View Full Version : I'm the new guy

AAA PM
02-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Hello all, I'm the new guy!

Steve
02-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Hi AAA PM,

Welcome to our forum!

What got you to start your lawn care business?

AAA PM
02-24-2009, 12:39 PM
I got into the lawn maintenance biz because I wanted to start something new. I have 2 current jobs. One of which is a credit repair company that I own. Itsí going on it's 5th year is doing well, to the point where I have a little capital and have gained enough experience in small business to try something new. That said, I love lawns (kind of greenthumb). I thought it would be a business as well as a hobby. My current 2 jobs keep me behind a desk all day. Iím looking fwd to getting outside and getting my hands dirty.

I found Lawn chat by listening to Steve's podcast. I like his style. A working class, self starter that we can all relate to.

Steve
02-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks!

Have you found that you have learned a lot about promotions and marketing with your other businesses? What kinds of things have you been doing to promote your lawn care business so far?

AAA PM
02-25-2009, 10:02 AM
So far I've been in touch with all the phone books (they don't come out for a while). Also I've been working on my SEO for my website. I really don't know what else to do. That's one of the main reasons I've been interested in your forum and podcasts. What do you feel are the best ways to get my first customers?

Steve
02-25-2009, 02:22 PM
I was just responding to your other post so this is a continuation.

It's important to work your social circles. Are you a member of any social organizations in your area? Is anyone you know involved in any? Can you reach out to them? Can you help them and have them help you?

AAA PM
02-26-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm not involved in anything like that. My social network will definately not generate new customers. I have to do it the old fasion way, by advertising. Just wondering where to start (other than online and the ph books).

Steve
02-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Well why not join up the local chamber of commerce? Are there other business owner associations in your area?

Social networks are a great way to meet people and sell.

What are your thoughts on joining up with such groups?

AAA PM
02-27-2009, 11:13 AM
I've always been interested in the Chamber of commerce. I would definitely pursue that idea. How can they help me?

Steve
02-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Well the goal is to meet others that live in your area. The chamber is going to have a group of local business owners that also own homes. If you join such an organization, you immediately open up many new network opportunities. You meet these members and they can put you in touch with friends and family they know.

The more people you know, the more you can sell too.

What's your view on something like that?

BLS
04-09-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm also interested in getting my name out there i have been on just basic advertising.Hangers , flyers, post cards, & local paper.Just a Little info I live in Louisiana Lawn business is 1 1/2 years old took it as a extra income on my 7 days off but it ended up consumeing to much time so i quite my other job.

Steve
04-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Lawn business is 1 1/2 years old took it as a extra income on my 7 days off but it ended up consumeing to much time so i quite my other job.

That is fantastic! I think a lot of lawn care business owners find themselves at a crossroads after a while of whether to continue with their full time job or not. Can you tell us a little about what you were thinking and what you took into account when you decided to make that job to going full time with your business?