PDA

View Full Version : I need some help

Kushy
03-01-2009, 02:53 PM
I have an area about 20 feet by 40 feet with ground cover and small plants and bushes. I want to remove everything down to the dirt. I'm going to then cover it with rocks. What is the best way to remove all that vegetation?

Steve
03-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Does anyone have any advice on dealing with this issue?

picframer
03-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Does anyone have any advice on dealing with this issue?

Personally I would use my box scraper, it's an attachment for the back of the tractor and it is really slick as it will level as you remove the "stuff" that you no longer want. I have also used the loader, really depends on the soil. I know many of the guys on the tractor forum rent a box scraper for this type of project.

If you are laying rock after, may I suggest the landscape fabric used for septic fields, man this stuff lasts forever unlike most of the products at the big box store and you won't be going back to weed for years, if ever.

Steve
03-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Oh that's a great attachment!

How long do you think it would take you to do that size job? Also what advice would you have as far as how much should he charge to do the job?

picframer
03-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Oh that's a great attachment!

How long do you think it would take you to do that size job? Also what advice would you have as far as how much should he charge to do the job?

Now you sound like most of our customers who want a quote over the phone or email....just kidding.

Honestly I would want to see it, however I did three of these last year, all were for garage's being built, I believe most were 30 X 40, two took an hour and I charged $150.00, I quoted before I started and we agreed, they felt they were getting a deal, I tend to work fast so I don't generally bid these by the hour.

The third one turned into a nightmare for both of us, I generally take a shovel and ask if I may dig a test hole, I am looking for water, this guy had water in the hole yet the soil seemed dry, I suggested we should find out where the water was coming from, long story short there was a small brook on top of a hill behind his house, when they built his lawn they did not put any drainage in to stop the water from getting into his lawn and septic field. I told him up front the water issue should be fixed first as it would eventually damage the septic field, probably cost $8,000+++ to repair and made note of this in our contract, he didn't want to bother, wanted the area dug out, put 20 ton's of clear stone in and he would build his garage, I was going to walk as I knew this was a bad idea but I said ok (he is a neighbour of a close friend or I would have walked), I will give it a shot but it will be $80.00 an hour and I can't tell you how long it will take as I have a feeling there is going to be trouble, you can watch me if you like, I don't waste time and that option is available to you.

I wasn't on the site 20 min and the four wheel drive tractor was buried, I had barely started, got the tractor out and said that's it for me, that water has to be fixed, he said I will get an excavator to do the job which he did, I know the operator, he was there 30 min and had the unit stuck, it took a bull dozer to get it out, now the fellow has a serious mess, lawn along side of the house is ruined, will cost a couple of grand to fix up and replace as the dozer crushed his footing drains.....I was talking to this fellows neighbour yesterday while out walking my dog, he never did find anyone that would do the job.

Sorry for the ramble, my point is be very careful, have a look at what you are up against and big accordingly. It's like a comment I read here on spring/fall clean up's, take a pitch fork and move the leaves as there could be half a car under there<G>

In the case of this poster, assuming good hard soil, I would guess $75.00 plus a float fee, first 5 miles are free, after that it's $25.00 to $50.00 depending on how far you live from my equipment.

Andy

Steve
03-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Oh this is very interesting. So ultimately this home owner had basically an underground stream flowing through his yard? That is what was causing the high water table in that area?