PDA

View Full Version : Living a dream

j32rooks
02-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Good morning! I just wanted to take a few minutes to introduce myself. My name is Jason and I live southwest Ohio. This is my first year in the mowing business. I have been employed with a lawn application and tree & shrub company for the last six years. I plan to start up part time and grow it into a full time business.

So, I can use any information or advice that anyone has to offer. I don't know where to start. What equipment to buy? Insurance? Building a customer base? Best marketing strategy? Do I need a website? Do I need a mentor?

Help! Where should my attention and enery be focused toward?

Thanks for all the help!

I have justified in my mind the last 5 years reasons why I shouldn't start a lawn service business but I decide I don't want to have any regrets not giving it a try
Thanks again.
Jason

Steve
02-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Hi Jason,

Welcome to our forum!

Will you be offering any of the services you perform in your ft job, in your new business?

Can you use the skill set you developed working with them and apply it in your own business?

j32rooks
02-28-2009, 07:25 AM
I won't be offering any service that my ft employer offers. I plan to mow, spring and fall clean up, mulching and dog waste removal. My ft position I do fertilizing, weed and feeds, and insect treatment to lawns.

Steve
02-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Do you think it's worthwhile to get an applicators license in the future or no?

You are in a great position to see both markets. The lawn care market and the applicators market.

What are your thoughts on the good sides or bads side of each?

limbwalker2002
08-13-2011, 06:54 PM
I've recently started my own business, as well, and what I have to say is that over and over again, the quality of your work is what will bring more opportunities. My focus is residential, and the best thing that can happen for you is if they have company and someone says "Wow, who does your lawn?" I've got areas in which I'm surrounded by people with $10,000+ worth of equipment, but my lawns look better. I say quality is where it's at.

Sabina Lawn Care
08-14-2011, 06:32 AM
Where in SW Ohio are you located?

Steve
08-15-2011, 12:30 PM
I've got areas in which I'm surrounded by people with $10,000+ worth of equipment, but my lawns look better. I say quality is where it's at.

For those that don't have the money to buy expensive equipment, what advise do you have for them to achieve great results with what equipment they have?