PDA

View Full Version : my intro va

lawn-guy
03-03-2009, 12:05 AM
hello all my name is steve im from va. i have 15 years exp in this profession and i love it i just recently started my own company im in the area of northern neck / middle peninsula any questions just ask

Steve
03-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Hi Steve,

Welcome to our forum!

After all those years in the lawn care industry, what got you to decide to start out on your own? What have you thought of the experience so far?

lawn-guy
03-04-2009, 02:06 AM
Hi Steve,

Welcome to our forum!

After all those years in the lawn care industry, what got you to decide to start out on your own? What have you thought of the experience so far?

well to be honest my family owned a very large landscape company that did only goverment work so i learned alot there then went to work for a friend who has a company and after awhile i reliazed i was bustin my tail to make them money so if i am goin to bust my tail either way might as well do it for my self. so i stayed with them for awhile and got all the exp i could and the rest is history i learned many many things so i believe it was worth it and it will beneifit me in the long run having this expierence.

Steve
03-04-2009, 04:49 AM
Oh that is great!

What kinds of marketing did you find worked best or worked worst? Any advice on that?

lawn-guy
03-05-2009, 01:36 AM
Oh that is great!

What kinds of marketing did you find worked best or worked worst? Any advice on that?

well we did alot of sealed bids then so there really wasnt much need for advertising for my self now im just handin out lots of flyers ive gone thru 1000 flyers in 2 weeks and 250 business cards so we will see how it works . wejust got hit with a snow storm so that kinda threw a wrench in the works

Steve
03-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Do you think you might try to get into bidding on government properties now? Could your family assist you in creating bids for these jobs, if needed?

lawn-guy
03-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Do you think you might try to get into bidding on government properties now? Could your family assist you in creating bids for these jobs, if needed?

maybe im not 100 percent sure but if i did they would help.i would to preffer to stay with the smaller scale more decrative cutting like buildings and what not now alot of there work is interstates and underdrain

Steve
03-06-2009, 08:41 PM
For those lawn care business owners looking into bidding on government projects, do you have any advice as to how to break into that specialty?

lawn-guy
03-07-2009, 10:18 AM
as far as finding contracts alot times there posted in the paper but you can call diffrent agencys(d.o.t. air ports ect.) and get on there mailing list and they will mail u bid sheets when a project is open for bids.

what ever u plan on bidding bid a little higher theres always extras they want and thing that werent in the preview that they expect to have done.