PDA

View Full Version : New to the site and addicted to it!

jsthomas06
02-22-2009, 11:49 PM
Hi all,

I just recently moved back to Colorado Springs after going to college in Vermont. When I was in high school my friend and I had a lawn care company which we did in the summers.

Now that I am back, I am trying to to get back into the swing of things and start building my clientele back up.

Since it has been quite windy here I have been doing alot of fences lately......
all you east coasters must be thinking he is in colorado and can build a fence...lol.....we have very mild winters here. I do have a plow and sander and I think I have been out maybe 6 times mostley ice melting and maybe plowed 2 or 3 times, can not count on the snow for money in the winter here. But we are due for a big dumping....or at least I am hopeful..

anyway enough rambling. Great site I came upon it as I was looking for some flyer templets.

Jeff Thomas
Rocky Mountain Mowing and Lawn Services

Steve
02-23-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi Jeff,

Welcome to our forum!

What advice do you have for new lawn care business owners who are just trying to get started?

jsthomas06
02-23-2009, 10:32 AM
What advice do you have for new lawn care business owners who are just trying to get started?

I would really have to say use the resources and people that you have. Make sure everyone that you know, knows that you have a lawn care business. Word of mouth is a great marketing tool, so the more people that know the more opportunity you have to sell you services.

Steve
02-23-2009, 02:25 PM
I would really have to say use the resources and people that you have. Make sure everyone that you know, knows that you have a lawn care business. Word of mouth is a great marketing tool, so the more people that know the more opportunity you have to sell you services.

Oh good stuff! Do you have any advice as how best to get the word out to people you know that you are in business? I think a lot of new business owners get stuck on this. They want people to know but they don't want to come across as pushy.

How best can they do this?

jsthomas06
02-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Oh good stuff! Do you have any advice as how best to get the word out to people you know that you are in business? I think a lot of new business owners get stuck on this. They want people to know but they don't want to come across as pushy.

How best can they do this?

That is a great question.
It is difficult to tell all without someone thinking that you are just trying to push your business on them and make them feel that they are obligated to use you. But what I usually do is just more or less ask questions. " who currently cuts your lawn", "who did that wall" it looks great. I always like to complement what they have or what they are getting. But then always throw in the "well next time you need some work done I am in the business"!! But depending on how well you know the person the more you can have them market your business as well.