PDA

View Full Version : Recent Tree Job

Little's
02-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Hey Steve. I havent posted any pictures on here in a long time. So I thought I would post some of a cottonwood tree I climbed and took down last week. Took us 2 hours. The homeowner had a tractor and dragged all the limbs, and trunk off into the gully behind his house. I like jobs that are quick and easy!

http://bootsniffer.com/images/work.jpg
http://bootsniffer.com/images/work4.jpg
http://bootsniffer.com/images/work7.jpg
http://bootsniffer.com/images/work9.jpg

englishtree
02-28-2009, 09:52 PM
nice pics I love climbing Sure is nice to get the tree down and walk away

Steve
02-28-2009, 10:41 PM
Oh that is very interesting! It looks like it was pretty close to that one structure!

Can you teach us a little on a break down of how much a lawn care business owner should charge for something like that? Maybe offer us some kind of price range idea they should shoot for and why?

This is a great learning opportunity!

picframer
03-01-2009, 05:26 AM
Good Job, those growths on the side look like burls, would need a close up to confirm, if that is the case that trunk is worth some serious bucks, quick guess is most wood turners would give you around two grand for the trunk.......Andy

Steve
03-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Good Job, those growths on the side look like burls, would need a close up to confirm, if that is the case that trunk is worth some serious bucks, quick guess is most wood turners would give you around two grand for the trunk.

What are burls and why are they so sought after?

picframer
03-01-2009, 05:30 PM
What are burls and why are they so sought after?

Generally speaking it is thought that a burl is caused because something tramatic happened to the tree, If you look up the Halifax Explosion where I live it pretty much flattened the city many years ago, I would guess 60% of the trees in the south end of halifax have burls, i wrote an article for the paper on this and I believe this is due to the explosion. They are the big lumps on the side of trees, considered a growth, can go well over 3,000 pounds. My high school friend makes a very good living turning burls over 1,200 pounds as glass covered table bases, I have seen a couple that were over 6 feet across.

When Hurricane Juan hit here a few years back, my son and I collected 20 truck loads of burls, you can see this on my woodworking website, we could have collected 10 times that amount however I had no where to put them and they have to be properly sealed for drying which can get expensive.

They are sought after by woodworkers and turners as they have crazy grain and command a very high price tag, for example we sell a 16" burl bowl for $600.00 to $950.00 and they sell just as fast as they are ready, it's a process to turn them properly and takes a few months between steps.

Here is a Maple burl trinket box, I sold almost 200 of these in December.

Little's
03-02-2009, 01:17 AM
Oh that is very interesting! It looks like it was pretty close to that one structure!

Can you teach us a little on a break down of how much a lawn care business owner should charge for something like that? Maybe offer us some kind of price range idea they should shoot for and why?

This is a great learning opportunity!

This was the second of 2 trees that were almost identical. Me and my helper did the trees about 1 month apart so the homeowner could afford it. I charged him $300 for each tree. Each tree took about 2 hours. That is pretty cheap, but with the economy the way it is, and since I didnt have any clean-up, I gave them a good deal.

Anyone who wants to do this type of work really needs to get some good experience first. And having a small light top-handle chainsaw is almost a must.

As far as bidding, it's like with any other bidding, you get a feel for how long it is going to take, and how hard the job is going to be, and give it your best shot. You win some, you lose some, but your bidding gets better with better experience.

When I first started, I made a few bad bidding mistakes. For example, this nice elderly lady had a tree in her backyard. Well her house was built on a hill and the backyard was sloped downhill to the tree she wanted removed. Well giving her age and the hill, I just looked at the tree from her 2nd story balcony with her and gave her a price.

Then next week when I came to remove the tree, it was much bigger then it looked from the balcony and each and every piece had to be cut small enough to throw over the shoulder and hiked up a super steep incline. OMG what a killer workout, and in 100 degrees at that. I was so glad to be finished with that job.

Little's
03-02-2009, 01:32 AM
Good Job, those growths on the side look like burls, would need a close up to confirm, if that is the case that trunk is worth some serious bucks, quick guess is most wood turners would give you around two grand for the trunk.......Andy

Hi Andy,
I am surprised anyone would want to work with it since it is cottonwood. They were some sort of burls, but I dont know about the quality of them. I will keep this in mind for the future.

picframer
03-02-2009, 04:07 AM
Hi Andy,
I am surprised anyone would want to work with it since it is cottonwood. They were some sort of burls, but I dont know about the quality of them. I will keep this in mind for the future.

Cottonwood is one of three members of the poplar family, I thought that is what it was/could be from looking at the stump. When it comes to wood turning, the species is not that important, I turned some Japanese Yew Roots a few years back that were given to me by the grounds keeper at the Halifax Public Gardens, brutal on the tools as there was still grit in the wood but the results were breathtaking. So in short turners look for grain, doesn't matter much the species. If you do come across more, send me a note before you discard and I will put you in contact with the local wood turning club, it could turn out to be a small gold mine under your nose and you will probably get paid to take it away.

Here is my personal favorite, Thuya Burl, it gorws off the roots of a small shrub in Morocco, what is interesting is although the shrub is very small these burls grow to 200 pounds off a small root system and are worth big bucks.

If any of you fall a Walnut tree, especially in the CA area, there are balls on the root system that are also worth big $$$, they refer to it as Claro (not 100% on the spelling) I have herd from friends there a big Walnut tree can be worth up to 10 grand if it has root balls and for some reason in the CA state they do.

Andy

justin_time
03-02-2009, 12:52 PM
I am gonna need your expertise Brandon, I'm gonna need help trim my apple tree. Every year we want to do it and end up forgetting but it gets so loaded the branches break off. So what I am gonna do, is send you a picture and you tell me how i should trim it since I am not an expert yet but learning the tricks

Little's
03-02-2009, 01:49 PM
I am gonna need your expertise Brandon, I'm gonna need help trim my apple tree. Every year we want to do it and end up forgetting but it gets so loaded the branches break off. So what I am gonna do, is send you a picture and you tell me how i should trim it since I am not an expert yet but learning the tricks

Sure, send me a picture, I should be able to help you out on it. It is best to prune off all the upright vigorous shoots, and try to leave all the old growth. You get the best apples off the old branches, and better tasting apples too.

Little's
03-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Cottonwood is one of three members of the poplar family, I thought that is what it was/could be from looking at the stump. When it comes to wood turning, the species is not that important, I turned some Japanese Yew Roots a few years back that were given to me by the grounds keeper at the Halifax Public Gardens, brutal on the tools as there was still grit in the wood but the results were breathtaking. So in short turners look for grain, doesn't matter much the species. If you do come across more, send me a note before you discard and I will put you in contact with the local wood turning club, it could turn out to be a small gold mine under your nose and you will probably get paid to take it away.

Here is my personal favorite, Thuya Burl, it gorws off the roots of a small shrub in Morocco, what is interesting is although the shrub is very small these burls grow to 200 pounds off a small root system and are worth big bucks.

If any of you fall a Walnut tree, especially in the CA area, there are balls on the root system that are also worth big $$$, they refer to it as Claro (not 100% on the spelling) I have herd from friends there a big Walnut tree can be worth up to 10 grand if it has root balls and for some reason in the CA state they do.

Andy

Thanks for the info Andy. May be a new business venture for me!

Steve
03-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Justin,

You should post the picture so we can all see what advice Brandon offers on handling that.

justin_time
03-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Justin,

You should post the picture so we can all see what advice Brandon offers on handling that.

Yeah, i have to wait, there's still 5 feet of snow on the ground :p

Little's
03-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Yeah, i have to wait, there's still 5 feet of snow on the ground :p

I hear that and have no idea what its like. haha Where I live, we are lucky to get 5 inches of snow. I have already started mowing lawns this year!

justin_time
03-02-2009, 08:08 PM
I hear that and have no idea what its like. haha Where I live, we are lucky to get 5 inches of snow. I have already started mowing lawns this year!

Here's my thread on Snow pictures

Those pictures were taken on Christmas day and we've lost it twice from the rain so imagine if we wouldn't had any rain :eek:

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=8275

Little's
03-02-2009, 10:15 PM
That is a ton of snow! Whats funny is it snows like that only 45 minutes from my house, I just happen to be i an area that hold warm air and hardly has snow ever sticks for more than a few hours.

Steve
03-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Brandon,

Do you have or rent a chipper at all? How do you handle all the branches that you take down and the leaves? What do you suggest as far as that goes?

Little's
03-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Quality chippers are VERY expensive (10k- 30k). But you can rent one for about $250 per day. I only do this on brush clearing jobs. Tree jobs I can usually load the trailer and haul away all the branches. Sometimes it take 2 loads, but there are a few places I can drop it for free with no charge. This is 1 benefit of having an open trailer as opposed to a closed trailer. I can load my trailer 12 ft high. Tie it down and off I go.

Usually I will lay a strong rope down before loading the brush. Then lasso it around the load. Then tie off on a cement block and put the truck in drive and pull the load right out of the back of the trailer.

It a 60 second unload.

englishtree
03-04-2009, 07:11 AM
I use to load and unload a trailer but after a while it gets old, depending on how often you do it? Ya chippers are expensive I bought one for 2,000 and had to do a lot of work to it exhaust, clutch, paint, blades, etc...but it paid for itself

how did you learn to climb, compared to lawn service to tree service whats the percentage of work you do for each?

Steve
03-04-2009, 05:38 PM
how did you learn to climb, compared to lawn service to tree service whats the percentage of work you do for each?

I could be wrong but I thought Brandon had said somewhere in here he focuses mainly on tree care.

Little's
03-04-2009, 06:06 PM
I had a friend who was a climber that "showed me the ropes" and I did a lot of reading and learned my rigging and knots, and off I went.
I would like to buy a chipper, but i one of those people who waits until I come across a killer deal, then jumps on it. That is how I will get one eventually. As for now, I only have to load my trailer, the unloading is the easy part.

I would say that about 50% of my work is trees, but it accounts for about 75% of my income. I did a job today that was removing a small pine, cottonwood, and trimming 2 libs off a Eucalyptus. I made $775 and did all the work myself.

But the landscaping work keep the money coming in and I can always count on it, even though you can make much more money working on trees, the work isnt as consistent.

Little's
03-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Here's my trailer load today.
http://bootsniffer.com/images/load1.jpg

englishtree
03-05-2009, 07:16 AM
thats great for you, I do some work myself and other times theres just no way around it I have to get help on some jobs. It's hard finding people to want to do this kind of work. Be safe