PDA

View Full Version : Need Mulch help!!!

usmcman001
03-04-2009, 01:52 PM
I have a customer who wants 12 yds of shredded hardwood mulch but when I have called around everyone has no idea what im talking about. They say they only have shredded cypress mulch which is a hardwood but I cant find any knowledge on this or where to get it. Im in West Florida

swstout
03-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Ace Hardware carries a heavier mulch than the standard Cyprus mulch. It is less likely to wash away, fades less, and does not attract insects.

The mulch we use is:
Made of coconut husk, which is all natural
Fights drought as it holds 5 times its weight of water and will not float away in heavy rain
It will not fade and hold its color for up to 3 years
Has a pleasant aromatic natural scent
Will not mildew or attract bugs, slugs or termites (most wood and bark mulches do)

Steve

Steve
03-05-2009, 06:44 PM
How did this job work out so far?

usmcman001
03-05-2009, 07:15 PM
I have made an agreement with the customer to do 12 yards of cypress mulch first, then I will do the back at a later time. I am charging $35.00 a yard to lay it which I think is fair enough. I am going to be doing his lawn maintence also which will be $200.00 a month and three other home owners want estimates as well. Their yards are as bid or bigger. So I think I just landed a great gig on one street 2 minutes from the house!!! Thanks for everyones help with everything so far.

picframer
03-05-2009, 08:07 PM
I have a customer who wants 12 yds of shredded hardwood mulch but when I have called around everyone has no idea what im talking about. They say they only have shredded cypress mulch which is a hardwood but I cant find any knowledge on this or where to get it. Im in West Florida

Not that it matters, American Cypress is actually a conifor (Softwood), unlike most American softwoods they are a deciduos tree that sheds their foilage in the fall like our hardwoods.

Can't help you on where to find hardwood mulch, where I live they make both but most peoplewant softwood as it brakes down faster.

Steve
03-05-2009, 09:04 PM
I have made an agreement with the customer to do 12 yards of cypress mulch first, then I will do the back at a later time. I am charging $35.00 a yard to lay it which I think is fair enough. I am going to be doing his lawn maintence also which will be $200.00 a month and three other home owners want estimates as well.

Let us know how much time it takes after you do the job and how that compares with the time you initially thought it would take. It will be very interesting to see how these times compare.

SprinklerRepair
04-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Don't use cypress mulch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Qfg8z-q6A

quickcleanlawn
04-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Don't use cypress mulch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Qfg8z-q6A

why kill A tree to grow A flower?Great point, I tell my customers all the time where this stuff comes from, you think they would care, giving we are in Louisiana. our only other option is that red stuff nobody likes.

StartALawnCareBusiness
04-24-2009, 09:05 PM
The big box stores in our are now carrying recycled mulch...made from old tires, and rubber products. It looks good but I've yet to use any so I can't pass along, first hand, if it's a viable alternative or not.

Keith