PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone

curtis44
02-18-2009, 11:07 AM
My name is Curtis, I live in High Point NC. My brother and I are just starting up a lawncare business. This will be our first season. Wish me luck LOL! I have an older friend who has been in the business for over 25 years and is helping me get started. So any tips for the beginner are always welcome! I downloaded the trial of the gopher software and it is pretty awsome Much better then the way I was going to start with a bunch of execl spreadsheets for everything.

Steve
02-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Hi Curtis,

Welcome to our forum!

What kind of advice has your friend who has been in the business for 25 years given you to get started so far?

ritchiem
02-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi Curtis, welcome to the forums. If you need anything or have any questions just ask.

What type of marketing will you be doing this year?

curtis44
02-19-2009, 09:28 AM
Hi Curtis,

Welcome to our forum!

What kind of advice has your friend who has been in the business for 25 years given you to get started so far?

One of the main things that he has really stressed is never lie to someone. If they ask you can you do something and you know for sure that you can not then do not lie and say you can do it. Being up front and honest will go a lot futher then lying and then doing a bad job.

curtis44
02-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Hi Curtis, welcome to the forums. If you need anything or have any questions just ask.

What type of marketing will you be doing this year?

Marketing is something I do not know a lot about. I plan to start small this year though. I just printed up some business cards last week. I am going to type a letter explain the new business, a little about me and my brother, what type of services we have to offer, and then at the bottom leave an area where I can pencil in a rough quote to mow and trim their yard. I plan to drive to neighborhoods and take a quick look at the property, get a rough quote and then leave the letter and the business card on the mailbox. I don't know if it will work or not but it is a cheap way to get my name out their. Also I figure the people who are not really interested may change their mind if the price is lower than what they were guessing it might of been. My friend is going to give me some tips on bidding on larger jobs, and businesses but until then I am going to start with the neighborhoods.

What type of marketing have you found to work best?

ritchiem
02-19-2009, 10:57 AM
I live in a market where everyone with a pickup truck and a wheelbarrow is a landscaper so I really need to make sure my marketing dollars are well spent. I try and concentrate on the personal approach. Knocking on doors and leaving potential clients with some literature (brochure, flyer, even a business card) is my best way for getting new clients. Cold calling businesses as well and asking them if they would like a quote for property maintenance works as well.

My second best marketing strategy is my website. I have put a lot of time into it to make sure my online presence is known in my area. And it is paying off...finally.

I would suggest for you just starting up is to bang on doors introduce yourself and make a good first impression.

Steve
02-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Those are some very good points!

Curtis have you been harnessing the power of the internet to market your business? Do you have a website yet? Have you advertised on craigslist, merchant circle, etc? They are free to advertise on.

curtis44
02-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Those are some very good points!

Curtis have you been harnessing the power of the internet to market your business? Do you have a website yet? Have you advertised on craigslist, merchant circle, etc? They are free to advertise on.

No not just yet, But they are definitely on my to do list.