PDA

View Full Version : New in Florida

Schwarzman85
02-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Hi
I am thinking of starting a Lawn Business in a couple months in FL. I have been doing my own lawn and another behind my house for about 5 years . I use a Riding Mower,Edger,Weeder,Trimmer. None of this is commercial or anything but in time when I grow I will update. I am gonna start off with doing lawns and working a part time job somewhere until I can get more accounts.

I am learning more watching your Videos and will continue to watch.

Any advice would be much appericated.

Chris

swstout
02-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Hi
I am thinking of starting a Lawn Business in a couple months in FL. I have been doing my own lawn and another behind my house for about 5 years . I use a Riding Mower,Edger,Weeder,Trimmer. None of this is commercial or anything but in time when I grow I will update. I am gonna start off with doing lawns and working a part time job somewhere until I can get more accounts.

I am learning more watching your Videos and will continue to watch.

Any advice would be much appericated.

Chris

If you have cash available, you can pick up good equipment locally. I watch the papers for foreclosures and then check for lawn and garage sales at those addresses. You can pick up great bargans that way.

Advertise and offer free estimates. Drop flyers off in the neighborhood when you give the estimates. Ask if they know anyone who would be interested.

Steve

Schwarzman85
02-27-2009, 09:57 PM
I will be looking locally for used but I would like to get a New with warranty Zero turn but have no idea which brands are good. I am gonna start looking in the newspaper and bargain trader.

Steve
02-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Hi Chris,

Welcome to our forum.

Check out the lawn care equipment ranking chart here (http://www.gopherforum.com/index.php). It might help give you some ideas.

I would like to get a New with warranty Zero turn

What is your view on why a brand new one with warranty?

Are you handy? Can you do mower repairs yourself?

Also what have you been doing to promote your business?

Schwarzman85
02-27-2009, 11:29 PM
The reason for the warranty is Ive seen a couple of my friends get burnt on some deals. I'm sure I could find one Used with warranty Ill just have to look.

I am Handy and would have to learn the mower I buy. I haven't done any major repairs on a lawn mower before but I am sure I can learn quick.

I have a hand full of people not happy with their current landscaper. I am also talking to 3 Property Managers that are family friends which might help me if it does fall through. I also watched your video and like the idea of handing out the Grass Seed Flyer,Magnet's on Door's,Back of my SUV,Business cards. I am still watching so I'm still learning.

Do you have any Used Lawn Tool Sites?

Chris

Steve
02-27-2009, 11:44 PM
The reason for the warranty is Ive seen a couple of my friends get burnt on some deals.

Can you tell us a little about what happened in those deals? It could help others in keeping an out out for problems.

I am also talking to 3 Property Managers that are family friends which might help me if it does fall through.

This is fantastic! Have you asked them what properties they manage and how much they are paying per property? Maybe they will even give you a copy of some of the bids they are using for maintenance. That could help you create your own pricing model.

Do you have any Used Lawn Tool Sites?
No. I would say check out craigslist for your area.

Let me know which marketing ideas you go with and how they work out for you.

Schwarzman85
02-28-2009, 12:23 AM
Mowers going bad after 2 weeks after bought he had to buy a new motor and his Mower was down for almost 1 month due to lack of funds. He had to use his push mower he doesn't have many accounts.

They Manage house's in my Neighborhood and others within 10miles. Majority of the house's are on 1/4 Arce lots with pools,1-2 Palm Tree's,Bush's in front of house.I haven't gotten into that much detail with them but will keep you updated.

I have been checking craigslist. Ive seen some good deals on some Enclosed Trailers. Not much on Mowers unless you need a Parts Mower.

Chris

Steve
02-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Chris,

If there are a lot of pools in your area, is this something you could also offer to? Pool maintenance? That could help you expand your own property maintenance services.

Schwarzman85
02-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Chris,

If there are a lot of pools in your area, is this something you could also offer to? Pool maintenance? That could help you expand your own property maintenance services.

I will actually be signing up for my CPO on March 13 & 14 in Kissimmee with Wayne Livingston. I think this might help with getting more accounts so Clients would only have to pay 1 person for their Pool & Lawn.

Steve
03-01-2009, 04:30 PM
I will actually be signing up for my CPO

Can you tell us a little about this? What is a CPO and how does that help you?

Schwarzman85
03-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Can you tell us a little about this? What is a CPO and how does that help you?

CPO = Certified Pool/Spa Operator with this I will learn how to properly maintain pools in accordance with state regulations and industry standards.

Since I only do my own pool I figured I might as well take the class it last for 5 years.

Chris

Steve
03-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Does your state require that if you offer pool service, you need to be certified to do it?

Schwarzman85
03-03-2009, 12:37 AM
Does your state require that if you offer pool service, you need to be certified to do it?

Not sure but I am gonna say Yes you have too be. I am taking this class so I can learn everything to maintaining pool's.

Chris

Steve
03-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Keep us posted on how the class goes.