PDA

View Full Version : hmmm

jasonw
03-03-2009, 08:14 PM
So far I have yet to get one call. Is this just a sign of the times? I did get a funny call today though. Someone who saw my local add in the paper and he was looking for work. I wish I could help but I don't even have work for myself. I politely told him I will keep his name and number in case I get busy and need some extra help, then I gave him the phone number of someone who may be able to put him to work. This is getting kinda boring just sitting here. I have put an add in the paper, put up fliers on every public board I can find, Put business card on the doors to houses who have over grown yards. I just don't get it. Maybe its just the economy who know2s.

Steve
03-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Are you posting on craigslist?

Put business card on the doors to houses who have over grown yards.

Is it possible these houses are in foreclosure? Maybe they aren't looking for lawn care now?

Have you been promoting your services in your neighborhood?

Are there any projects you can see yourself helping with around town to get media attention? Any areas that could use some cleaning up?

When you have more money than time, you can leverage your money to market your business. When you have more time than money you should leverage your time. Make your time work for you and get attention.

What other things have you been thinking about doing?

picframer
03-04-2009, 07:38 PM
I guess the first thing that crossed my mind is where are you located, it could be the season, I know many of the folks here are already starting for the season, my lawn season will not start for another 2 months so I taylor my marketing to the climate. I am heading into dead season, snow season is over, everything will start to melt and yard care is on hold until at least the first of May, so I focus on woodworking and have enough orders to keep me going with two helpers until I can start outside.

I came across what I considered a good deal on hardwood logs last week so I bought the 60 cord and have it sitting on my property, I will hire a couple of people to cut it up and split it, I have the equipment and will have them deliver it, point being just hang in there, look for oportunities, perhaps post where you are so that we have some idea what the climate is at the moment and can offer some suggestions on what you might want to consider.

If you have time, talk to some property developers, talk to banks, if they are foreclosing they still need the property to look half decent, I know times are tough but don't forget we are entrepuners, look for the oportunities, could be something as simple as washing someone's window, what may happen is they will ask you do do other chores as well, at least it will get some cash flow hapening.

rclandscaping
03-04-2009, 08:12 PM
I live in indiana and today was beautiful. I went door to door putting flyers on doors. It does get frusterating and right the times are bad. While you are sitting there email potential businesses that might want to switch to you. Where does your family members work. Maybe they can talk to thier bosses to see if they will use you. Right now the economy is bad and the snow just melted. I made my flyer out for today not tommorrow. People look at their yards right now and say ugg. when they see my flyer they called. I got one call today. already they said help do a pre spring very late fall cleanup. Basically get the leaves up and remove the sticks. Ill do it for cheap right now to get my name out there!!

jasonw
03-05-2009, 10:42 AM
I have been bypassing houses that looked like they were empty. I have only been going to houses that I am fairly sure have inhabitants but I suppose just because they live there dose not mean they are doing ok. As far as foreclosures and rentals and what not I have been sending email fliers to realtors and property managers all over my county. I did get a response asking about my services and rates but did not get a reply after that. I guess it could still be the weather. I live in Ione, Ca and our weather has been real goofy as of late. I figured it would help me though because we will have a week of rain then a week of sun then another week of rain. This biweekly nice sunny weather is making the lawns grown like weeds literally. I have trouble even keeping up with my own lawn they are growing so fast. Half the houses around here look like they are in the same boat and just dont have time to keep up on it. Maybe in another month or 2 it will start paying off.

outerelements
03-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Give it some time- I have learned (recently in fact), that people will wait till the last minute to obtain a lawn service. If you are still not receiving calls by the end of the month and into next month, try harder to market your business. Rotate your fliers by using different variations of the templates on this site...

jasonw
03-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I guess also at that time I could try harder to hustle work. I really am in no need for it and I think that makes me greatly lack in the marketing department. I think subconsciously I think "I really don't need it so if I get it good but if not oh well" I guess I also can spend from now until then really setting up a killer marketing plan.

Steve
03-05-2009, 06:06 PM
I guess I also can spend from now until then really setting up a killer marketing plan.

I can't wait to hear what you come up with.

StartALawnCareBusiness
03-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Often, a customer won't bite on the first go around.
Many marketing books say a customer needs to see/hear an ad 7 times before he's ready to buy. I do not suggest spamming your neighborhood with flyers but you should try a multipronged approach.

Instead of mailing your flyers to the real estate agents hoping they will call, pick up the phone yourself and call them. Or, better yet, take pictures of properties that need service and visit the agent's office.