumer who cares for only one yard and wants to buy a new product every year. Plus there is normally absolutely no in house service available. This means that once you have bought the item, and it needs to be serviced, you have to now go find a shop that is willing to service it. I am about to implement a rule of not servicing any weed eater products except maybe mowers.....

and you are correct, MTD bought Troy Bilt. here is a direct quote from their website The MTD family of brands include Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, Yard-Man, Yard Machines, Bolens, McCulloch and White Outdoor while the Cub Cadet Commercial brand is targeted to the commercial industry' needs.

And in my opinion their quality is going to suffer as a result.....