PDA

View Full Version : Hi there from South Florida!!

coastalcuttersinc
02-24-2009, 09:45 AM
My husband & I just opened a Lawn Service & Landscaping Company. Four days after filing for the corporation my husband got laid off from his full-time job (which he had intended on keeping until necessary) So this is probably a blessing in disguise now he can put 100% of his time into getting the business name out there. If anyone has any pointers or advertise for NEW business owners in this industry we would be more than grateful to hear it! Good luck to all of you!! :D

Steve
02-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Hi coastalcuttersinc ,

Welcome to our forum!

What got you interested in starting a lawn care business?

What have you been doing so far to promote yourself?

Melanie
02-24-2009, 06:37 PM
My husband & I just opened a Lawn Service & Landscaping Company. Four days after filing for the corporation my husband got laid off from his full-time job (which he had intended on keeping until necessary) So this is probably a blessing in disguise now he can put 100% of his time into getting the business name out there. If anyone has any pointers or advertise for NEW business owners in this industry we would be more than grateful to hear it! Good luck to all of you!! :D

When my husband and I started his lanscaping business three years ago the first things we did was have inexpensive lawn signs made and stuck one in our own lawn. We had three customers the first day. We live in a neighboorhood so maybe that helped, but no matter where you are someone is bound to see it and call. Also, don't hesitate to ask neighbors and people you know. The second thing we did was have inexpenive flyers copied, punched a hole cut a slit with scissors and my kids and I went for a walk around the neighborhood and hung them on people's door's. Putting things in peoples' mailboxes is illegal, and we actualy got many jobs from putting the door hangers out. :)Hope this helps.

Steve
02-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Melanie,

That is fantastic! What will you be doing this year to promote your lawn care service?

Do you enlist the kids in any other way? Do you give them marketing material to hand out at school? Do you offer to teach outdoor power equipment safety to kids at the local school?

I bet there are a lot of ideas you could tie in like that.

musician/lawnman
02-25-2009, 08:16 AM
What part of Florida are you in?

Melanie
02-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Melanie,

That is fantastic! What will you be doing this year to promote your lawn care service?

Do you enlist the kids in any other way? Do you give them marketing material to hand out at school? Do you offer to teach outdoor power equipment safety to kids at the local school?

I bet there are a lot of ideas you could tie in like that.

My kids are homeschooled but I do give coupons to the kids in the neighborhood for a free or reduced lawn cut. They come around and ask for donations for gift baskets to Auction off at their schools. I simply put a coupon on the back of our business card. It's worked and have gotten regular customers from this. I have also put these at the local Food Lion on the tack board. I have even "acidentially" left one or two in the shopping carts. It works because the coupons have been used. We have an entrance going into our neighborhood that no-one takes care of. This year we plan to trim the trees (that are so low it hits our truck roof), mulch, weed etc....pretty much give it a face lift for free. We are hoping after it's done and we stick a sign out we will get some calls. I guess you can say it's advertisement for a small price.

Steve
02-25-2009, 03:27 PM
This year we plan to trim the trees (that are so low it hits our truck roof), mulch, weed etc....pretty much give it a face lift for free. We are hoping after it's done and we stick a sign out we will get some calls. I guess you can say it's advertisement for a small price.

Oh this is good! The other ideas you said are good too.

With something like this, you want to really spruce it up. Plant flowers. Maybe make a wooden sign that says welcome to "Town Name." Then take pictures of it and send out press releases to your local media. Or call them and tell them when you are planning to be there. If you can get in the paper for beautifying your area WOW that would be great advertising for you!

Every bit of advertising you do has a price. You either pay for it with money or time.

When you are just getting started you should leverage your time because you usually have more of that than money.

Take before and after pictures of the area for your website and your marketing material! Do good deeds and then let everyone know you did them.

I can't wait to hear more about this.