PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer Bump Spools

FaccLndscpng
02-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Does anyone else go through trimmer spools, I have a Red Max which I replace like 2-3 times a season and Echos that last longer but I still replace like once every 2 seasons. But from being bumped on the concrete they wear out and the more worn down they get the harder my guys bump the head and this only creates an even bigger problem. A tip that I cam up with is to drive a bunch of like 1"- 1 1/2" drivewall screws into the head to last longer. It seems to work for me but you have to drive the screws in and only leave like 1/16" of the head exposed I will try to get some pics up, but I also put about 6-8 screws in a pattern like your lug nuts on your tires. try to keep them all the same length and the metal will last longer than the plastic.

ritchiem
02-23-2009, 10:26 PM
I use redmax trimmers as well...if I use the trimmer I can make a head last over a full season. If I get my staff to use them they can eat them up in a month. You need to make sure you are at full throttle before you bump...and gently bump or tap. I wish they would understand...I should start charging them for equipment wear and maybe they would be more careful.

I know how you feel FaccLndscpng

jsthomas06
02-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Does anyone else go through trimmer spools, I have a Red Max which I replace like 2-3 times a season and Echos that last longer but I still replace like once every 2 seasons. But from being bumped on the concrete they wear out and the more worn down they get the harder my guys bump the head and this only creates an even bigger problem. A tip that I cam up with is to drive a bunch of like 1"- 1 1/2" drivewall screws into the head to last longer. It seems to work for me but you have to drive the screws in and only leave like 1/16" of the head exposed I will try to get some pics up, but I also put about 6-8 screws in a pattern like your lug nuts on your tires. try to keep them all the same length and the metal will last longer than the plastic.

Thats a great Idea! I worked in a small engine shop and we would put a bolt in the middle of the head. Same basic concept. The only thing you have to be careful about is that is does not make the head off balance. But putting them in a lug nut pattern would make the chances less of being off balance.

ritchiem
02-23-2009, 10:34 PM
the redmax OEM heads I use have a thick washer built into the tap...it does help thats for sure.

musician/lawnman
02-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Rich,

Not for wear purposes but..... you realy should try the shindiawa speed feed heads. Thay are made to fit most comercial trimmer brands ( I use them on echo trimmers). Bad *** heads. No more taking them apart to reline! fast & easy with less aggrivation & thay take even the thickest of lines easily (I use the large head version) where as echos' quick feed heads are a pain in the *** if you use heavy line & they are just a crappier design in general as far as ease of use. Check em out!

musician/lawnman
02-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Found an Image of those heads for you.
http://www.edgeandengine.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_49_50_52&products_id=214

FaccLndscpng
02-24-2009, 10:15 AM
when I used to work alone I never had to replace a head and I had the red max for atleast 2 years, then once my guys come into the picture its all I do replace heads. but I also tried a single bolt and found that it more or less got in the way, the lug nut pattern with dry wall screws has worked in the past and prolongs the problem. I recently saw the heads that your talking about chuck in my dealers store and was wondering how they were, I will give them a shot this season, thanks for the tip, they looked heavy plastic so they should last alot longer, and I dont know how many times I had to jump off the mower to help someone trying to re string, to find them like 10 minutes in with knots everywhere.
George

Steve
02-24-2009, 04:07 PM
but I also tried a single bolt and found that it more or less got in the way, the lug nut pattern with dry wall screws has worked in the past and prolongs the problem.
Does anyone have a picture of this they can show us?

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
02-25-2009, 02:51 PM
OK im lost with the redmax head?? How can you use 2 or 3 in one year ?Are they the new one that has the metal in them ??
I have 3 red max trimmers and in the last 2 years have not replaced one head yet. But they are all the ones that have the metal ring in them . I will take a pic soon LOL I hope !!

FaccLndscpng
02-26-2009, 08:46 PM
well the problem isnt with the redmax heads, the problem is the person using the trimmer, as rich said when you use the equipt yourself you dont have to replace anything but once your workers come into the picture all hell breaks loose. I also know that sometimes the line wraps itself and gets so hot sometimes that it welds onto itself so it dosent automatically feed when you bump the head, you have to take it apart and fix the problem. and we as the owner of the equipt would take our time and see whats going on with the line but everyone else just keeps on bumping the head untill something comes out, they dont think to take it apart and see why the line is stuck, so the more they bump the more plastic gets rubbed off. I will have to look and see if mine have plastic in the heads but I still think I am done with regular heads I think I am getting the speed feed heads this season. I will try to get some pics up but I always have trouble trying to upload I have been trying to get pics of my truck and graphics up for a while now and still cant so I will have to mess with it one day, I will keep you posted.