PDA

View Full Version : i need some advice on my service

sasquatchmonk
02-25-2009, 02:55 PM
i am going to register my name today. Monk's Lawn and Landscaping. Well I am not to experienced at the landscaping gig, but I'm going to start school this summer for landscaping architecture. so my question is, if a customer say 'oh i need a retaining wall put in, or i need this or that' something i dont know how to do.....do i just tell them, i dont know how to do that, but let me go home and learn about and draw a plan up and price, and i'll get back to you asap?

Steve
02-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Well there seem to be two schools of thought on that topic that I have seen. I know some people that won't turn down any work and will figure a way to do whatever it is so they don't lose any opportunities and there are others that focus on their specific niche.

We have seen a lot of disaster stories on here as well. I can remember a few dealing with retaining walls where they weren't done correctly and as soon as the ground settled, the walls did too and they had to be rebuilt.

Are you finding that you are leaning one way or the other with this?

sasquatchmonk
02-25-2009, 03:25 PM
I am very apt to doing whatever it takes [most of the time] to satisfy the customer....so if there is a will, there is way as the old saying goes. I am focusing mainly on lawn care right now. If there are current customers or new customers that need a huge project done, I'm am very willing to study up on it by ready books and looking up online articles about the project. I even have a couple of buddies the would be willing to make and extra buck to help install the project. When I advertise, I mainly show my basic lawn care service right now, until I get more experience under my belt. I just don't want to look unprofessional.

Steve
02-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Keep us posted on how all your projects go!

rclandscaping
03-15-2009, 10:38 PM
At first when we thought we were going to get projects that were too big for us or we did not have the equipment, we would just over bid. But then we thought that could make us look bad in the end. We actually met up with a couple lawn care places around our area and exchanged business cards. We said if there is any project too big we would all work together or just let the customer know that this company specializes in that area. They give us leads and we give them leads too. I think businesses small ones that work together are great.